Kona Big Island Ginger Beer

overall

RATINGS: 11   MEAN: 3.32/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.11   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 189   ABV: 6.3%
Produced from the second runnings of the barley wine, it's light brown in color with a big bouquet of ginger aroma, slightly spicy flavor and crisp, dry finish. Fresh Big Island-grown ginger root was added during the brewing and conditioning stages to achieve different flavor and aroma characteristics.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
MaxxDaddy (410) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - JAN 9, 2011
Tap at brewery. Pours copper with minimal head. Aroma is mostly sweet toasted malts. I thought I smelled ginger at first, but I couldnít find it after that. Taste brings some fermented sweetness. Not a whole lot going on with this beer, which is disappointing. Thin mouthfeel and clean finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
can8ianben (1343) - Souderton, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 17, 2010
Okay - I must admit, I couldnít detect any ginger in the aroma, and very little ginger in the flavor. But those at my table thought I was crazy - everyone else could taste a ton of ginger. So for me, this was merely a mediocre blonde ale. But Iím sure others would find it differently.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Daytonbeer (662) - Ohio, USA - DEC 11, 2010
Pours a light brown collor with white head. Some lacing. Aroma is strong ginger. Taste is hoppy with loads of ginger. Not a ginger beer fan, but this one is respectable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Dogbrick (8657) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 7, 2010
UPDATED: DEC 17, 2010 Sample at the brewpub in Kailua. The beer is a clear copper-orange color with a medium off-white head that disappears quickly. Short stringy lacing on the glass. Sweet ginger and malt in the nose. Light body with a sweet spice character and citrus and malt flavors. The finish is mildly spiced with a faint citrus aftertaste. Slightly above average overall.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
decaturstevo (5206) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - NOV 3, 2010
Copper with creamy off white head and lace. Ginger dominates the nose. Ginger, dry malt, with light to medium bitter. Medium bodied with good carbonation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
nqualls (1452) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 1, 2009
On tap at Koko Marina. Poured a orange/amber color with a small white head. Aroma of ginger and malt with some citrus notes. Flavor was malty with a faint, not overpowering ginger flavor. Having some bad experiences with ginger beers in the past, I was pleasantly surprised by this one. A great Kona beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
elihapa (1525) - Honolulu, Hawaii, USA - DEC 28, 2008
On tap at Koko Marina. Pours reddish-orange with a white head. Aroma is pretty minimal, perhaps some estery notes. Flavor is bold, but perhaps a bit muddy. I struggled to really locate the ginger flavor, yet my girlfriend said she definitely tasted it. For me, Kona has toned it down to much. Ginger should be, at minimum, spicy, distinctive, and a great complement to hops. I didnít get that out of this brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
shrubber85 (7942) - Greenville, Indiana, USA - OCT 8, 2008
Tap. Ginger and malt aroma. Amber color with moderate head. Light ginger and barley malt flavor. Nice light beer with an excellent ginger flavor and only a mild burn in the finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
drseamus (103) - Troy, New York, USA - DEC 24, 2007
When I went to the brewery, they only had this beer available as a growler and not at the bar, so I went out on a limb and decided to get a growler. I poured it into a pint glass when I got back home to NY. It has a slightly dark amber color and is a bit darker than I remember it being in Hawaii, so it could have changed in the belly of the plane. The taste is the same as Hawaii though, so it didnít change that. You can definitely smell the ginger along with a slight malty aroma. The aroma is milder than I expected a ginger beer to be. Ginger dominates the taste, but it is not a sweet ginger taste like I was expected. It is very dry and there is very little hop flavor. The mouthfeel is pleasantly light although it would be a bit better if it was a bit sweeter. Overall, this is a good beer. I wish I had more than a growler to drink now that Iím back in NY and 5000 miles away.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
kseecs16 (1207) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - NOV 28, 2006
On tap at the brew pub 11/3/06. Brownish copper pour with a small off-white head that would lace. Aroma was fairly mild but definitely evident of ginger. A little dry and bitter, ginger was evident and slightly sweet. Smooth medium body. Nice.