overall

RATINGS: 1463   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 295   ABV: 9.84%
An aborted batch of their Old Gnarleywine ended up tasting nearly as good as that they were hoping for, so they bottled it. God bless capitalism. OG 1.100 IBU 51.1

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
wunderbier (1434) - Tampere, FINLAND - MAR 7, 2005
Pretty sweet aroma…brown sugar!!! Nice hops too! Thin brown-orange body. Very sweet with some great finishing hops. A little too acidic in the finish though. Medium full body, creamy texture, lively carbonation. The bottom line is: A nice sweet sipper. Thanks Scott!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Hawksfan17 (890) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 1, 2005
Smells nice and sweet, pours brown with nice head on it with red hue. Tastes sweet and is well balanced to hide the bitterness. Gets hard to drink because of the alcohol but before that is smooth.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
eve (240) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - FEB 25, 2005
Ordered this for a friend (but had to have some myself) who "doesn’t like bitter beer." This has substantial hops behind all that brown-sugar-y sweetness to keep it from being too cloying. Moist dried fruits, maple, caramel malt, I’d like it better if that tiny hint of smoke was more pronounced to balance the shugga....

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
atpayne (615) - Zionsville, Indiana, USA - FEB 24, 2005
Pours brown and settles brown with red tones beneath a nice off white head which was absent at first, but quickly grew with the active carbonation. The aroma is malty; a sweet carmel malt and some hints of nice roasted aroma. Very nice flavor from the malty base with some noticable bitterness and sweetness at the same time. There seems to be some pine/spruce hop flavor that acts as a great ballancer to all the malt, which by the way, is also a sweet carmel malt with some sugary flavors. Nice beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - FEB 24, 2005
UPDATED: APR 20, 2005 Pretty darn good. I didn’t know this was bottle conditioned. First I poured about a half bottle into my glass which was clear. When I poured the rest I saw all the sediment. To me this is a caramel style barley wine. There’s a little fig to it, but not much. It has a nice bronze color to it with a nice retaining head. Aroma has sweet malt, alcohol, and a little acidity to it. Medium body with hoppy sweet finish. Very well balanced with just a little alcohol bite at the end.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
BrockLanders (772) - Panama City, Florida, USA - FEB 21, 2005
Pours a clear copper with small beige head. Aroma is all about sweet malts, grapefruit, alcohol. Taste is medium sweet, earthy/grapefruit, some caramel, finishing with a nice grapefruit and alcohol burn. Full bodied and syrupy. The flavor is both sweet yet is more hoppy than the nose hinted. The finish is bitter sweet, hops doing their job. Yum. Thanks Cornboy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
piscator34 (1960) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - FEB 14, 2005
Deep red colour... almost brown. Strong malty aroma, with a faint hint of citrusy hops. This is one sweet beer, but not in a cloying way. Flavors of carmel malts and molasses are dominant, with just enough hop bitterness to keep things from going off the deep end. No alcohol flavors (although there was some present in the aroma as it warmed up), but I could sure feel some warming sensations in my chest as I drank it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jasonp (1555) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - FEB 12, 2005
Beautiful glowing red with a thick off-white head. A ton of hops in the nose along with some caramel, dark fruit and a tinge of alcohol. Delicious! Like the aroma, the taste has a bunch of hops with caramel and the obvious notes of brown sugar/molasses. There’s also toasty malts, plum/raisin/dark fruits, pipe tobacco and cherries. Syrupy sweet. Moderately bitter, hoppy aftertaste. Slight alcohol burn detected in the finish. Mouthfeel is velvety smooth, full and round with soft carbonation. Great head retention. This is good shit.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Saarlander (1686) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - FEB 12, 2005
I was expecting more sweetness from this beer, but was suprised how balanced it was. I wouldn’t call it too sweet at all, even for a hop head like me! Good head, that lasted, good flavor, dark red color. I enjoyed this brew!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
joshpiledean (315) - Seattle, Washington, USA - FEB 11, 2005
Tap, O’Brien’s, San Diego. Reddish pour, smallish head. Hoppy and sweet nose. I was talking to my friend the whole time I drank this...so I don’t remember a lot except that I was really digging on the sweet brown sugary tones with the great hops taking up the background. I wanted to drink another one of these, but, alas, we had to leave, thanks to his girlfriend. Rats.