overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 926   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.17   EST. CALORIES: 465   ABV: 15.5%
Real raspberries abound in this chocolate caramel after dinner treat. Aged for a smooth texture and drinkability. This lager beer will handle additional age very well.
Batch 1 - brewed 2002, bottled same year 10.6%
Batch 2 - brewed late 2004, released 2005
Batch 3 - Brewed 2007, released very end of 2007
Batch 4 - Brewed 2012, released 2013 15.5%
Batch 5 - Brewed 2014, released late 2014

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
irishsnake (355) - Oakland, California, USA - AUG 30, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 27, 2006 beer pours (decants) a deep brownish red, with a pretty small head that laces well. pink tints in the lightly tan head. rich sweet malty nose w/big notes of chocolate and caramel (almost butterscotch, but Not diacetyl), rounded out by some warming alcohol notes. raspberries first show up in the flavor, providing an interesting tart fruit balance to big sweet chewy malt body. also some balance provided by alcohol. raspberries start to punch their way thru the malt nose as beer warms, also releasing rather pleasant alcohol notes (not headache inducing higher alcohols.) amazing balance and drinkability for a beer of this size.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hezron (611) - Viroqua, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 29, 2005
2004 6.3ozer picked up at Wonderís Pub in Madison. Aroma of white chocolate covered raspberries and chewy caramel. The chocolaty-caramel aroma really grows. It smells like a candy that I just canít put my nose on. Rich mahogany-ruby color with a thin off-white head. Time to take a drink,...Oh my gosh! Wonderful chocolate and caramel explosion of sweet raspberries. The fruit blends very well into the comlex eisbock. The initial flavor is amazing and rich, but then it fades fairly quickly. The finish is abrubt, but then a lingering, sweet, warming sensation sticks around in the back of my throat. Medium body, very easy to drink for a beer this strong. Left my palate fairly clean. Overall I really enjoyed this one, perfect after dinner drink.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
csbosox (1229) - Prairie Village, Kansas, USA - AUG 28, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 22, 2007 #300. 2004. Thanks to Footbalm for this EXTRA! I have aged it as long as I can, it has been in my cellar since late May. 6.3oz bottle with a pretty wax covering. Served at 69į in my NB worthy glass. The color is deep, dark red that borders on brown. The smallish head dies away quickly. There are striations of suspended particles throughout the beer. The smell is killer, it seeks you out. I am typing and am 1.5í from the beer and still I smell it. When I get my nose down there it is most predominantly raspberries (of course) , but there are notes of prunes, caramelized turbinado sugar, grape must, flowers?, and a smell reminiscent of cognac/brandy, not sure if it is the alcohol, if so, it is not abrasive at all. The mouthfeel is huge, almost like a syrup. The flavors are complex caramel, raspberry, strawberry, vanilla, yeast, tart citrus, the flavor is reminiscent of a raspberry liquor. Almost not too different from the spiced black raspberry liquor, Chambord, mixed with a caramelly dopplebock (might have to try that???). This would be heaven with a rich, chocolate dessert! Fruit beers are tough for me to properly evaluate, but this is just amazing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
stefanberggren (135) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 27, 2005
Wow this is something ! The aroma speaks loudly of raspberries, plum and soft wifts of alcohol. The color is deep mahogany with some glints of garnet. The first taste is not what I had anticipated, by that I mean I had thought for sure that raspberries would dominate. Not the case... I tasted chocolate, spice notes (nutmeg everso faint. Malt melanoidens.. It was actually dry in the finish. This would make a nice finish to a wonderful meal with some bread pudding ! The vintage tasted is 2005

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Radek Kliber (6700) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - AUG 25, 2005
Medium cloudy with little ring on top .Light brown. Raspberry aroma with blended with medium dark malt, woody, dried plums. Clean. Sticky texture, sweet raspberry front. Good dose of malt base. Moderate amount of alcohol presence. Nice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
ElGaucho (2307) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - AUG 24, 2005
GTM. It just so happens this will be my 1000th rating. I wonder how that happened? After waiting patiently in line for a miniscule sample, with others who were not waiting so patiently, I became concerned that they would run out before I reached the table. Luckily, out of the blue, MrFacto cut in line ahead of me for his second sample, grabbed my glass and gave it to the guy pouring before he got his own. Thanks again, Facto! Together with my driving to the Kuhnhenn brewery on a Sunday during a rain delay at Comerica Park only to find they werenít open, this was one of the most hard fought ratings I have procured. So to those who whine about how can it be possible to rate a beer with such a small sample, send me a bottle and Iíll re-rate it! Nectar of the gods. Liquid gold. Bourbon barrel aroma with no discernable hint of raspberries, especially if you didnít know to look for it. Thick, dark orange, brownish body with not that much in the way of head. Perfectly balanced. Unique. Like NG Raspberry Tart, but with more malt. Damn good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
DavidP (1747) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 21, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 26, 2005 12/26/2005 - Bottle to myself sample! 2004 bottle. Clear dark brown body, no head. Sweet chocolate mousse aroma with condensed sweet raspberries. The flavor thins out a bit with a tingly carbonated raspberry/alcohol over smooth creamy caramel. í05 GTMW samples (2 in one glass). Reddish-brown appearance. Toffee, caramel, raspberry, milky aroma. Reminds me of a strawberry cream oatmeal mix. The flavor stars with raspberry and follows with a very well-blended creamy, caramelly sweetness. Rich mouthfeel.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - AUG 18, 2005
Thanks to Phil (pdhabel) for providing this taste treat. A deep reddish brown color body devoid of any appreciable head. The aroma was raspberry, chocolate, cognac, bourbon, oak, toffee. Thick, syrupy, silky, smooth in the mouth. Memories of the Knickerbocker chocolate covered raspberry jellies of my youth. The flavor was that same combo of essences as the aroma but just a tad less impressive. This is something Iíd like to acquire more of and store to be drunk in a snifter while relaxing on a winterís evening.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 15, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 3, 2006 Bottle courtesy of Styles and Tap @ GTMW.

Glorious hazy caramel color with a tan head orchestrating a lacing symphony. Wonderful aroma of raspberries, cedar and toffee to support a cacophony of ideas. Oh so sweet. Major raspberry characteristics but not catapulting it to an intolerable sweetness. Chocolate and caramel malts dance in the background to deliver some signature eisbock elements. Thick, sweet toffee flavor and mouthfeel. Raspberry seeds and cream cheese danishes round out the finish. Memorable, to say the least.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Philip (436) - Illinois, USA - AUG 14, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 11, 2006 Poured by Eric Kuhnhenn (who didnít seem too happy at the moment) at the Great Taste of the Midwest, Madison, 8/13/2005. One of the finest aromas Iíve ever had from a beer. All the goodness of scotch and raspberries envelops oneís nostrils. The nose had me excited, perhaps too much so. (I had a similar experience with the Creme Brulee Stout. Incredible nose, but not as impressive on the palate.) It reminded me of Chambord on the palate a bit, combined with more oak and butter toffee. This was good stuff, but not the #2 beer in the world. Luckily, I was able to procure two bottles to store away for a few years. I think this will improve with cellaring. ReRating after sampling from bottle. Iím upping the palate 2 points, but sticking with my overall 16/20 and 7/10 for flavor. I realized last night that Iím just not a big fan of raspberry and white chocolate, and it was the white chocolate note that bugged me last night. If youíre a fan of raspberry white chocolate cheesecake, I know of no better beer for you. ANOTHER RERATE: 2004 bottle. Aging puts on more notes of chocolate, and Iím finding Iím liking this less and less.