overall

RATINGS: 2132   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.95   IBU: 102   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
For those mornings when you have to cut right to the chase, this is the one. Sure to blast through just about anything still lingering from the night before, this mouthful of Hops and huge rich Malt has a gaurantee built right into the name!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
GJF (1365) - Mount Vernon, Iowa, USA - APR 22, 2008
UPDATED: DEC 22, 2009 A re-rating here. Not sure about my earlier comments on this. Subtle farmhouse notes? This is a hop powerhouse. A classic double IPA. Earlier: This is nice, but I’m not sure I’d go with the Double IPA label on it. Has softer, more farmhouse notes to it to me. Plenty of piney, grassy hops to it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BlackForestCO (978) - Aurora, Colorado, USA - APR 15, 2008
On tap. Poured a slightly hazy amber-orange color with a moderate off-white head. Aroma of piney, resiny hops with some nice citrus. Nice mixture of light caramel malt with strong citrus hops and undertones of pine and resin. Moderately sweet, but nice bitter finish to balance everything out. This is a nice IIPA, I wish we could get the bottles here.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
BeerandBlues2 (10774) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 15, 2008
Draught at 6th Boulder Strong Ale Festival. Pours clear orange with a small, fizzy, white head, diminishing with fair lacing. Aroma is heavy malt (grain, hay, straw, meal), heavy hops (flowers, grass, resin), average yeast (sweat, earth) with notes of apple and pear. Medium bodied, creamy texture, average carbonation, and a bitter finish. Long duration, light sweetness, moderate acidity and bitterness.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Immy (1955) - Virginia Beach, USA - APR 5, 2008
On tap at Marker 20. Lightly hazed amber with a white head. WOW, what a nose... massive perfumey floral hop and citrus, cookielike maltiness. Flavor is more hop goodness, peachy and orangey, floral perfume and sweet sugar cookie. A hop bomb of the highest order that, despite the massive bitterness, is well integrated and deep. Excellent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Pastor (799) - Skowhegan, Maine, USA - APR 4, 2008
Thanks to flexabull for the great extra Bottle poured into my pint glass produced a good two fingers worth of head that lasts on top of a golden hued body. Aromas of floral citrus hops and a light malt presence in the nose as well The initial flavor is hops but it is balanced enough with the malts to keep it from being to bitter some nice citrus flavors as well (pineapple, grapefruit) Good mouthfeel nice and light with enough carbonation to make it crisp as well Very drinkable brew a great Imp. IPA would seek out again if I could get it. I’m going to go enjoy the rest now

IPAGargoyleGuy (140) - Troy, NY, New York, USA - APR 3, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 15, 2009 On draft at The Ruck in Troy, NY...possibly the best beer they have had there. very fresh tasting IPA, I didn’t know it was a double until I looked it up. Not extreme in any direction, tasty.

Cobra (1100) - - APR 2, 2008
22 oz. brown bomber bottle. No freshness date seen. Poured out a deep orange color, with a foamy white head. Aromas are strictly "C" hops. Some malts, caramel also present. Flavors are hops up front, strong malt backbone brings up the rear. Medium mouthfeel, decent body. Well balanced, which was both surprising and refreshing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
grant (842) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - MAR 25, 2008
Typical dark yellow of a big IPA; nice, long-lasting frothy head. Big hops aroma of course. This is lemony and peachy, a bit more towards the "lighter" spectrum of hop aromas than the musky piney and grapefruity things I crave. Acidic, corrosively hoppy flavor, initially a bit more raw and abrasive than I care for, but then becoming a bit more piney and orangey like I like. Finishes relatively juicy and actually quite thick. Bitterness is not overwhelming to me. Nicely crafted.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
ChazMania (659) - Oceanside, California, USA - MAR 24, 2008
UPDATED: OCT 7, 2010 On tap at Toronado in San Fran. I had this in a bottle some time ago but did not rate it. So this is for that tap: Big aroma very much the cool hop bomb of a beer. This was more bitter than the Pliny the Elder I had right before this. There is so much hop and punch that I could nearly taste cannabis. I need to find this again down here in So Cal. 6/02/09: Updated from 4 to 4.6. Incredible beer. Best beer for the money I can find. 10/07/10: Orig a 4, then 4.6, now I want to lower it again. Maybe this is unfair and this bottle is old or something. However when I’m shopping, I often look to see how (or if) i’ve rated something. I now have to put this back down to a 3.9. I have had a lot of IPA and DIPA in the last 2 years so my palate is growing. This bottle tastes really skunky, in a not-good bad weed kinda way.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
vyvvy (4661) - Florissant, Missouri, USA - MAR 21, 2008
On tap at The Rotten Apple in Grafton, IL. Pours golden copper with a light whitish head. The aroma is very hoppy with pine, tropical fruits and pineapple along with some light caramel malt highlights. Medium / full body with semi-soft carbonation. The flavor begins with lots of tropical hops, some pine and soapiness. The finish is very tropical with some funkiness and a bit of soapiness. A very well crafted beer.