overall
Brewed by De Koningshoeven (Bavaria - Netherlands)
Style: Abbey Tripel
Berkel-Enschot, Netherlands

RATINGS: 1318   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Bottle conditioned.
La Trappe Tripel’s aroma is slightly malty and estery. This ale owes its crisp and spicy character to the use of coriander and other spices and herbs, as well as to post-fermentation in the bottle. Despite its full, rich flavour, this out-of-the-ordinary ale still has a light and dry aftertaste with a touch of bitter finesse.
Ingredients: Water; Barley malt; Hops; Yeast; Coriander. 17.5°

fraternie (819) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 30, 2001
A very good Belgian with some interesting flavor notes in the spicy malt. Amazingly smooth at the beginning, but seems to develop a little bitterness as it warms.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
trappist12 (200) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - AUG 19, 2001
A good triple. Again I repeat, age this brew. I buy the new ones and the old ones. The age does this beer well. The newer versions are not as appetizing unless they are allowed to age.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
RobertVerloop99 (130) - Utrecht, NETHERLANDS - AUG 16, 2001

Rogier (50) - NETHERLANDS - AUG 15, 2001

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
dolemike1 (1288) - Jeannette, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 11, 2001
Not that flavorful for a tripel. Spicy and fruity flavors seemed subdued. That said, its still a pretty damn good beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 14/20
Osmin99 (120) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - AUG 1, 2001

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Got Stout? (173) - Wisconsin, USA - JUL 14, 2001
Now this was interesting! The first thing that I picked up on was this strange (to me) flavor of cloves. I liked it! With this being the first tripel that I tried, I do not really know how to describe it, other than I was very taken by the complexity of this Belgian. Nice an thick, but it has a decieving taste. It changed on me so quickly! My favorite part of the beer was when it passed over my palate and I blew air out of my mouth, the entirety of my mouth was suddenly cooled by the prescence of alcohol (though the abv is not high, the beer did not mask the alcohol as well as other beers do. But that’s not bad, for me :})

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Bloemart (257) - NETHERLANDS - JUL 3, 2001

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jstu9 (402) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 27, 2001
This is a thick malty beer, with a touch of hops. It seems like a typical Belgian beer from what I can tell. I did notice the alcohol taste in the flavor which in general I don’t like but seems to work here. It is a more mild version of some Belgians I have had.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
Shadallion (534) - Sacramento, California, USA - MAY 22, 2001
The best from this ex-Trappist brewery. Rich, smooth, competely carbonationless body and decent flavor.