overall
Brewed by De Koningshoeven (Bavaria - Netherlands)
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Berkel-Enschot, Netherlands

RATINGS: 2500   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Quadrupel is La Trappe’s heaviest ale with a stunning amber colour. Its warm and intense flavour is rich and finely balanced. Malty sweet, slightly burnt, and pleasantly bitter with a sweet aftertaste. Quadrupel continues to ferment after bottling and offers aromas of banana, almond, vanilla and others.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jvmiller (558) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - DEC 31, 2007
Yummy. Very mild, almost no head. Reddish color. Smooth mouthfeel. Sweetness is seductively easy to drink. Candy, some light spice. Alcohol is nowhere to be found. Bitterness is secondhand and mellow. Overall, an extremely pleasurable beer to drink!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jsh12bama (681) - Alabama, USA - DEC 29, 2007
Pours murky orange in the glass with thin off white head. Mild dark fruit aroma. Flavor of light sweetness, that is not overpowering. Candy, dark fruits, and spices noted. Thought this was around 7-8% not 10%, alcohol hidden. Good beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
iamandrewgill (12) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 22, 2007
We had it at a French bistro under the name Koningshoeven Quadrupel. Roasty, caramel flavor with a lighter body. The food I was eating took center stage (it was delicious) and overshadowed my experience with this beer. I’ll have to give it another try before adequately rating it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
LinusStick (3201) - Moon Twp, suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 21, 2007
A dangerously drinkable quad. Haven’t had one of these for a while. Aroma of dark fruit...plum and fig mostly. Pour was a nice murky burnt orange with a generous 3 finger tan head. Taste was great..again mostly fig and plum with a hint of malt. A little yeast character in there, but not overwhelming. The alcohol is hidden incredibly. Sometimes this style is either too alcoholic or too sweet. This balances everything perfectly.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
nightrider (754) - encinitas, California, USA - DEC 19, 2007
Poured from a 750 bottle into a goblet. Murky brown with a thin whitish head. Pleasant aroma of yeast. fig, malt and fruit. Smooth with a slight carbonated mouthfeel. Luscious flavors with good complexity and depth. Caramel malt and sugar with ever so light hops. Very good quad on this cold winter night.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
rodenbach99 (4152) - Longueuil, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 17, 2007
bouteille brune de 12.2oz. à l’ouverture le bière déborda, elle a une belle couleur cuivrée-orangé légèrement trouble, la mousse est compacte épaisse et durable, le nez est tout en épices, très invitant et piquant. la bouche est chaleureuse ronde, piquante, épicé à souhait. une grande bière.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
yespr (39923) - Copenhagen O, DENMARK - DEC 14, 2007
33 cL bottle. Pours slight hazy and deep amber with a white lacing head. Wineous and mild fruity aroma. Creamy carbonated mouthfeel. Fruity, light wineous and heavy caramel malt flavour. Medium sweet. Towards the finish a distinct wineous flavour and alcohol presence provide some warmth. Finish is a complex lingering fruitiness.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ElGaucho (2387) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - DEC 11, 2007
1 pint, 9.4 oz. bottle with cork. Sweet, Belgian candi-sugar/yeast aroma. A hint of bret in the nose? Wasn’t aware that Koningshoeven was a Dutch brewer. Huge off-white head that lasts so long that you have to wait to drink the beer. Initial mouthfeel is carbonated, sweet and strong. Alcohol is somewhat subdued by 10% ABV beer standards. Flavor is a bit one-dimensional, and the alcohol asserts itself more by mid-glass. A pretty good beer, but not one I’d go out of my way to get again. Good thing it was a gift. My lowest rated Quad (of 8).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Bobsy (194) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 8, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 8, 2008 On tap at Volo! Poured a rich amber, with a minimal white head. A lovely aroma of vanilla, bananas and honey wafted enticingly upwards. Upfront, the taste is very sweet and fruity, with the alcohol more dominant towards the end of the sip. The texture is oily and rich, but with less than average carbonation. A very decent beer, but I think I’ll stick to my supply of St Bernardus.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
weaselkenievil (1608) - Cheshire, ENGLAND - DEC 7, 2007
This is my first knowing quadrupel, and with this beer I may forget I’ve had one again. Strong but hidden well. A 3 year old bottle. Very special, this was a brother birthday beer and i can see why. Just laughing about aged beer (and whether ageing is a word or is it aging which sounds and looks stupid. I thought he’d know but birthday treat is doing it’s job) and how I could never age a beer like him. With something this nice in my house I would have to drink it. Gorgeous. And do not drink this if you operate heavy machinery, deliver babies, fly planes, deliver post, even serve kebabs. There would be onions everywhere. Cats and dogs living toegether, mass hysteria. Smells fantastic. Not educated enough to pick individual flavours but it’s very impressive. Colour is very nice, not only do I lack the vocabulary to describe it, I’m now on the way to being too drunk to have it described to me. Very very nice, not for the faint hearted. Who dares gins the SAS say, not if they drink la trappe quadrupel ha ha. My cheese sense is tingling...It’s not that a beer like this is wasted on me because I appreciate it’s perfection, I just lack the talk to make you understand. Very good, I’ve been treated tonight.