LaConner India Pale Ale (Bottleworks)

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 171   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Contains the actual hop buds/flowers in the bottle. Sold exclusively in Bottleworks, a specialty beer shoppe serving the Seattle area since 1999. Easily distinguised from the regular IPA by the DH written on the cap or the hop flower floating in the bottle.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
realale420 (399) - west covina, California, USA - AUG 22, 2007
Bottle thanks to kyzr poured threw a strainer a hazy yellow color with a huge foamy white head. The aroma was floral citrus hops and a small amount of caramel. Flavor had a smooth bitterness along with a nice body of caramel and citrus. The finish was slightly dry and bitter. There was some signs of age, but not much as expected.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
gimmeanIPA (1) - Stanwood, Washington, USA - AUG 7, 2007 does not count
I am so glad this brewery is 10 miles away! Beer pours a hazy yellow orange. Aroma is like pine and grapefruit. Flavor is intense like ginger but with the flavor of hops. The perfect amount of bitterness. Ends dry just the way I like it.

dryhop (3) - Miami Beach, Florida, USA - JUL 6, 2007 does not count
Bottle. It should be noted that Ithis review is from summer 2004. I drove from Seattle to La Conner to visit my girlfriends mother (AKA pick up a case of La Conner IPA from the brewery). This was a regular journey since my favorite local IPA was difficult to come by at the time. Upon reaching the brew pub I was informed by the bartender that he did not believe they had any more IPAís on hand- but heíd check with the brewer/owner. Upon returning he said all he could offer was a dry hopped version and he wasnír sure if Iíd want it. I did. As we began the trip back to Seatown I popped my first dry hopped La Conner IPA (to dismay of my girlfriend- how caould I wait, after all this WAS the purpose). I had no glass, nor did I need one. My first slug was a surprise; an incredible hop satisfation like none Iíd ever expierience- nor since. The exceptional "herb" tingle- or even burn. Never bitter but intense. The herby aroma and sensation lasted long after the first taste. AMAZING. INTENSE HOPS. Beautiful, the the bar has been set. Another slug andd I find, to my surprise, a giant hop nugget lodged in the mouth of the bottle. Now thatís dry hopping! I pull the hop out and suck on it, chew on it, envelope itís wonders. WOW! Incredible. I finish my first and have to open another,could they have mistakenly left a hop in MY bottle? Nope. This was no mistake, and boy was I grateful. Due to the bottling expese of leaving hops in, and the problems incountered with the hops floating up and tripping the sensors during bottling, this has been discontinued, or made very scarce. However, if you can ever get your handes on one- do it. Nothing matches up. The hops are an IPA seduction. This one is for real.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
shigadeyo (3059) - Harrison, Ohio, USA - APR 9, 2007
UPDATED: JUN 3, 2007 2004 Vintage

3/10/2007: LaConner Bottleworks India Pale Ale pours a hazy yellow-orange hop leaf floaties. No,k wait... Thatís an entire hop cone in there! The hops in the aroma are definitely still there in the flavor, albeit slightly diminished. Even so, the earthy and malty flavor and bitterness are still quite aggressive. This beer is medium to medium-full in body with a mild level of carbonation. Overall I am quite impressed with how well this beer has held up over the past three years or so. I really like the whole hop cone in the bottle; itís a nice touch and takes dry-hopping to the extreme. I bet this beer was awesome when it was fresh to about 1 year or so old...

12 oz bottle generously shared by ross. Thank you very much Ross for the privilege of tasting this very rare and very good beer before it all disappears forever. I really appreciate it!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
illinismitty (2270) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - MAR 22, 2007
2004 Bottle from Ross. Pours a hazy yellow orange with faint carbonation, with a hop cone floaties. For a nearly 3 year old bottle, this still has a decent aroma of sweet oranges and grapefruit. Mild carbonation in the mouth, perhaps a little flat. Aroma carries into the flavor, which has a dry orange and grapefruity hoppiness. However, the hoppiness is not sharp, and you can tell the hops have melded into the malt profile. Still enjoyable, and held up much better that I would have expected, especially for an IPA. I bet this was awesome fresh, which makes me ponder if I should rate this. But they are not making it again, and this is my beer journal, so screw it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
blankboy (6197) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 12, 2006
Bottle shared with HogTownHarry -- courtesy of ross. Pours a hazy yellow-gold with lots of hop buds, leaves and chunks and an average size lasting white head. Aroma and flavour are a big medley of fresh hops -- of course! We didnít strain it so drinking it was a bit of a challenge but that just made it more interesting, how often do you get to spit out hops buds? Medium bodied. For all the hops in this I did not find it overly hoppy at all, it was just right for this hophead, great stuff!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
HogTownHarry (6127) - Toronto (Harbourfront), Ontario, CANADA - JUN 6, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 8, 2006 Bottle (12oz). Shared with blankboy, his bottle. Tons of green pea-sized hop chunks, bubbly, hazy orange, decent white rocky head. Aroma - wow! - fresh, strong resiny/piney/citrus hops - just hops - terrific. Taste is same, some light toasty malt, incredibly bitter, I was spitting out hop shreds the whole bottle., incredibly long astringent finish, like lemon rind and pine resin. Mouthfeel - resiny, astringent, thick with hop goodness - wow, this is freakiní hoppy!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Papsoe (25083) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - MAY 28, 2006
(Bottle 35,5 cl) Pours a hazy orangey golden with - gasp! - whole hop leaves in the brew. Gigantic head, probably propelled by the added hops. Extremely citrusy - grapefruit - aroma. Medium-bodied, dry as hell completely dominated by the great aroma hops. Ends the way it started - dry as a bone. But quite lovely. 220406

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Emil (6065) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - APR 27, 2006
Bottle. Hazy yellow orange colour with a white head. Sweet malty, Grapefruits, hoppy aroma and taste. Medium body with a very dry finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
joergen (21291) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - APR 23, 2006
Bottle. Muddy golden coloured with floaties and an off wite head. Aroma of malts, caramel, pine needles and hops. Flavour of hops, grape fruits and pine needles.