overall
Brewed by Královský pivovar Krušovice (Heineken)
Style: Schwarzbier
Krusovice, Czech Republic

RATINGS: 873   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.99/5   IBU: 19   EST. CALORIES: 114   ABV: 3.8%
Editor’s note: Ratings of the Swedish 3.5% ABV version should also be entered here.

Harmony between taste and beauty - Dark beer is the traditional product of the Royal Brewery of Krušovice and for more than 100 years the production of this beer has not stopped. The beer has a full, sweet caramel taste and a light hop flavour. The high quality of the raw ingredients assures the excellent taste of the beer. There are several types of malt, natural spring water from the Křivoklát Wood and hops from the Žatec area.
9.7° 90 EBC.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
pojo41 (315) - Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA - JAN 22, 2008
Bottle. The best thing about this beer was the color. Very dark brown to nearly black with a thin white head that actually lasted to the end. No lacing to speak of in my mug. Not much aroma and a metallic taste along with a thin mouthfeel make this a below average beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 7/20
3fourths (8962) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JAN 17, 2008
I don’t know why I bought this. I saw it and it looked good, with it’s shiny gold foil (shiny!) and black and red logo. I thought I had a chance at something awesome that I’d normally pass up at the store, and I like schwarzbier. I don’t exactly love it, I kind of love the idea of schwarzbier more than I actually like the schwarzbier I’ve tried, but still I thought this had a shot at being something good, or at the very least, something different, which I’m craving these days. Ok, so the nose is all acetone smothered stale grains with a light dab of smoke thrown in for kicks, and it tastes stale, old, and putrid, and for some reason I’m thinking about what it’s like to lick a concrete block. I’ve never licked a concrete block, but this beer is how I would describe the taste of a concrete block. The finish throws in a bit of burnt brocolli and some stale celery, just, you know, in case you were really craving a plate of old, soggy vegetables.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
greenmanalishi (519) - Leicestershire, ENGLAND - JAN 15, 2008
roastiness, dark fruits, some liquorice, cocoa...unfortunately all watered down. shame.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
mcbackus (758) - Merritt Island, Florida, USA - JAN 5, 2008
bottle: poursa dark brown with a very bubbly tan head. aroma is slightly roasty, small chocolate, some very sweet malt. flaovur is a light roast asn off sweet malt and very small hints of chocolate. an odd underliying watery bitter throughout.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
daniellerose7 (119) - new york, New York, USA - JAN 4, 2008
Drink this on tap at Zlata Praha in Queens with a giant plate of pork goulash, sourkraut and dumplings. Seriously. Smooth, malty Schwarzbier, but a little too watery and light-bodied for this genre in my opinion.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BBB63 (6507) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - DEC 26, 2007
Bottle and served in clear stein: Deep mahogany hue with a small but lasting creamy head and very good lace. The aroma has a beautiful fruity estery nose of plum and red grape along with charred and toasty malts, some chocolate, road tar and oxidized herbal hops. The taste is straight forward with a smoky and caramel malt entrance supported off stage by some mild Czech hops. A interesting play of mineral water and a hint of tannic wood. I also found some anise and plum flavor dancing about. The mouth feel is sprite but abit watery and chalky. All in all this is a high quality Schwarzbier that does not get the respect it should. A good CHEAPDARK SESSION BIER, know that.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jbean (110) - Illinois, USA - DEC 24, 2007
Draught in Prague. Dark brown with thick, frothy, beige head. Flavor and aroma is sweet and malty. Caramel flavor, but mouth feel is watery. First beer I drank in the Czech Republic at a wonderful restaurant in Prague (didn’t note the name...), so that gives it a little sentimental value. A decent beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
estpiwo (1319) - ESTONIA - DEC 21, 2007
Canned. Dark brown beer. Aroma is sweet and malty. Caramel flavor, but watery. Aftertaste isnt long. Not so exciting

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Doppelganger (1388) - Dry County, Arkansas, USA - DEC 20, 2007
Dark copper, smallish tan head. Lightly toasted brown bread and a touch of caramel. Light bodied, very gentle toast. Very drinkable, though not very noteworthy.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Maria (10205) - Thisted, DENMARK - DEC 16, 2007
Black/brown with a light brown and creamy head. The first time I tasted it I liked it, but didn’t really pay enough attention to it. the second time I fell a bit in love with it... It’s easy to drink, has a low ABV and a good body. The aroma has notes of roasted malt, and so does the flavour, where I also find notes of caramel, licorice and a nice bitterness. Whenever I go to Germany, I buy this one, but it’s also relatively cheap here in Denmark from time to time...