Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 932   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.17/5   EST. CALORIES: 465   ABV: 15.5%
Real raspberries abound in this chocolate caramel after dinner treat. Aged for a smooth texture and drinkability. This lager beer will handle additional age very well.
Batch 1 - brewed 2002, bottled same year 10.6%
Batch 2 - brewed late 2004, released 2005
Batch 3 - Brewed 2007, released very end of 2007
Batch 4 - Brewed 2012, released 2013 15.5%
Batch 5 - Brewed 2014, released late 2014

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
boto (1981) - Granby, Connecticut, USA - SEP 14, 2005
6.3oz. 2004 bottle: There was a faint "pffft" when I popped the cap. This one poured out a cloudy slightly reddish-brown color. The head was about non-existent. The aroma is interesting. Definite notes of raspberry, but also a sourness to it. Also notes of a rich maltiness and some oakiness. It also reminds me somwwhat of a port. The raspberries are a big part of the taste, but not overpowering. There is an initial mild sweetness, that is followed by somewhat sour aftertaste. There is also a bit of a thickness and silkiness to the palate. The are also flavors of caramel and toffee in the mix. Absolutely no taste of alcohol, which is suprising given the 18% ABV. This is extremely nice. Much thanks to Pailhead for this fine brew!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
FlacoAlto (4045) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - SEP 8, 2005
6.3oz 2004 bottle, Sampled September 2005
Pours with the faintest trace of carbonation that creates a very small ring of fine bubbles that bubble up from the etched marking at the bottom of my Duvel tulip. The beer is a hazy amber-red color that shows a thin wispy tan head when roused. The aroma is thick with raspberries, but there is a rich malty note to it that stops it from becoming pure raspberry. As I go in for a deeper smell of the aroma the rich maltiness of this beer becomes much more apparent. My nose has become used to the raspberry note and I now get rich concentrated notes of caramel, toffee, and a toasty maltiness underneath the dominant raspberry note. Actually the more I think about it the more it seems to smell like a raspberry flavored chocolate malt ball.

The beer is quite thick on the palate, yet it is not nearly as sweet as I was expecting. There is some sweetness here but it is malty sweet as opposed to the typical sugary sweetness that I was expecting. The thing that really lingers on the palate after the beer has been swallowed is the rich concentrated maltiness; notes of toffee and toasted biscuits. Because of the relative dryness of this beer, the raspberry flavor is not allowed to dominate as much as it could. The raspberry is certainly noticeable, but it is not too overwhelming. Actually after my first sip of this I was sorely disappointed the flavors just seemed to clash, and were quite jarring. It got better with subsequent sips though. The maltiness, as in the aroma, really reminds me of chocolate malt balls, definitely interesting.

