overall
Brewed by Královský pivovar Krušovice (Heineken)
Style: Schwarzbier
Krusovice, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 879   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.99/5   IBU: 19   EST. CALORIES: 114   ABV: 3.8%
Editor’s note: Ratings of the Swedish 3.5% ABV version should also be entered here.

Harmony between taste and beauty - Dark beer is the traditional product of the Royal Brewery of Krušovice and for more than 100 years the production of this beer has not stopped. The beer has a full, sweet caramel taste and a light hop flavour. The high quality of the raw ingredients assures the excellent taste of the beer. There are several types of malt, natural spring water from the Křivoklát Wood and hops from the Žatec area.
9.7° 90 EBC.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Ethereal (2421) - Los Angeles, California, USA - MAR 27, 2008
Bottle. Colour of dark chocolate with a light caramel malt aroma. Cream coloured head that persists quite well and leaving a little lace. Definitely a session beer, with a light palate and a restrained, smooth, cocoa-esque flavour. Not bad, but I personally much prefer the strong, heavier Budvar Dark.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 5/20
KingofCastle (207) - London, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 22, 2008
can: Not a big fan of this style at all. Tastes like dark lager or porter, with roasted coffee notes. I’m sure this is a stellar example of style but I’d rather have a stout or full bodied english ale. Next!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
NJBeerman013 (1054) - Hamilton Twp., New Jersey, USA - MAR 20, 2008
Bottle. This is definitely my new beer of choice for dark session nights. It is a chocolatey brown in color with a soft creamy tan head. It has a pleasantly sweet, mildly toasted aroma. The flavor is smooth, roast coffee mixed with a touch of caramel. This is one of those beers you can drink all night long, especially at such a low ABV.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
sirPino (883) - Zawiercie/Sosnowiec, POLAND - MAR 3, 2008
Rated first time 11.01.2007
Bottle 500ml
Beautiful look.(however head is not very much lasting, off-brown), aroma of caramel, slightly burned malts and cocoa, flavour of chocolate, coffee, roast, exelent for a Bohemian black lager. Medium-smoked, strong taste, strong full rounded. The best Shwarzbeer I’ve ever had and I like it very much. Each time worth buying another one. Characteristic and not forgetable taste makes it interesting choice. Grate with sweets and desserts.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
jcwattsrugger (11903) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - FEB 9, 2008
16.9 oz bottle-pours a big foamy light tan head and black color. Aroma is medium/dark malt-roasty/earthy chocolate, some English yeast, hint of dark fruit. Taste is medium/dark malt-roasty/earthy, chocolate, light hops bite, some English yeast, hint of dark fruit. OK/mild carbonation. Finish a bit thin like a Euro dark lager.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
douglas88 (8023) - Portland, Oregon, USA - FEB 3, 2008
Bottle. Pours a dark brown with a nice light cream colored head. The aroma is mostly roasted malts, some nuts and dark fruit. The taste is similar with the main flavor being a smooth light fruity aspect, with some roasted malt. Really thin, but is actually pretty good. Drinkable.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
pojo41 (315) - Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA - JAN 22, 2008
Bottle. The best thing about this beer was the color. Very dark brown to nearly black with a thin white head that actually lasted to the end. No lacing to speak of in my mug. Not much aroma and a metallic taste along with a thin mouthfeel make this a below average beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 7/20
3fourths (8989) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JAN 17, 2008
I don’t know why I bought this. I saw it and it looked good, with it’s shiny gold foil (shiny!) and black and red logo. I thought I had a chance at something awesome that I’d normally pass up at the store, and I like schwarzbier. I don’t exactly love it, I kind of love the idea of schwarzbier more than I actually like the schwarzbier I’ve tried, but still I thought this had a shot at being something good, or at the very least, something different, which I’m craving these days. Ok, so the nose is all acetone smothered stale grains with a light dab of smoke thrown in for kicks, and it tastes stale, old, and putrid, and for some reason I’m thinking about what it’s like to lick a concrete block. I’ve never licked a concrete block, but this beer is how I would describe the taste of a concrete block. The finish throws in a bit of burnt brocolli and some stale celery, just, you know, in case you were really craving a plate of old, soggy vegetables.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
greenmanalishi (519) - Leicestershire, ENGLAND - JAN 15, 2008
roastiness, dark fruits, some liquorice, cocoa...unfortunately all watered down. shame.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
mcbackus (758) - Merritt Island, Florida, USA - JAN 5, 2008
bottle: poursa dark brown with a very bubbly tan head. aroma is slightly roasty, small chocolate, some very sweet malt. flaovur is a light roast asn off sweet malt and very small hints of chocolate. an odd underliying watery bitter throughout.