Kuhnhenn Coffee Rauch

click to upload

Formerly brewed at Kuhnhenn Brewing
Style: Smoked
Warren, Michigan USA

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 3.47/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Dark ale, low hop flavor, dominant coffee chocolate/caramel flavor.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
detroiter (958) - Euphoria, Minnesota, USA - JAN 17, 2007
Pours a deep dark cloudy brown with a good two inches of thick fluffy head. Thick rings of lace throughout. Prevalent coffee and chocolate aroma. Rauch? No idea why they call it Rauch. I tasted absolutely no smoke. Asked the barkeep if it was supposed to be a smoke beer - she had no idea what I meant by smoke beer. Ah well. It was very heavy on the sweet chocolate and caramel malt. A little too heavy for my taste - I did not find it to be balanced enough by roastiness, coffee, or hops. Coffee was there, but in this beer it came across as sweet like coffee liquer. Full body, lightly carbonated, too rich for me due to the sweetness. Good beer - don’t get me wrong - but I would have liked it better if it were less sweet or more balanced. Just my opinion. Enjoyed my one glass but did not want a second. And I remain awful curious about the missing rauch...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
walleye (1061) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - JUN 21, 2004
had this about a month and half ago on tap sampler. pour dark ruby. aroma some chocolate and caramel weak hints of coffee. flavor berry fruits and I think banana and a mild taste of coffee.not to bad of a beer

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ClarkVV (3863) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - JUN 6, 2004
2004 draught. Pours a light brown, with some hints of amber/orange underneath. Good mocha colored head. Smells of caramel, light roasted coffee with some chocolate in there. Little smoke apparency in the aroma. No hops as well. The flavor is quite subtle for a coffee/smoked beer. Lots of light coffee mainly, and a sweet caramel malt asserts itself. Tastes very authentic and fresh. As the caramel wears off, there is some smoked flavor on the end, it is light and cedary, not big, oily and greasy. Hops not apparent. Body is medium, lightly watery, mild carbonation.