overall

AKA Holiday Leftover Ale
AKA Brown Sugar Substitute

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jasond612 (281) - Phila, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 27, 2014
1/24/14 6 pack ($12.99) bought at CBO. GREAT GREAT BEER!!! Easily one of my top 3 IIPA. Pours an orange-gold with an inch of foam, lacing throughout drinking it. The nose oozes tropical fruit. Dan asked of I out juice in the bottle I gave him. The taste had plenty of tropical fruit and just a hint of pine. GREAT GREAT BEER!!!! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
EcnarM (112) - Shawnee, Kansas, USA - JAN 26, 2014
Just a great experience throughout. Best part is the aroma that comes at the start. Classic smell. It finishes smooth and easy. A refreshing ale. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
HIGHB4LL (835) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JAN 26, 2014
12 oz. bottle. Appearance: finger of white head that diminishes quickly, small white film lasts, golden orange yellow color, clear, beautiful. Aroma: resin, floral, citrus, more citrus, bread, hay, nuts. Palate: light body, sticky texture, average-soft carbonation, bitter and lasting finish. Taste: light sweetness as it hits your tongue, then waves of bitterness wash over you. Overall, wonderful wonderful beer. Very hoppy, but in control and well balanced.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
migwell (101) - Northampton, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 26, 2014
I don’t think this is what the Lagunitas marketing ’experts’ had in mind, but I have looked at this brew in various coolers for several years, and getting past the ’Lagunitas Sucks’ label, I was still deterred by the ’Brown Sugar Substitute’. I don’t generally like my beer brown or sugary. Well, my mistake for not trying it sooner. What a remarkable brew, and still in the Lagunitas style of full bodied and flavorful ales. Mentioned before that my sense of smell is not the greatest, but opening a bottle of this, I was knocked over by the fruity aroma... like a glass of fruit punch! Naturally enough, this carries over into the flavor which is nicely balanced and covers the high ABV kick. Damn great brew!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mverity (294) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JAN 26, 2014
Bottle into a large snifter. Pours a perfect pale gold. Healthy amount of just off-white head that held pretty well, and faded into a medium-thin collar and a thin head that held until the glass emptied. Lacing is spotty, but pretty good. Aroma is a really interesting dance between pine and citrus hops with a nice supporting cast of a medium malt base. Though, the more I sniff, the more I pick up on the citrus over the pine. Taste is surprisingly malt centered. I get some tropical hops character in the front, that moves into more of the grapefruit, then some pine, then back to citrus; all being held up by this really great malt sweetness. Carbonation is a bit high for an IPA, but I’m kinda digging that. Body is medium to full.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Brewlizard (8) - Dunwoody, Georgia, USA - JAN 26, 2014 does not count
Whoa this one a quaffer, could not drink slowly....on draft...head was sticky beautiful ...color near perfect golden with slight orange.... Bready,,little yeast, fresh hops on front but NOT bitter.....hides strength well although very slight alchohol sweet......wolfed down 3 pints, delicious , I hope the bottle version is close to this......

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jdb288 (584) - Robbinsville, New Jersey, USA - JAN 25, 2014
Fresh bottle. Reddish gold pour with white head. Aroma is big citrus. Taste is exquisite - nice citrus with resin, pine of the hops and well balanced malt. Such a great balance here. This one is juicy and the light, semi-sweet finish lingers on the tongue. Refreshing and great.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
mrjaxson (348) - .08 Junction, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 25, 2014
As versatile as a beer can be. Pours to a huge head with graceful lacing. The gloriously hoppy aroma, mixing a pine forest and a citrus grove, does NOT lead to a tongue-curling bitterness. Instead you have that cereal combo platter creating the liquid version of MultiGrain Cheerios, nice and full bodied, with the bitterness just dancing around the edges. Long, long finish that eventually is dry but has gently rolling waves of sweetness and bitterness along the way.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
commonshawn (633) - Minnesota, USA - JAN 25, 2014
Tap. Pint glass. Light gold with big frothy white head. Hoppy resin aroma. A bit of grapefruit taste, then oily and resin. Crisp with long lasting dry finish. Very lagunitas and very good. Does not suck.

Maddog (445) - Kettering, Ohio, USA - JAN 25, 2014
Damn, this beer kicks arse! The pour is a golden yellow with a big frothy head with aromas of floral, fruity hops. This beer is sticky, resinous and seriously hopped with citrus and floral flavors backed with a malty, sweet body. Very fresh and very good!