overall

RATINGS: 301   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92   IBU: 131   EST. CALORIES: 338   ABV: 11.25%
Simtra Triple IPA delivers a punch in the face with its very danky hop aroma derived from Simcoe and Citra hops. You wanted more hops you got them.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
FiremanChris (15) - - FEB 25, 2014
My 1st review here. A coworker who is a fellow hop head turned me on to the Simtra so I went down to my favorite liquor store and bought a bomber.. $10.99 for a 22ozer. Poured in a snifter glass bottled on 1/18/14 Aggressive pour with a 1-1/2" head. Beautiful amber/dark orange coloring with good carbonation. Wow, this looks amazing, can I drink this already?? Aroma is not what I expected... Heavy grapefruit/tangerine mixed with some dank hoppiness and a peach/mild papaya follow through. Astringency is present. Smells like I could put this in a spray bottle to clean my stove but that would be a waste of a great beer.. Taste is very bitter up front, hop forward with fruity undertones. Once again, very astringent.. bitter. Just enough bready/maltiness to mask the 11.25% ABV but I feel the warmness in my neck and chest, and it makes me wish I was drinking this beer in a ski lodge in between runs.. Make no mistake this is a potent beer for sure.. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and very smooth. In a blind taste test you would not guess that itís over 11% ABV but after finishing a bomber you would feel it.. Very drinkable for the high ABV.. After every sip you are left with a bitter taste on your tongue that can only be quenched with another sip.. Overall Iím very impressed with this beer. I would not put this in the same class as Pliny the Elder/Enjoy By/Etc.. but this is a "must try" for any DIPA lover..

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
callmemickey (2471) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 23, 2014
Dark orange-amber, large off-white head, soapy lacing. Grapefruit, resin, pine and a decent amount of pale and caramel malts. Medium to full bodied, moderate carbonation, assertive bitterness. Big and burly.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
gyllenbock (4397) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - FEB 17, 2014
Sample at The Bistro DIPA-Festival, February 8. (my first one from this brewery) Clear golden with a white head. Really bitter with grapefruit, some mango and grass. The finish was dry and bitter.

mililani (24) - - FEB 9, 2014
Very similar to PTY. I know. I just had the PTY 2014 release a day ago and had a Simtra afterwards. My wife and friend also agreed. If anyone wants to know what PTY tastes like, get this beer now.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Howlader (593) - - JAN 29, 2014
Large format bottle a friend got in a trade, served in a snifter glass. Really great double (triple?) IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Tongan77 (115) - Ventura, California, USA - JAN 27, 2014
From bottle! Pours a cloudy orange with a nice white head. Aroma is of citrus notes. Taste is very hoppy with a nice finish. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
PhilJackson80 (294) - Oklahoma, USA - JAN 23, 2014
UPDATED: APR 20, 2014 22 oz Bomber. The beer pours to light orange / dark golden color. The aroma is very strong with grapefruit, citrus, tropical fruit scents. The taste has a fresh hop , citrusy, piney taste to it. Very good balance in the flavor for the 11.2 ABV. I did not notice the alcohol much at all. The beer i got had virtually no carbonation so i’m not sure it’s the best representation of the beer but still has an excellent flavor & aroma to it. Would like to try again with more carbonation & a little fresher to see how it compares. Updated 2/13/14: I tried another bottle of this today & the beer had a much fresher taste to it with a lot more carbonation to it. The aroma was about the same but the flavor & mouthful was much better on this one. Absolutely a great beer will be buying another one after this tasting.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
CheersMate (1305) - Fremont (Seattle), Washington, USA - JAN 21, 2014
22 oz. bottle from the Santa Clarita Whole Foods. Bottle date: 1/5/2014/. Iíve got a fairly fresh beer here, so itís not going to get any better. Aroma is an amalgam of bubblegum, orange peel, grapefruit, and maybe a little pine. I have a bit of a cold, so only my left nostril seems to be picking things up, but what it does pick up is quite nice. Itís nice and sweet, first, but then it develops into this mammoth orange, bubblegum, pine, and dare I say spicy flavor. Thereís a lingering bitterness, which is quite nice. To tell you the truth - the alcohol is well hidden, however, there is some detectable booziness in there. Overall, this is nice, but for $10 for a bomber. Even that, these days, is getting quite steep for a well-rounded, double IPA. People may say, "Itís 11.12% ABV, so itís worth the money." I get that Iím getting more alcohol, but since when did high ABV = high price? Good stuff, but this will be the last time I buy at this price.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
cobaink2 (48) - seattle, Washington, USA - JAN 19, 2014
Huge triple ipa. Grapefruit and hops really shine through. It's not quite as full bodied as I was hoping. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jrob21 (2463) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - JAN 18, 2014
Bomber from bevmo. At 11.25 this is one of the higher alcohol contents I can recall for an ipa. Does not let you down flavor malt or arom wise. Pretty intense citrus and bubblegum hop flavor and aroma. Tangerine and other tropical flavors working as well. Oh god the hops just donít stop. Getting different hop flavors as it warms and with each sip. More bubblegum coming out. Really nice.