overall

RATINGS: 1467   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 295   ABV: 9.84%
An aborted batch of their Old Gnarleywine ended up tasting nearly as good as that they were hoping for, so they bottled it. God bless capitalism. OG 1.100 IBU 51.1

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
piscator34 (1980) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - FEB 14, 2005
Deep red colour... almost brown. Strong malty aroma, with a faint hint of citrusy hops. This is one sweet beer, but not in a cloying way. Flavors of carmel malts and molasses are dominant, with just enough hop bitterness to keep things from going off the deep end. No alcohol flavors (although there was some present in the aroma as it warmed up), but I could sure feel some warming sensations in my chest as I drank it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jasonp (1555) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - FEB 12, 2005
Beautiful glowing red with a thick off-white head. A ton of hops in the nose along with some caramel, dark fruit and a tinge of alcohol. Delicious! Like the aroma, the taste has a bunch of hops with caramel and the obvious notes of brown sugar/molasses. There’s also toasty malts, plum/raisin/dark fruits, pipe tobacco and cherries. Syrupy sweet. Moderately bitter, hoppy aftertaste. Slight alcohol burn detected in the finish. Mouthfeel is velvety smooth, full and round with soft carbonation. Great head retention. This is good shit.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Saarlander (1686) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - FEB 12, 2005
I was expecting more sweetness from this beer, but was suprised how balanced it was. I wouldn’t call it too sweet at all, even for a hop head like me! Good head, that lasted, good flavor, dark red color. I enjoyed this brew!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
joshpiledean (315) - Seattle, Washington, USA - FEB 11, 2005
Tap, O’Brien’s, San Diego. Reddish pour, smallish head. Hoppy and sweet nose. I was talking to my friend the whole time I drank this...so I don’t remember a lot except that I was really digging on the sweet brown sugary tones with the great hops taking up the background. I wanted to drink another one of these, but, alas, we had to leave, thanks to his girlfriend. Rats.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
ericnixon (740) - Portland, Oregon, USA - FEB 7, 2005
A little over a year ago I visited Lagunitas Brewery when I was visiting friends in California and was sad because I knew I couldn’t get their beer in New England. Boy, was I surprised when I stopped at Spirit Haus in Amherst, MA and saw a bunch of Lagunitas’ beers. Ok, ’nuff talking. Cool label with a happy-go-lucky puppy on it. The beer is a beautiful coppery amber color with almost no head after a couple of minutes. Brown sugar-y aroma (duh). Great, well-balanced, mouthfeel that’s very flavorful and also refreshing at the same time. Kind of thick and sweet. One wicked awesome beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
notalush (4962) - Denver, Colorado, USA - FEB 6, 2005
Musty, tart aroma with notes of strawberry and grapes - pretty lisht for the style, with mild berry flavors dominating, a lot of hops and herbal qualities - seems like it doesn’t know whether it wants to be a barleywine or an IIPA - sometimes that works, but in this case it does not.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
JahNoth (1039) - Rochester, New York, USA - FEB 5, 2005
Good god, this is impressive! Some sweetness on the nose. Very nice head with tiny bubbles like a pancake that needs to be flipped. Beautiful chestnut in color. Flavor is incredible very hoppy with brown sugar to boot. Thick mouthfeel and delicious. Now THIS is a beer! Thanks to the Derek (The Fat Man) for the sample.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
hayduke (3423) - Eureka, California, USA - FEB 4, 2005
UPDATED: MAY 16, 2007 22 oz bottle. Copper orange with a big tan head. Good lacing. Lots of flavors. Somewhat sweet. Slick mouthfeel and oily on the back of the tongue. It goes down like cough syrup. Nice hoppy finish. Yum.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - JAN 30, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 2, 2005 XBF05: Clear orange with a small white head, sweet sugary aroma, sticky mouthfeel, super sweet, with a long sweet ending. If you like really sweet beers, you should try this.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TipsyMcStager (1139) - Calgary, Alberta, CANADA - JAN 29, 2005
Aroma is hoppy, piney, molasses in there, also some astringence. Pours a beautiful red-copper with thick tan head. More bitter than I expected and strong alcohol finish. A little sweet for my taste. It would be hard to drink more than a couple of these in a row. Packs quite a wallop.