overall

RATINGS: 59   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.28   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
This hoppy sweet amber was the original ale brewed at the first Lagunitas brewery in West Marin. The original, actually, was a fair example of 'Odious Ale-ism'. Sometimes it was wonderful, sometimes it took the enamel off your teeth. Well, we are better brewers now, and it has become a tasty Cal State Fair award winner!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - SEP 10, 2002
Wow! This poured a huge creamy thick tan head. I was having fun seeing how high off the glass I could pour the head. I was able to get it at least one inch from the top of the glass. I tried tasting a mouthful of the head and it was very bitter and metalic. The aroma was full of tobacco, smokiness, woody tones. The flavor delivered all that plus a nice malty sweetness. The color was a hazy dark amber (brown really). Nice beer. I wish I would have bought more than one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
HighGravity (926) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - JUN 25, 2002
Amber? I can hardly see through my pint glass. Looks like a brown ale or very light porter. On the malty side, but thats just fine with me. A good beer that is hard to pigeonhole.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - MAY 6, 2002
Rerate: Several more ambers down the road make me appreciate the balance inherent in this one. Quite good. Original: 12/28/01: Another birthday beer! Malty in the beginning, and hops up front, which to me was unusual, then a bit cloying at the end. Liked it a lot though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
jayme9874 (756) - Hamburg, New York, USA - APR 21, 2002
Beautiful amber, explosive soapy head that settled. Nose of malt and something that I only can describe as burning plastic. Thin to medium bodied, that plastic is in the taste, some decent malt and hops follow but that taste is distracting. I will have to try again one day. Thanks Prof!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Oakes (12789) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - MAR 17, 2002
Very dark amber; aroma of wood, dates, apples, tobacco; slightly creamy; fresh earthiness, hops, dates, oranges; refreshingly hoppy finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
legion242 (2270) - Richardson, Texas, USA - MAR 1, 2002
Deep garnet color; head was sorta thick with large bubbles; asparagus, cabbage and Liberty in the nose. Mild compared to the nose. Very smooth palate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
TAR (2518) - Lafayette, Colorado, USA - JAN 9, 2002
Off tan head with very good retention atop a non-filtered, hazy, deep orange color liquid. Fruity aroma (Fuggles?) along with the house character of Lags. The start if very full with carbo bursting onto the scene. Middle is malty and hoppy with some caramel followed by a clean and hard (water) aftertaste. However, I noticed a funky (plastic’) burp. Not as bad as one would think. There isn’t much variance with this style and that is why I am pleased these guys have shown this style doesn’t have to be bland. Is it just me or does this have some ’Speakeasy prohibition characteristic? Thanks Gus!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Shadallion (534) - Sacramento, California, USA - AUG 28, 2001
Deep caramel flavor with a delicious burnt accent and a nice, dry, hoppy finish. Extremely drinkable, but also quite flavorful. Outstanding.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAR 21, 2001
A decent Amber, nice malt front and a fair hop spiciness that appeals to me, another decent session beer for the soon to be hot afternoon’s.