overall

RATINGS: 472   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.1   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 405   ABV: 13.5%
December 2005 batch #4 of Fourth Dementia that spent 6 months in a bourbon barrel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
thedm (4971) - Fort Wayne, USA - JUN 26, 2010
This bottled brew from a bottle shop poured a head of medium sized clear colored bubbles that were quickly diminishing and left behind a transparent dark orange brown colored body and a oily lacing. The old ale aroma was nutmeg brown malt and woody. The smooth mouth feel was weakly tingly at the start and at the finish. The nice flavor contained notes of old ale and vinous. Delicious and one I would certainly like to have again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
nimbleprop (5202) - SouthWest, Washington, Washington DC, USA - APR 9, 2010
12oz bottle pours a darker copper, amber than the non barrel aged version. Nose of raisins, prunes, grapes, caramel. Salty aroma too. The malts here have oxidized, salty, sweet, caramel, apples. Finish is still a little hot, boozy, full bodied. When I say things have oxidized, thatís an acquired taste... and one I like.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Travlr (13323) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - APR 6, 2010
2005 bottle. Thin brown color. Aroma of caramel, butterscotch. Some bourbon in the taste. Interesting and tasty.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
GT2 (8741) - San Diego County, California, USA - APR 5, 2010
Bottle- red wax. Pours a cloudy amber with not much of a head. Aroma is huge toffee, gold raisins, tiramisu, rich chocolate, vanilla. Very nice. Taste is gold raisins, toffee, spices, very barleywine like. Some of the 11% starts to show through in the finish. Sweet, thick, sticky.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
jarspag (601) - San Francisco, California, USA - FEB 25, 2010
UPDATED: APR 7, 2010 2005 Bottle shared w/ Chris & Simon. The type of beer you crack open, hold to your nose, smile, then laugh...donít get much better than this. I really wanted to objectively "rate" this ... Very few beers that Iíve come across can compare. So rich, so decadent, so "WOW!". This is just about perfect for my taste ... that deep, dark, caramel - raisin - choco - fig - amazing wood combo ... smoothed out with a ridiculous velvety mouthfeel...a gum massage. Sweet, but in an amazing way ... that powerful sweet that stays dry. If there was ever a beer that overwhelmed the taste buds with the smallest of sips, this is it. Amazing how well this has held up. Slight oxidation, but no where near going far south. Hopefully we meet again

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
tomspalla (9) - Orange Beach, Michigan, USA - AUG 27, 2009 does not count
A wonderfully complex beer that changes itís mouthfeel and aroma while it warms in your hands. Thankfully it can now be found at a select few distributors around Detroit.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - AUG 8, 2009
Kuhnhenn Brewing is a tiny brewery in Warren, Michigan which brews small batch artisanal ales that you would swear the brewing goddesses above had blessed. Rare, coveted, and possibly even worshiped, their ales encapsulate the time-honored tradition of small batch artisanry which I imagine many of our fore-mothers and fore-fathers of brewing held dear. In little hamlets and villages the world over, a skilled brewer was the pride of the town, and their wares were quite often top-notch, enjoyed and sacredly coveted by knowledgeable outsiders. I would put myself on the coveting side seeing as I have only been able to sup on two of their beers so far. Small bottles big on flavor and character, I can see, smell, and taste the heavens in their beer.

Deep dirty amber brown with a fluffy tan head. As her tan clouds descend upon the murky seas below, lace crackles and sparks along the sides of my glass, striking in playful intervals. With each strike, smoking wood and dank, dark nutrient-rich earth sizzles underneath. Brown spices mingle with apple skins and sun-dried prunes. Cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, sage, and rosemary highlight sweet prunes and the crisp citric acidity of red apple skins. She is very forestry and woody; I feel as if I have stumbled into the Black Forests of Germany centuries past where majesty lingers in the air with a heavy presence. Despite her dampness, there is an underlying presence of dry wood tannins, and I simply cannot take it anymore. Diving headfirst into her body, I am enveloped in an array of tastes and textures; dry, sweet, spiced, rummy, earthy, and woody. Wood tannins immediately work their palate cleansing pleasures atop my tongue while her alcohol warmth permeates my body. Her warmth lingers in each breath with nutmeg and cinnamon sticks while sticky my lips reveal butterscotch and maple. A solid palate, she focuses the brunt of her attack in the middle, choosing to come in with a whisper, conquer, and then leave just the same. Prunes and raisins finish last with a deep chewy sweetness. As we part ways, more warmth, spice, dry wood tannins, and the crisp crunch of red apple skins linger in sweet memoriam.

When I sup on a beer like this, there is clarity of understanding in my heart and in my mind. I understand why, for centuries, brewers were lauded sacred positions in society. Beyond being liquid bread, I imagine that many of their brews were heralded for their taste and flavor; a life-enhancing beverage which was also a gourmand experience of heavenly origins. Vinophiles can have their viticulture. Iíll stick to my beer, continuing my sacred quest for the fruits of Kuhnhenn Brewing.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Saarlander (1686) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - JUN 21, 2009
A great brew shared awhile back at my tasting in the rain..Dark fruits, Bourbon vanilla, sugary, rich, like desert in a glass, easy to drink,well balanced, I forgot who brung it, but thanks!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Lothore (556) - California, USA - JAN 28, 2009
A- Pours a deep, murky brownish hue with no head whatsoever. S- Smell is huge. Mixed dark fruits, raisins, figs, brown sugar, possibly a hint on bourbon on the back end. T- Taste is gigantic deep and dark with plenty of raisin and fig notes with a vinous quality to them. Ends very full with lots of bourbon. M- Thick and sticky with very little carbonation. D- Honestly, I liked kuhnhennís bourbon barleywine a lot better. This reminded me a lot more of extaneous ale and was a little over the top for me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Cletus (6354) - Connecticut, USA - JAN 25, 2009
2004 bottle: Pours brown with a thin white head. Smells of earthy malt, dusty, some nice dark fruity hints. Tastes tea like and fruity with some caramel and molasses on the finish. Good!

2005 bottle: Similar to the 2004 in color and mouthfeel, but with more velvety sugary bourbon like hints. Overall, a very enjoyable beer!