Kona Koko Loco Coconut Stout

(RETIRED)

RATINGS: 2   MEAN: 4.1/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Brewed in the milk stout style - with one important, island-style twist. 100% pure coconut milk was added to the stout during the whirlpool. The result is a dark beer rich in color and flavor - with a smooth, creamy, slightly sweet and nutty finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jimmbo123 (44) - Washington, USA - JUL 27, 2009
My favorite at Oregon Brewer’s Festival 2009. I tried this twice, they were out by about 1:30pm Saturday or I would have bought a full mug. It was fabulous each time I tried it regardless of which type of beer I had just got done drinking. Very smooth, very good flavor, not as sweet as Rogue Hazelnut Brown. If you drink it fairly fast the coconut flavor becomes unnoticeable and it tastes like a very good brown ale. Take some time between sips in order to taste the coconut.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
ElGaucho (2200) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - FEB 22, 2005
One of two cask beers available at the Kailua-Kona brewpub. Also known as their "Coconut Stout". Faint chocolate aroma. Excellent cascading lace. Coconut flavor is subdued, to the point where it is not likely I would have picked out the flavor without knowing it was a coconut beer. A good beer, just a touch overly subdued. I’m glad to see a Hawaiian brewer experiment with Hawaiian flavors. What I would really like to see is a Macadamia nut brown. And, although it would be tough to do well, a Pineapple ale would be fun to try as well.