Kuhnhenn Gruit

click to upload

Formerly brewed at Kuhnhenn Brewing
Style: Traditional Ale
Warren, Michigan USA

RATINGS: 8   MEAN: 3.42/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.13   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
alexsdad06 (5865) - Ohio, USA - JUN 21, 2010
Sample @ MBGSF 08 (from notes). Pours a hazy golden color with a thin white head. The aroma is herbal, pale malts, light fruit. The flavor is pale malts, spices, herbal. Palate is light-medium bodied, medium carbonation, finishes tart. Definitely interesting; I do not have much experience with these kinds of beers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
vyvvy (4131) - Florissant, Missouri, USA - AUG 23, 2008
GTMW 08 - Pours hazy orange with a small white head. The aroma has an onslaught of spices that are dry, harsh, peppery and seem like they are from an Italian restaurant. Medium / light body with semi-sharp carbonation. The flavor starts with pleasant dry spice and light malt. The finish is like chewing on a bitter root. While this is not something I’m going to sit and enjoy a lot of, it is very well crafted and interesting.

1.4
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
SQNfan (591) - Wheaton, Illinois, USA - AUG 18, 2008
GTOM ’08 - This poured golden in color with a moderate white head. The nose was absolutely dominated with menthol/eucalyptus. This continued into the mouth which finish with a strong pine resin flavor. These are not my preferred flavors so this one did not work for me at all.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
xmarcnolanx (929) - Kirkwood, Missouri, USA - AUG 15, 2008
Tap GTMW 2008 Huge spiciness in the aroma. Intensely spicy, actually. Wow. Taste is very herbal and medicinal. This is overwhelming and interesting. I need to try more of these and get a re-rate. I am impressed with this brewery.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ogglethorp (917) - Ohio, USA - AUG 12, 2008
On tap at MBGSF 08. Pours hazy golden color with a thin white head. Aroma is herbal, light malts, light fruit. Flavor is light malts, spicy, herbal, hint of medicinal. Palate is medium to light bodied, medium carbonation, finished on the tart side. Reminded me of a cider. Nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Philip (436) - Illinois, USA - AUG 12, 2008
Great Taste 2008. The oddest beer I had of the day, and one that I’m still not sure I liked. I give credit to Kuhnhenn for pouring some really bizarre stuff. All I can say about this beer is that it had the most marijuana/hemp like odor and flavor of any beer I’ve tasted. Next to the weed was chamomile tea and lemon, followed by a sprucey finish. Just bizarre stuff, and very difficult to rate for that reason. I think Larry should seek out Eric for his Gruit recipe for next year’s Eccentric Ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
murrayswine (101) - Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 18, 2007
Had this at the Great Taste of the Midwest. Poured a hazy gold/straw with a thin head. Rather pretty on the eyes. The smell is hugely perfumed but not medicinal. touch of jasmine, clove, terrigan, and straw. Slight hop. Taste is overpowering, but delicious. The sweetness alonst goes full circle to take on a soap-like taste. Still, best I’ve had in style. Finish was smoother than I expected, like a good Earl Grey tea.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ClarkVV (3892) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 26, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 9, 2004 Wow, had no idea what to expect for a hopless beer. This was incredible, had I not tried the raspberry Eisbock, this would have been far and away my favorite beer during my visit to Kuhnhenn. Light gold color, with a decent white head. Smells of lightly sour/bitter herbs, ripe green apples and other tart fruits. Opens up with with the mouthfeel of a cider, fairly light and bubbly, but with a taste of pure balance and goodness. Had plenty of fruit character, kind of reminded me of Ocean spray cran-raspberry. Good malt flavor balances it, and it has a nice sour twang on the finish. New style for me and, here we go again, I'm off to hunt down more gruit and waste more time finding rare and eccentric beers. . .gotta love beer.