LaConner India Pale Ale (Bottleworks)

(RETIRED)
overall

RATINGS: 171   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Contains the actual hop buds/flowers in the bottle. Sold exclusively in Bottleworks, a specialty beer shoppe serving the Seattle area since 1999. Easily distinguised from the regular IPA by the DH written on the cap or the hop flower floating in the bottle.

BillKismet (3321) - Seattle, Washington, USA - SEP 2, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 6, 2003 This beer is sui generis in packaging and supernal in aroma and taste. Deep hazy orange in appearance with a nutmeggy esspresso head--as good a topping as I have seen. I first tried to sample this beer over a month ago. As I poured my beer into a glass--i was shocked to see Magwai/Gremlin pods floating in my beer. Upon closer inspection, I realized 'duh,' hops!! Regrettably I poured this divinely aromatic (i should have trusted my olfactory sense!) beer down the sink--i am sure there are hoppy sewer rats somewhere, as I thought that maybe there was a filtering problem and the beer was unsafe. Talking to an employee at bottleworks--I discovered I was not the only one to have this bewildering experience. It seems LaConner makes this super potent IPA especially for bottleworks--actual hops in the bottle--this is a must try!!!!!!! Gorgeous peach-amber hue--however the large amount of debris from the hops floating throughout the beer is a considerable detraction (if you filter the beer as you pour it into a glass--the ratings should go up substantially overall). The ambrosic aroma of this IPA is simply of nonesuch quality--this is truly what Heaven must smell like--garlanded with the perfume of floral hops. This beer would be a perfect 10 in taste as well--however--again, the debris is a great detracting factor if you do not personally filter the beer into a glass. The hoppiness is maturely developed and the palate sustains a consistent flavor--bitter, but not at all sour or metallic--Perfection. I will try and rerate this beer again--this time filtering it into a glass. This Laconner/Bottleworks collaboration has 5.0 potential. Re-rated--I poured the beer through a strainer--smart move! This IPA is peerless--'nuff said! Rerated again--I will finally have to give this beer a perfect score--it just blows me away every time. Peerless.

hopfiend (17) - Seattle, Washington, USA - NOV 18, 2002
This amazing blend of art and beer works wonders on the senses. I could not overstate the pleasing aroma that is accentuated by the sight of lovely, beautiful actual hops in the bottle. (You probably wonít want to eat them like I nearly did...) I was able to procure a bottle of this beer at a small bar on capitol hill, just off Denny. I donít think they carry it regularly.

cb (810) - Roeland Park, Kansas, USA - MAY 10, 2004
I have no idea how an IPA could be any better...Lush, bold, outrageous hope flavor...dare I say explosive? Like someone mashed a hopcone at its peak wiht juicy, fresh picked oranges and peak Dole pineapple. Leafy, amazing perfection. Amen.

dryhop (3) - Miami Beach, Florida, USA - JUL 6, 2007 does not count
Bottle. It should be noted that Ithis review is from summer 2004. I drove from Seattle to La Conner to visit my girlfriends mother (AKA pick up a case of La Conner IPA from the brewery). This was a regular journey since my favorite local IPA was difficult to come by at the time. Upon reaching the brew pub I was informed by the bartender that he did not believe they had any more IPAís on hand- but heíd check with the brewer/owner. Upon returning he said all he could offer was a dry hopped version and he wasnír sure if Iíd want it. I did. As we began the trip back to Seatown I popped my first dry hopped La Conner IPA (to dismay of my girlfriend- how caould I wait, after all this WAS the purpose). I had no glass, nor did I need one. My first slug was a surprise; an incredible hop satisfation like none Iíd ever expierience- nor since. The exceptional "herb" tingle- or even burn. Never bitter but intense. The herby aroma and sensation lasted long after the first taste. AMAZING. INTENSE HOPS. Beautiful, the the bar has been set. Another slug andd I find, to my surprise, a giant hop nugget lodged in the mouth of the bottle. Now thatís dry hopping! I pull the hop out and suck on it, chew on it, envelope itís wonders. WOW! Incredible. I finish my first and have to open another,could they have mistakenly left a hop in MY bottle? Nope. This was no mistake, and boy was I grateful. Due to the bottling expese of leaving hops in, and the problems incountered with the hops floating up and tripping the sensors during bottling, this has been discontinued, or made very scarce. However, if you can ever get your handes on one- do it. Nothing matches up. The hops are an IPA seduction. This one is for real.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Verne (261) - Enumclaw, Washington, USA - JUL 28, 2003
UPDATED: APR 13, 2004 Wow, I opened this beer and the aroma knocked me for a loop. If you donít top rate this aroma you ether just hate hops or will never give perfect scores. Big head slowly fading but the lacing hangs in there. Clear, orange with little hop specks. Medium bodied with a rich mouth feel. Heavy hop bitterness that is strangely balance by the rich malt flavor. Clean finish. I donít know how you could get any better than this in a IPA

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
weatherboy (2) - California, USA - NOV 6, 2005 does not count
One of the most superior IIPAís I have ever tasted. Pours cloudy with a good head and nearly flawless aroma. If you are a hop-head like I am, you will love this beer. The hops are powerful, but not overwhelming. One of the best of its style. The Pacific-Northwest delievers again!! (why did I move away!?)

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
TChrome (1415) - Bedford, Texas, USA - FEB 28, 2004
Beer pours dark golden with lots of floaties and a nice thick creamy head that is fully retained. There is nice lacing with this one. Aroma is pure hops and profoundly piney, deliciously piney, I feel like I am standing in the middle of a pine forest breathing deeply. Beer has incredible depth of flavor for an IPA. Flavor most prominent is grapefruit juice. Mouthfeel is creamy. Gotta be the best IPA on the planet. Many, many, many thanks to Andre'for this jewel.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
TheBeerGod (5184) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - MAY 15, 2004
Thanks to HeRftYDrF for this! Pours orange amber with a medium creamy head and remnants of a hop dissolved and suspended in it. Definitely different! Aroma is rich and STEEPED in hops! Piney and oily along with grapefruit. The taste is much the same - rich hops. The taste is more piney and less citrusy but not as bitter as I thought it would be. Some malt creeps through but essentially this is a hop-heads treasure. Slightly bitter on the palate along with large amounts of the dissolved hop bud. Carboanted but not overdone. Nice slightly bittersweet finish. Damn good beer! Although I could not eat the hop bud, I thoroughly enjoyed what it brought to this beer in all aspects.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
wesley (10) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAY 26, 2004
I will make the finest bottled IPA I have ever tasted my first rating. Aroma of the gods, citrus loving gods but gods none the less. The hop bitterness is dominate but far from overwhelming. The malt makes a strong contribution. This is the prefect bottled IPA. One needs to drink from a fresh caste to fined a beer as good

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ross (2075) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - JUN 12, 2004
thanks to Andre for the trade. what can you say about this beer? it is GREAT, and it deserves its spot atop all other IPAs. aroma smells of pine, grapefuit and hops. taste is bitter yet very smooth. mine had 2 buds floating in it which i ate as i drank the beer. i loved chewing this beer as much as i did drinking it. an outstanding beer, thats one of my all time favorites. thanks again andre!