overall

AKA Holiday Leftover Ale
AKA Brown Sugar Substitute

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
mikeq215 (69) - Wayne, New Jersey, USA - JAN 29, 2014
Pours a golden color with small white head that goes quickly. Aroma is very fruity, lots of orange and citrus. Taste is also very fruity, with some bitterness to finish it off. ABV is barely noticeable. Overall a very smooth, easy drinking beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Squizzle (172) - Idaho, USA - JAN 29, 2014
This beer is awesome! I literally wait for it to come out every year. So tasty, best Lagunitas out there. Also, the person from the brewery wrote a hilarious description of this beer so freekin cheers! Eliana says its the best beer she’s ever smelled. F-yeah!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
CJ_Pain (192) - Georgia, USA - JAN 29, 2014
American strong ale? IIPA? Whatever the style is it is very damn good! Aroma hits strong and amazing smells like wriggles juicy fruit. Very interesting. Alcohol is very well hidden and sneaks up on you. Amazing beer. Never even heard of this one and ironically was searching for another 6’er of brown shugga as I was gonna attempt to age a few bottles. Glad I discovered this. Great brew!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
keanex (1629) - Atco, New Jersey, USA - JAN 28, 2014
Bottled December 16, 2014.
Appearance: The body is crystal clear, showing off lazy and wide spread carbonation bubbles in the golden to light amber hued body. The head is short and soft looking, forming a dense white head.
Aroma: The aroma is heavy on citrus, lots of orange and apricot along with a hint of pineapple. The aroma isn’t overly strong, but it’s not shy either.
Taste: This is a very nice flavorful and enjoyable IPA. Lots of citrus, like the aroma, with a lingering pineapple. The malt base is firm providing a mild sweetness to balance the beer out. The finish has a strong bitterness that almost comes off as astringent, grapefruit like.
Palate: Full-bodied and moderately carbonated.
Overall: This is a very enjoyable IPA, it reminds me a lot of Victory’s Hop Ranch actually. This is a bit of a better value though and perhaps a bit better balanced. This is a must try for every hop head!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Leo283 (3) - Kansas, USA - JAN 28, 2014 does not count
Great fruity citrus aroma as soon as opening the bottle. Color is orange gold with a nice off white head, disappearing quickly but with lots of nice lacing. Taste is floral, citrus, hoppy bitter, with some sweetness. Excellent iipa!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jasond612 (281) - Phila, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 27, 2014
1/24/14 6 pack ($12.99) bought at CBO. GREAT GREAT BEER!!! Easily one of my top 3 IIPA. Pours an orange-gold with an inch of foam, lacing throughout drinking it. The nose oozes tropical fruit. Dan asked of I out juice in the bottle I gave him. The taste had plenty of tropical fruit and just a hint of pine. GREAT GREAT BEER!!!! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
EcnarM (112) - Shawnee, Kansas, USA - JAN 26, 2014
Just a great experience throughout. Best part is the aroma that comes at the start. Classic smell. It finishes smooth and easy. A refreshing ale. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
HIGHB4LL (823) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JAN 26, 2014
12 oz. bottle. Appearance: finger of white head that diminishes quickly, small white film lasts, golden orange yellow color, clear, beautiful. Aroma: resin, floral, citrus, more citrus, bread, hay, nuts. Palate: light body, sticky texture, average-soft carbonation, bitter and lasting finish. Taste: light sweetness as it hits your tongue, then waves of bitterness wash over you. Overall, wonderful wonderful beer. Very hoppy, but in control and well balanced.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
migwell (92) - Northampton, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 26, 2014
I don’t think this is what the Lagunitas marketing ’experts’ had in mind, but I have looked at this brew in various coolers for several years, and getting past the ’Lagunitas Sucks’ label, I was still deterred by the ’Brown Sugar Substitute’. I don’t generally like my beer brown or sugary. Well, my mistake for not trying it sooner. What a remarkable brew, and still in the Lagunitas style of full bodied and flavorful ales. Mentioned before that my sense of smell is not the greatest, but opening a bottle of this, I was knocked over by the fruity aroma... like a glass of fruit punch! Naturally enough, this carries over into the flavor which is nicely balanced and covers the high ABV kick. Damn great brew!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mverity (294) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JAN 26, 2014
Bottle into a large snifter. Pours a perfect pale gold. Healthy amount of just off-white head that held pretty well, and faded into a medium-thin collar and a thin head that held until the glass emptied. Lacing is spotty, but pretty good. Aroma is a really interesting dance between pine and citrus hops with a nice supporting cast of a medium malt base. Though, the more I sniff, the more I pick up on the citrus over the pine. Taste is surprisingly malt centered. I get some tropical hops character in the front, that moves into more of the grapefruit, then some pine, then back to citrus; all being held up by this really great malt sweetness. Carbonation is a bit high for an IPA, but I’m kinda digging that. Body is medium to full.