overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 1206   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.93   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 63   EST. CALORIES: 235   ABV: 7.85%
AKA Holiday Ale
AKA Holiday Leftover Ale
AKA Brown Sugar Substitute

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ChazMania (653) - Pasadena, California, USA - DEC 23, 2011
KILLER BEER! Huge floral aroma- perfectly clear dark yellow to mild orange color, so inviting. Taste is like a huge fresh hopped IPA, I’m not sure why this isn’t classified as a double/imperial IPA. I really like Hop Stoopid and this is just better all around. Huge flavors of pear and orange; great malt profile that provides a full body beer. This stuff is awesome!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
dbarnold (1126) - Bethesda, Maryland, USA - DEC 22, 2011
Beer is damn good. I’ve never had brown shugga, so I don’t know what I’m missing, but I hope they make this one again. It’s a great IPA, really, with an awesome hop aroma and clean, bitter palate. Very refreshing. What makes it unique is the compelxity of the malt...cereal as they call it. Doesn’t look like much but has a grea flavor and awesome west coast hops.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
pintbypint (2610) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - DEC 22, 2011
12oz brown bottle. Pours out a fairly clear golden with a full white head. Spotty lace. Nose is piney, big citrus, sweet tropical fruits. Taste has up front hops - pine, citrus peels, also has a decent malt character, a bit of bread/grain, some chewiness. Ends bitter. Long and strong hoppy aftertaste with some pine, grapefruit and orange peel in the throat. Medium bodied with average carbonation. Very drinkable, approaching chuggable, no signs of alcohol, overall a nice hoppy strong ale that has nothing to do with the holidays, but everything to do with being tasty. Lagunitas needs to keep this around.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
theisti (3243) - Leawood, Kansas, USA - DEC 22, 2011
12 oz bottle purchased at Royal in Kansas City, Missouri. The pour is a mostly clear golden yellow with a 1/2 inch white head. The head falls with decent lacing. The aroma is dank resinous hops, lightly bitter and a bit catty. As it warms, some sweet mango fruit comes out as well. Fresh nose. The taste is the resin bitter hops up front, along with cereal grain and Rye. A bit of the mango sweetness pops out late in the taste. The palate is medium bodied, resinous dry and bitter in the finish. Nice one, reminded me of Double Jack.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
pepsican (1447) - @ $13.99, Iowa, USA - DEC 22, 2011
Thanks to Cletus for the hook up. Near orange pour with a small white head, very clear. Fruit forward hop aroma with a nice malt background showing up. You know, this isn’t quite the tropical fruit hop bomb I’ve been loving lately, but it still has a bunch of great citrus going on as well as a almost appley fruit zest going on. I guess that’s not quite it, because I usually hate the dreaded green apple, but this is more of a sweet red. Certainly interesting. This beer had a ton of hop character yet the bitterness is nearly non existent. Yeah yeah, another crappy review I shouldn’t write, but this deserved a score.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Westmeister (1764) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - DEC 22, 2011
Draft. Pours a clear yellow orange with white head and nice lacing. Smell slaps you up side the head. Huge grapefruity citrus, resin and pine all packed in. Taste is not quite a powerful and in your face, but really nice. Really quite oily, almost like hop oil. More grapefruit and resin and so easily drinkable and fresh feeling. This certainly is one of those rare over 4 IPAs for me. Just nasty good.

portableparty (1912) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - DEC 21, 2011
Bottle pours a clear bright amber with a nice soapy off white head that fades to a spotty film and shows minimal lacing. Aroma is awesome grapefruit and pine very resinous with a subtle caramel sweetness. Taste is just like above, but more of the caramel malt shows with a faint warming alcohol in the finish. Palate is sticky and full with a bitter chalky dry finish. This is a really nice brew, I hope this lingers around for a little bit cause I want to stock up on this stuff

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
TheEpeeist (3364) - Media, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 21, 2011
12 oz bottle. Crystal clear brass with a bumpy white head. Nose is pine, polecat and grass with a hint of brown sugar. Creamy body with hop juice and a numbing buzz. Damn, this is some tasty stuff, must say i’m surprised. Taste is tangerine, mandarins, citrus pith and pine. Lingering caramel and grains, spicy rye; dry and sticky.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
RyanK (204) - Rhode Island, USA - DEC 21, 2011
Pours a nice clear amber with a medium sized frothy head that dissipates after a minute and a half. Smells strongly of pine hops and citrus, particularly grapefruit and pineapple. Ale is 7.85%abv and well hid by a nice mixture of light hops and heavy malt. Beer taste mostly as it smells with malt has some caramel, I’m not tasting brown sugar if I’m supposed to. Finishes bitter, not try. Nice, well balanced, complex, all around ale.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
kidmartinek (3674) - austin, Texas, USA - DEC 21, 2011
Smells delicious. Better than poontang. Woody flowers in a cask. Come on flow wit me. This one is light golden but resinous in color. Use your imagination. If I may bastardize the words of my bartendress, "It tastes like every other Lagunitas beer ever made!" Either way I love it. And I pray, not hope, that you flowerhounds at Lagunitas fuck up more often.