overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 872   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.18   EST. CALORIES: 318   ABV: 10.6%
Real raspberries abound in this chocolate caramel after dinner treat. Aged for a smooth texture and drinkability. This lager beer will handle additional age very well.
Original: 10.6% ABV
2012: 15.5% ABV

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Philip (436) - Illinois, USA - AUG 14, 2005
UPDATED: AUG 11, 2006 Poured by Eric Kuhnhenn (who didnít seem too happy at the moment) at the Great Taste of the Midwest, Madison, 8/13/2005. One of the finest aromas Iíve ever had from a beer. All the goodness of scotch and raspberries envelops oneís nostrils. The nose had me excited, perhaps too much so. (I had a similar experience with the Creme Brulee Stout. Incredible nose, but not as impressive on the palate.) It reminded me of Chambord on the palate a bit, combined with more oak and butter toffee. This was good stuff, but not the #2 beer in the world. Luckily, I was able to procure two bottles to store away for a few years. I think this will improve with cellaring. ReRating after sampling from bottle. Iím upping the palate 2 points, but sticking with my overall 16/20 and 7/10 for flavor. I realized last night that Iím just not a big fan of raspberry and white chocolate, and it was the white chocolate note that bugged me last night. If youíre a fan of raspberry white chocolate cheesecake, I know of no better beer for you. ANOTHER RERATE: 2004 bottle. Aging puts on more notes of chocolate, and Iím finding Iím liking this less and less.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Dough77 (821) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - SEP 30, 2005
Thanks to Walleye for this hard to get brew. Had this brew at the end of a very small tasting with....myself. I know its kinda sad. Anyways pour was raspberry brownish with no head. Nose was huge on the berry, with some caramel and chocolate mixing in quite well. Very tasty, just a little too.... desserty rich for me. Not bad, just not exactly what I was looking for in a beer. Overall a very enjoyable experience, would love to have another bottle of this to let sit for some time..

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
5000 (6241) - Hardened Liver, Washington, USA - OCT 3, 2005
Bottle (thanks to MrFacto): Burgundy caramel in color, small pink tinted film for a head, quite viscous, cloudy in opacity, with sparce lacing.   Raspberry and marshmallow aroma, also hints of cherry and chocolate.   Similar flavor, yet it is seemingly artificial in nature.   It seems to be very much like a raspberry and cherry tootsie roll pop, tttthhhrreeeee bites and you are at the center.   ABV is very well hidden, very smooth on the tongue, goes down very easy.   Slight warming finish.   I almost wished this one to taste more alcoholic.   Its unreal how easy this one was to drink for being 18%, yet it did seem a bit artificial to me.   I personally didnít think this was top 50 material, but I did enjoy it.   Perhaps a re-rate in the future is in order.   Thanks again to Matt for providing the bottle at the tasting.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Crosling (1863) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - OCT 17, 2005
UPDATED: APR 1, 2007 Dark burgundy color with a small, light pink head, which quickly disappears. Rich caramel, toffee and chocolate aromas, with a mild hint of tobacco leaf , dough and raspberry puree. Flavor is big and bold, luscious and refined in every way. I thought the raspberry flavor was fairly tame, whereas the malt flavor was monstrous and complex, with a chocolate, cocoa and caramel flavor. Light hints of vinous fruits, mainly raspberries were present as well. A delightful beer, from the very versatile brewers at Kuhnhenn.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - JAN 8, 2006
2004: Pour is pinkish brown with an almost nonexistant head...smelled sweet and syrupy and exactly like CANDY CORN? Some chocolate as it warmed, but definately just candy corn...maybe caramel too...taste was sweet with some bittersweet cocoa...some tartness toward the fniish, but I didnít get a whole lot of raspberry...alcohol sort of came out more in the finish...very good, but overrated indeed...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
after4ever (6111) - Brier, Washington, USA - MAY 28, 2006
7-oz of the í04. Split it, courtesy of BitBucket. Raspberry patch and yeast on the nose. The berry essence comes through clean on the nose. Raspberries lead the attack, along with some prunes. As it warms, chocolate and some dark nut notes emerge. Very velvety, satisfying mouthfeel. Absolutely a dessert beer, though it is alarmingly quaffable (in my case).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Nuffield (3668) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - JUN 8, 2006
2004 bottle. Not easy getting all that wax off the top, but built some anticipation anyway. From the first phhhssst of the cap I could smell the beer. It poured out a dark brown with really quite lively carbonation (thin streams of tiny bubbles) and a surprisingly rich caramel-cream foam for its abv. The aroma is very accomplished--it has a vintage quality but not like a 1986 Lees which is just oxidized caramel. Rather, itís like caramel melting in a wood pot, with some raspberry toffee, partially dessicated oranges, vanilla, and tootsie rolls (cheap chocolate candy) thrown into the mix. The palate is rich enough, coating my lips with stickiness, but thereís a lot of carbonation, too. The flavor is fine, though I can see how it doesnít turn everyone on. I had a chocolate raspberry cake today actually (for my 35th birthday, happy birthday to me!), and that may have reached a little bit better balance of the two; the raspberries here are very subtle, amid a dense caramel-chocolate, rum-raisin (you said it Tad), and a slightly toasty toffee, like a creme brulee. Extremely drinkable, not tasting anywhere near 10.6%, though by 2/3rds through my bottle Iíve had enough for one sitting and would prefer to go on to something else, like a port perhaps. Very nice beer, though in the sweet, fruity, high alcohol category I think there are a lot of other beers and drinks (fine ports and meads) that clearly surpass this in my enjoyment category. Thanks the_lutheran for passing a bottle my way (in exchange for my being a research subject for him!)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
xproudfoot (750) - Paleolithic, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 28, 2006
Bottle 2004 special thanks to Boutip. Beautiful petit wax coated bottle - no cork - wax meant as a substitute? This bottle screams romance. Powerful aroma of raspberrie woods, summer. Chocolate caramel looks and flavor, in addition to aroma flavors. No head, appearance similar to a barleywine. Tastes a bit like a "chambord" or after dinner sweet-sour liquer, but with a good, robust maltiness supporting it. strength and flavorfulness of a barleywine. Hard to believe probably but it wouldnít be a stretch to share this bottle as a special treat, as its so flavorful that even a small glass could be savored for a bit.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Magjayran (1379) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - OCT 9, 2006
On tap at the WBF in Durham. Got my first sample while pouring for Oskar Blues and then cleverly got 3 or 4 more by waiting for the people working the Kuhnhenn table to switch out so that I could get more. Pours a reddish color with very little trace of head.Sweet raspberry aroma with a hint of chocolate and some alcohol. Upon tasting this I had to chuckle at the thought that people once believed this to be in the 18% ABV range. While I might could believe as much as 14% as alcohol flavors are definitely present, itís certainly not touching the 18% range at all. What you get is a wonderful semi-sweet raspberry truffle type liquid that had the kids raving. This is very good stuff and Iíd love to have a bottle for aging. As it is, Iím pleased that I had the chance to try this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
AllAboutStout (605) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - APR 1, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 5, 2007 Sampled thanks to BigErn. Pours a cloudy/murky brown with a maroon tint to it. Plenty of sediment floating in the beer. Smell is raspberry(of course) with some chocolate(tootsie roll) as well. Taste is pure raspberry puree with a hit of tootsie roll in the finish. Not being a big fan of tootsie rolls, I love good chocolate, but donít classify tootsie roll as such. This beer would be "all world" with either a different chocolate used or with simply no chocolate at all. The mouthfeel and beginning taste is absolutely delightful. Maybe with aging the chocolate will subside some.