overall

RATINGS: 685   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
Deep ruby red ale. Extreme malty/caramel flavor; sweet up front, finishing with hop bitterness and aroma. Very complex beer. We recommend at least four more months of age. But it is a delight to drink now.
Batch 1 - brewed late 2003, draught only.
Batch 2 - brewed 8/1/2004
Batch 3 - brewed 2/16/2005
Batch 4 - brewed end of Dec. 2005 (part of this batch was bourbon-aged)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
nolankowal (931) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - OCT 5, 2006
From the Columbus tasting, sharde by bdburdman! Bournt caramel pour with an off white head. The aroma with very thick...bready and malty. The flavor brought out toffee, vanilla, coffee, chocolate, and caramel malt. Full bodied with a smooth carbonation. Would love another crack at this one!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Ughsmash (7154) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 29, 2006
Bottled on 8/1/2004, thanks to Mista Styles! Poured a deep, murky brown with a toffee head that receded to swirls after a half minute or so. One whiff of this and I knew my CPA studying was about shot for the night... rum-soaked prunes and other dark fruits jump out at the nose (and burn a few hairs).. aged caramel, toasted leafy hop bitterness, and a bit more alcohol to top it off... just a wonderful and intoxicating aroma. Flavor followed form, with rich, toasted fruity and caramel malts at the core, rustic, leafy hoppage, and alcohol rocking the whole experience (warm and complimentary all around). Very long, sticky, and warm dark fruit finish.. left me uber-satisfied! Thanks Chris!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
blankboy (6150) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 23, 2006
Bottle. Wow, this is a nice pour! Pours a very lively and bubbly dark ruby with an average size lasting creamy tan head. Awesome fruity aroma with caramel malt, hops, alcohol and some burnt notes. Flavour starts with dark fruit, caramel malt and alcohol and finishes nice and bitter -- a little boozy but very tasty. Medium to full bodied. Fantastic, there’s no question that this is one of the best Old Ales I’ve had.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
GregClow (2901) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 28, 2006
Bottle from the brewery. I’m still a little cheesed off that we saw a six-pack of this at Bello Vino for about 5 bucks less than what we paid for it at the brewery, but I tried not to let that taint my opinion. Pours a dark brown-ruby with a wispy head. Fantastic aroma - lots of caramel and slightly burnt malt, some dark fruit, and a helluvalot of hops coming through. Flavour is equally nice - sweet malt, toffee & fruit off the top, and nicely building hops to finish. Great mouthfeel as well to balance the big flavours. The bottle I had was brewed in February, so it was about 6 months old when I drank it, and it seemed just about perfect.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
drfabulous (4050) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - AUG 22, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 18, 2009 Very intense beer. Had it at the Michigan Beer Fest and the taste never left my mouth. I woke up the next day still tasting it. Never figured out if that was good or bad. Re:rate. It is now August 2009. Drinking a 2008 bottle received from dmschefke. The aroma is all too familiar. Malty and boozy. Sweet. Caramel. Toffee. Delicious. Maybe I was loaded when I first had this. Now it is fantastic. Up goes the rating.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jercraigs (7921) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 21, 2006
Bottle from the brewery. Dark brown body, small creamy beige head. Aroma is a touch muted, caramel malt, light notes of raisin. Very sweet caramel malt with a tangy note and a bitter finish. Smooth and lively medium palate. Pretty solid, but gets a bit boozey as the glass goes on. Remarkably similar to my Firestarter homebrew actually.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Brigadier (3015) - Clevelandish, Ohio, USA - AUG 19, 2006
Great Taste of the Midwest

My last rating of the day before making one final loop at closing. This was good though for some reason different than my expectations. I guess having something on your want list makes it seem more desireable than it may really be. Still very solid, it made a nice finish to a day of quality beers.

Aroma / Appearance - Caramel, chocolate, malts, cotton candy and lemons were the most obvious scents. A few others hid and refused to give up their secrets. A larger sample would have provided more opportunity to define them but I think I got most of what this beer had to offer. The body was a gorgeous amber red with lacing sliding down the sides. A short lived bubbly head soon faded; it might have been the pour that caused it.

Flavor / Palate - Caramel was the first thing to spring to mind. The flavor was a strange combination of sweet and bitter - it was like someone blended Golden puffs, confectionary sugar, beets (!) and melon into a pulp free liquid form. The alcohol left a slight trace but overall the finish was dry and somewhat bitter. I enjoyed this, though now that I have had it I don’t think I want to trade for more.

LeopoldStoch (201) - Green, Ohio, USA - AUG 9, 2006
A very dark red color almost burnt red. The aromas are a great roastiness with a big malt presence that leads to dark fruits flavors that is fairly sweet for this type of beer. But the roastiness defintely balances out the sweetness. This was a good beer, and another fine creation from kuhnhenn. Thanks to Black95tt for sharing a bottle of it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
beerbuzzmontreal (3490) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 9, 2006
Pours a clear reddish brown color with a thin tan head. Excellent aroma and flavor of roasted malt, caramel, moderate alcohol and hops, the experience finishes bitter and sweet. This might be the best old ale I’ve had so far, it’s an amazing beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Gorbalev (2927) - Ontario, CANADA - AUG 4, 2006
Bottle from the brewery. Dark ruby brown, very little head - yep, looks the part of an old ale! Aroma is strong - tons of caramel, burnt/roast, a carp load of hops mixed in with this sweet earthiness - this is one stunning aroma, I really don’t want to sip it, I want to keep smelling it!! Hops get you at first in the taste, but not overpowering. Nice oily sweet caramel taste, some notes of dark fruit, figs, grapes. Finishes with a mix of bitterness and an interesting earthy linger. Hard to imagine an old ale that comes close to this, what a stunning complex contemplative beer. Alcohol doesn’t really come in to the equation.