La Cumbre Proprietary Pale Ale
     click to upload

RATINGS: 2   MEAN: 3.8/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.01   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 50   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
I hate the word proprietary, but sometimes things just need to be kept a secret. What can I tell you about this beer? Itís awesome! Other than that, it is a single-hop pale ale. This Pale is the first beer in this country brewed with this hop and the hop has not been branded as of yet. This is also the first beer that we know of in the US brewed with hops from the country where these hops are grown. Why such secrets? Well... distribution of this hop has yet to be nailed down and we want to give our supplier a chance to do just that. Iíll let you know more when I can. Until then, enjoy the beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
FlacoAlto (3800) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JUN 9, 2013
Topped by a thin pale head. The beer is a hazy, gold / pale amber color. The aroma smells of citrus at first, then dried hay like hop notes, and a touch of cracker like malt character that just comes through in the finish. This has an interesting toasty edge to it for some reason, and the herbal character has an edge to it that is really not onion like, closer to grass, but is something; these somehow combine to almost form a peanut like note (not really, but that is the best descriptor I can come up with.

Wow, way too cold for my druthers, but it is not icy at least. Citrus notes dominate here, but there Is also a firm bitterness and an ample enough dried straw / hay like character that lingers a bit in the finish with the bitterness. The astringency almost has a woody edge to it, but it is certainly herbal, not really spicy, quite a dried grassy note at times. The beer is fairly dry and quite light bodied and quaffable (as a Pale Ale should be); I wonder if it could almost use a touch more body and residual malt character as it might make the hop character a bit more ripe and juicy.

An interesting beer given that it is a single hop pale ale; definitely a unique hop, of a type you donít run into every day in a hop forward Pale Ale. Quite good, but better described as interesting and neat.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
smaynard6000 (624) - Apopka, Florida, USA - MAY 17, 2013
on tap at the brewery taproom. Yellow in color with a small rocky white head. Hazy and lightly cloudy. Aroma is a bit citrusy and mostly grapefruit. Medium bodied with a creamy texture and moderately bitter finish. Slightly sweet as well. Somewhat dank and tropical with some grapefruit flavor. Quite drinkable and good. I donít know what kind of mystery hop is involved with this beer but I would love to enjoy it again. Reminds me a bit of the 1/2 and Full Nelson.