Despite my first impression, I am definitely enjoying this beer. It is not cloying, like the New Glarus beers, and the raspberry notes are not overwhelming. In fact they are in a good balance with the rest of the beer. All of the flavors are concentrated and over-the-top, but none of them are out of whack with the rest of the beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
shadey (2020) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - SEP 5, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 27, 2007 Dark opaque plum color. No head. Aroma is very rich, sweet, chocolate and a little hint of alcohol. Taste is amazing. Well carbonated for so high of alcohol. Chocolate and Raspberry wonderment. So delicious. No hint of the monster 18% alcohol in the flavor. I could just sit here and sniff the stuff for hours. This bottle wasn’t NEARLY big enough. Well worth all the hype, this beer was unbelievable. Huge thanks to Pailhead for adding this to a trade at the last minute. I owe you big.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jimmack (1223) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - SEP 4, 2005
6.3oz. bottle 2004 thanks to Sully. I was really looking forward to trying this one and it did not disappoint in the least. Murky brown color with no head. Ugly looking beer, but that is my only complaint. Smells like someone spread raspberry jam onto a thick slab of dark chocolate. Heavenly! Flavor was lots of chocolate malt, raspberries and raisins. I can’t believe this beer is 18% alc/vol, you can barely notice it. Excellent!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Enniskillen (2044) - Salinas, California, USA - SEP 1, 2005
Big thanks to odeed for sharing. Aroma is chocolate, raspberries, and apricot. Body is brown with ruby edges. taste is oak, a bit of smoke, raspberries, cherries, and chocolate. mouthfeel has a nice warming sensation, and is silky.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Odeed (1798) - Bakersfield, California, USA - AUG 31, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 28, 2007 many thanks goes to styles for hooking this rare brew up.the eisbock poured a dark red with very little white head.i could smell aromas of raspberries,chocolate,earth,and a little sour finish.the flavor was what i would describe as "drinking dessert".cheesecake,raspberries,chocolate,and a tiny bit of sourness to round it off.this is simply outstanding.thanks again styles.(2004 BOTTLE OPENED ON 12-28-07)translucent brown/orange with no head.honestly atthis point it smells alot like a pinot noir wine.although the raspberries are still around in the back.smells a bit syrupy as well.the flavor is nice and complex.i taste maple syrup,raspberries,chocolate,white icing,red wine,and caramel.this has aged very well.alcohol is not detectable at all.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
irishsnake (355) - Oakland, California, USA - AUG 30, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 27, 2006 beer pours (decants) a deep brownish red, with a pretty small head that laces well. pink tints in the lightly tan head. rich sweet malty nose w/big notes of chocolate and caramel (almost butterscotch, but Not diacetyl), rounded out by some warming alcohol notes. raspberries first show up in the flavor, providing an interesting tart fruit balance to big sweet chewy malt body. also some balance provided by alcohol. raspberries start to punch their way thru the malt nose as beer warms, also releasing rather pleasant alcohol notes (not headache inducing higher alcohols.) amazing balance and drinkability for a beer of this size.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hezron (611) - Viroqua, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 29, 2005
2004 6.3ozer picked up at Wonder’s Pub in Madison. Aroma of white chocolate covered raspberries and chewy caramel. The chocolaty-caramel aroma really grows. It smells like a candy that I just can’t put my nose on. Rich mahogany-ruby color with a thin off-white head. Time to take a drink,...Oh my gosh! Wonderful chocolate and caramel explosion of sweet raspberries. The fruit blends very well into the comlex eisbock. The initial flavor is amazing and rich, but then it fades fairly quickly. The finish is abrubt, but then a lingering, sweet, warming sensation sticks around in the back of my throat. Medium body, very easy to drink for a beer this strong. Left my palate fairly clean. Overall I really enjoyed this one, perfect after dinner drink.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
csbosox (1229) - Prairie Village, Kansas, USA - AUG 28, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 22, 2007 #300. 2004. Thanks to Footbalm for this EXTRA! I have aged it as long as I can, it has been in my cellar since late May. 6.3oz bottle with a pretty wax covering. Served at 69° in my NB worthy glass. The color is deep, dark red that borders on brown. The smallish head dies away quickly. There are striations of suspended particles throughout the beer. The smell is killer, it seeks you out. I am typing and am 1.5’ from the beer and still I smell it. When I get my nose down there it is most predominantly raspberries (of course) , but there are notes of prunes, caramelized turbinado sugar, grape must, flowers?, and a smell reminiscent of cognac/brandy, not sure if it is the alcohol, if so, it is not abrasive at all. The mouthfeel is huge, almost like a syrup. The flavors are complex caramel, raspberry, strawberry, vanilla, yeast, tart citrus, the flavor is reminiscent of a raspberry liquor. Almost not too different from the spiced black raspberry liquor, Chambord, mixed with a caramelly dopplebock (might have to try that???). This would be heaven with a rich, chocolate dessert! Fruit beers are tough for me to properly evaluate, but this is just amazing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
stefanberggren (135) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 27, 2005
Wow this is something ! The aroma speaks loudly of raspberries, plum and soft wifts of alcohol. The color is deep mahogany with some glints of garnet. The first taste is not what I had anticipated, by that I mean I had thought for sure that raspberries would dominate. Not the case... I tasted chocolate, spice notes (nutmeg everso faint. Malt melanoidens.. It was actually dry in the finish. This would make a nice finish to a wonderful meal with some bread pudding ! The vintage tasted is 2005