overall
Brewed by Köstritzer Schwarzbierbrauerei (Bitburger)
Style: Schwarzbier
Bad Köstritz, Germany

RATINGS: 1892   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.33   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
Speziell veredelte Gerstenmalze verleihen der Köstritzer Bierspezialität ihr einzigartig feines Malzaroma.
Mit dem spritzig-eleganten Charakter entsteht ein unverwechselbares Geschmackserlebnis.
Genießen Sie Deutschlands beliebtestes Schwarzbier. 11.4°

Since April 1991, the Köstritzer black beer brewery, a subsidiary of the Bitburger brewery, has emerged as of one of the most modern breweries in Thuringia. In September 1993, it was with great pride we (re-) introduced the "original Köstritzer black beer".

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Quevillon (2674) - Boisbriand, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 24, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 9, 2007 Légère mais savoureuse, elle a un goùt que ne tombe pas sur le coeur. Pour ceux et celles qui croivent que la bières noirs, surtout ce style là, sont loudres, oubliez ça!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kosovar (48) - repentigny, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 24, 2006
L’eau à la bouche, je l’ai bu jusqu’à la dernière goutte! Sa couleur donne un avant gout très fidèle du petit plaisir caramélisé qu’elle procure. Si cette bière était une femme, elle serait surement vierge.

GG (2332) - NorCal, California, USA - JAN 23, 2006
After travelling a bit to get the famed "Black Beer" of Germany, I was not dissapointed in the least as the beer definitely lived up to its reputation as a great beer. As I poured the beer, a nice thick head tan colored head greeted me and it dissapated fairly quickly. The first aroma that hit me was that of pipe tobacco (I know, pretty weird). Then I could smell a black licorice scent as well. I had a hard time believing this was not a stout, because it showed all the signs of being just that. The first taste did not leave me dissapointed, as I could taste a faint roasted chocolate flavor that was not overly sweet at all and it had a nice bite to it. If I didn’t have to drive 2 hours to get this beer, I’d have it stocked all the time. I consider it to be the "little brother" to my favorite stouts. All the characteristics of a stout, just not quite as grown up. Excellent choice

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jb (2542) - Rochester, New York, USA - JAN 21, 2006
I wish my bottle poured out the nice head the picture had. Mine was flat as a pancake. Color was the same as the photo at least. The beer is fine with coffee aroma, Caramel and roasted grainy palate, with some sweetness, and a dry finish. Palate and all is a bit thin, but I think designed to be delicate, not overpowering.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
yalnikim (800) - Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - JAN 19, 2006
Tasted 15/01/2006. 330ml bottle brom Regional Wines and Spirits. Pours a dark, dark brown, with with garnet hues. Tan head that disappears and laces, just slightly. Coffee, caramel and some wood on the nose - mild but appealing. Chocolate and a dry caramel flavour, with hardly any bitterness but a roasty astringency. Hop flavour is just a little spicey. Medium weight, low carbonation and clean finish give this a superb presence in the mouth. Extremely good session beer that I’d love to taste fresh.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
kfarrnd (113) - Oldsmar, Florida, USA - JAN 19, 2006
Bottle. Poured a dark, rich brownish black with some tinges of red and a thick dark tan head that had some staying power. The aroma is strong coffee and roasted malt with a whiff of molasses. The flavor is quite malty initially with some hints of bitter chocolate and coffee and a crisp bitter hops finish. Slightly thin on the palate, but quite smooth. Delicious beer overall.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
oldrtybastrd (3222) - Fort Walton Beach, Florida, USA - JAN 19, 2006
Pours a dark reddish brown color. Aromas of roasted malts, bits of chocolate and coffee. Flavor has a nice bitter roast taste and a touch of hops on the finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
bfeldmann (1049) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - JAN 18, 2006
"pours a dark ruby color. Aroma was of roasted malts and chocolate can carmel. A little thin but tasted of chocolate and carmel, has a little bit of a bitter finish to it."

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
DKlovesbeer (172) - Sarasota, Florida, USA - JAN 9, 2006
I was very impressed by this beer. Pours black with a tan head that sticks around for a while and leaves pretty lacing as it settles. Aroma is malty and dry, clean and crisp. Flavor is smooth and understated with notes of toasted malt and crisp hops throughout the palate. Overall, I was particularly interested in trying this beer because I wasn’t a huge fan of Sam Adams Black Lager and I wanted to try a different black lager to see if it was the beer or the style. I guess it’s the beer because I thought this one was crazy damned good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Strykzone (5626) - Wood River, Illinois, USA - JAN 7, 2006
Bold and malty and delicious. Some roasted maltiness was evident as was some nice bitterenss. A fine beer!