Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 676   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.77   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 15   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
Limited release. Swimming in a fresh water pool at the base of a cascading waterfall is what we all imagine we would find in paradise. On Maui, follow the old Hana Highway and you will find such a place – Wailua Falls. This plunging cascade of clear water is the inspiration for our Limited Release Wailua Wheat. This golden, sun colored ale has a bright, citrusy flavor that comes from the tropical passion fruit we brew into each batch. Sit back, relax and enjoy paradise anytime.

Editor’s Note: Lilikoi Wheat was renamed to Wailua Wheat (both on draft and in bottle).

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
pintsize (1042) - Austin, Texas, USA - AUG 29, 2007
Bottle. Nice crisp golden color. Smells very doughy and metallic. Interesting flavor, hints of orange and passion fruit. A little tart on the palate. Drinkable, but it tastes like it is going bad. Almost feels heavy on the palate too. Creamy for such a golden beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
lb4lb (2574) - Austin, Texas, USA - AUG 28, 2007
American wheats are some of my favorite beers, while passionfruit is easily one of my favorite fruits. Even so, this was a slight bit disappointing, but not terrible. Poured a light gold with a nice head in a weizen glass. Smell of passionfruit was light, but noticeable, along with a touch of wheat after a while. Very unique taste, with hints of passionfruit throughout, and definitely in the aftertaste. My bottle’s body was almost creamy, and less carbonated than I prefer, keeping it from being as crisp and refreshing as I like in the style. The passionfruit flavor gives the beer a slightly odd musty, tartness that I didn’t think meshed really well together also. Overall, I’m glad I got to try it, but won’t be rushing to get a 6 pack before it’s not available anymore.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Ron (3106) - Rochester, New York, USA - AUG 25, 2007
My friend Chaz just came back from Maui and he brought back a few bottles of beer. I went over tonight for a tasting. This brew did not form much of a head, but the aroma was big on the passion fruit. This wheat was filled with the passion fruit flavor. It was not overpowering, but light and refreshing. I recomend this for warm weather drinking. Almost felt like I was in Hawaii.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
JohnC (3004) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - AUG 23, 2007
I had this on draft at the brewpub. This is more of a fruit beer than a wheat beer, IMO, the flavor of passion fruit stnads out as the key characteristic. I enjoyed it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
golubj (1377) - San Mateo, California, USA - AUG 22, 2007
Draft at Duke’s in Huntington Beach. Smells and tastes pretty dry for a wheat beer. Seemed like a slightly tastier version of an american pale lager.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
DocLock (8691) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 17, 2007
Bottle. Clear deep gold color with 1-finger white head. Aroma of hopcitrus, slight honey, slight passion fruit. Tastes of pale malt at first, with mid-palate honey, hopcitrus and some mild finishing fruit. Medium palate heft. The fruit is integrated well into this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
yesyouam (1016) - Fairport, New York, USA - AUG 14, 2007
Wailua Wheat is a clear golden ale with a white head that quickly fades to a faint blotch. It’s quite sparkling and it leaves good lacing. There is a lot of passion fruit in the nose. The malt comes through as carroty. It smells like a mixed drink-- a bit perfumy. It has a medium light body that is prickly on the tongue and leaves the mouth a little chalky. The hops blend seamlessly into the fruit flavor. There are elements of champagne (not brut) and maybe dry mead. The hops finally deliver at the end and rattle the palate. Who woulda thunk it? It’s a nice surprise-- a tropical session bitter. Any reason why this isn’t in the fruit beer category?

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
emobassfoo (178) - Webster, New York, USA - AUG 11, 2007
Rated while drinking: Pours a pale piss color with a chunky white head. This mostly dissipates with OK lacing. Reeks of the passion fruit, but smells exotic and very appealing. I bet I would never associate the aroma with a beer in other circumstances. Tastes almost identical to the aroma. Lots of passion fruit in the mouth. Doesn’t taste like an extract though; very natural and fresh tasting. Crisp and clean on the palate; a little watery but expected in a wheat beer. If this beer were readily available, I’d definitely buy this over the Long Trail Blackbeary for my refreshing summer beer. I’m sure lots of ladies would dig this beer too.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
greenhorn1 (850) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - AUG 9, 2007
12 oz bottle from bottletrek.com. Pours a golden light yellow with a head that quickly disappears. Aroma is grainy and can barely smell some fruitiness. Wheat flavor and you can faintly taste the passion fruit. Light mouthfeel, high carbonation and no finish. Interesting beer, but not that bad. Good on a hot summer day.

TechGuy07 (3) - San Jose, California, USA - AUG 7, 2007 does not count
Oh My God. I go to this brewary every time at christmas, and have always been impressed with thier beers. This is definetly my favorite. Great passion fruit flavor, but not too sweet. Very refreshing wheat beer, goes down easy. I hope this one stays around for a while.