LaConner India Pale Ale (Bottleworks)

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 171   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Contains the actual hop buds/flowers in the bottle. Sold exclusively in Bottleworks, a specialty beer shoppe serving the Seattle area since 1999. Easily distinguised from the regular IPA by the DH written on the cap or the hop flower floating in the bottle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
michael-pollack (4960) - King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 8, 2006
12oz. Bottle: Smells of pine and grapefruit. Very pungent, hoppy nose. No malt scent. Poured beautiful golden color. Cloudy. Totally opaque. Lots of particles and hop leaves floating throughout. Small, creamy, white, head diminished somewhat quickly. Lacing is fair, but filled with hop pieces. Flavor is of HOPS. Grass, grapefruit, pine and spice come through strongly. Very tasty. Well balanced. Heavily bitter, but not very dry. A bitter, hop-spicey finish that lasts a while. Full bodied. Strange texture because of floating hops. Overall, a very good IPA. Toward the top of my list. Thanks to glkaiser for the bottle!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
OhioDad (2493) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - DEC 17, 2005
12oz bottle via trade with hopdog - Thanks Steve! Amazing gush the second the cap was popped.. Overblew the bottle and poured all over my desk.. very cool.. pours very cloudy amber with a gigantic offwhite head. The floating hop leaves are fantastic very cool.. Aroma is almost all hops. Citrus, grapefruit mostly. I can also find a little caramel malt under it though.. Hard to notice it though with all of the leaves floating in there. Flavor is a very nice balance of smooth caramel malts and those bitter c-hops... citrus flavor wins out in the end with a nice bitter finish. Palate is amazingly smooth and very drinkable. A nice bitter finish ends each sip and keeps you coming back for more. This beer is an experience that any hophead would die for.. Any brewer that throws a hop in the bottle is o.k. by me! Great brew.. Glad I got to try it!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
SuIIy (1983) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - NOV 27, 2005
12oz bottle from atpayne. blasts out of the bottle spilling hops and white foamy suds into the sink. the body is a dirty dark yellow color with tons of bubbles ripping through this thing. hop leaves everywhere! Nose is standard hop bliss, lots of freshness and some sweet caramel ta boot. Taste is where I lose it though. Very dry, unpleasntly even. not a fan of having hops in my mouth I soon find out. Some notes of citrus fruit, a very subtle maltiness, VERY subtle though it is there. So much hops and dryness it hurts. has a very bitter finish and leaves the mouth like a desert.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
weatherboy (2) - California, USA - NOV 6, 2005 does not count
One of the most superior IIPAís I have ever tasted. Pours cloudy with a good head and nearly flawless aroma. If you are a hop-head like I am, you will love this beer. The hops are powerful, but not overwhelming. One of the best of its style. The Pacific-Northwest delievers again!! (why did I move away!?)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
fatty (363) - Perkiomenville, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 16, 2005
Hazy honey brown body with lots of floaties including lots of hop leaves, chuncks and chad. Obvious hop aroma with strong hop and sweet flavor. Carbonated, smooth and chewy (leafy) palate. Clean finish.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Sam10 (37) - Olympia, Washington, USA - OCT 9, 2005
OK this is the first IPA I ever tasted. Got to say I donít like IPAís. Taste like a flower, which is how itís supposed to taste. I did not like that at all. Smells like a flower too, pours cloudy with a nice head but not for me.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hopdog (8773) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 30, 2005
Big thanks to weeare138 for sharing this one off my want list! When opened, there was a slight gush of white head with hops pouring over the opening (I wouldnít classify it as a gusher though). Poured a medium and hazy golden color with a small sized white head. Lots of hop leaves floating (Iíve never seen anything like it). Aromas and tastes of guess what, fresh hops (flowers and grapefruit). I wouldnít call this overly hoppy - actually perfect in the aroma category. Medium bitter. Best part is picking out the hop leaves between your teeth.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
IMtheOptimator (1161) - Bethel, Connecticut, USA - SEP 3, 2005
Thanks to goldtwins for this beer.

Well, here it is... the holy grail of IPAís... at least for rarity. I thought I never would have the chance to try this, yet here I stand. Opened the bottle and suprise #1: a volcanic erupton of creamy white foam and pieces of hops flows out of the bottle, giving me barely enough time to get it in the sink (spilling a little on my cat along the way... sorry, Beukeboom). Poured into my tulip glass.... effervescent cloudy amber with a very tall white head. Beautiful, though I admit the pieces of hops somewaht detract from the overall aesthetics. Aroma is clean and piney hops, very fresh, though lacking the sticky malt backbone I enjoy in richer IPAís. Taste is very hoppy... tons of piney and grassy hop bitterness. Dry and very perfumy, almost soapy. Leaves a dry sticky bitter finish in the mouth. Has a bit of malt sweetness, but not nearly enough in my opinion to balance these hops. That, combined with the somewhat unpleasant experience of getting papery hop pieces randomly in different sips, somewhat limits the drinkability of the beer. Definitely good if youíre in the mood for liquid hops, but overall is outshined by better balanced IPAís. Iím very grateful to have had this experience.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
brentfeesh (1207) - Gadsden, Alabama, USA - AUG 17, 2005
Thanks to Beeryum for this bottle...Very interesting. No date. Iíve got to say that Iíve never seen a chunkier beer than this. TONS of hop leaves fell into my glass (ultimately a whole hop). Now that I read the commercial description Iíve got to laugh. I had no idea that this was how it was supposed to be :-) Also murky with yeast, despite a long settling period after travel. Other than that it was a nice pumpkin orange color with a minimal white head. (Iíd have rated it higher if not for the chunks). The aroma was a light mineral and refreshing water smell with light and clean citrus hops. The body was watery but in a satisfactory way and the flavor was hoppy. Light spice and pine, with light malt but very much in the background. This was a fine beer, just chunky. Strain before servingÖ.Bonus points in the overall for general drinkability and originality!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
glkaiser (1214) - Seattle, Washington, USA - AUG 12, 2005
This goes towards the top of my list for impressive, yet highly drinkable IPAís. Having just moved from the town where 3 Floyds makes there Dreadnaught Imperial IPA...I now live 3 blocks from Bottleworks(yeah, Iím lucky), which is the only place you can pick up this fantastic brew. Very cloudy amber/yellow out of the bottle. The aroma is my favorite part about this beer...a very sharp hoppy, floral and grapefruit aroma that lasts forever. An almost creamy texture with an extremely fresh hoppy taste are very enjoyable. I really enjoyed this beer...but will continue my search for the hoppiest tasting beer. This is my first of hopefully many reviews....