overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 1223   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.93   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 63   EST. CALORIES: 235   ABV: 7.85%
AKA Holiday Ale
AKA Holiday Leftover Ale
AKA Brown Sugar Substitute

tmongoose (1327) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - DEC 20, 2011
12oz pours golden yellow color with a quickly disappearing white head. the aroma is of citrusy/resiny hops and the fruit...yep i said fruit, mango’s jumped out of the glass at me. the first taste was like an incredible experience. the flavor of the citrusy hops climbs all over your tongue and then slowly disappears into this fruity concoction of mangos, possibly peach or some other fleshy type fruit. there is no bitterness in the hops this beer just seems to slide down nicely and it very good. personally i am glad they messed up this year and made this beer. thanks guys.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
CanIHave4Beers (3321) - Pouring Bus, Iowa, USA - DEC 20, 2011
Ask and ye shall receive I suppose. Just yesterday I was ruing not being able to try this.... I show up to my homebrew club’s Christmas party last night and lo’ and behold there were multiple bottles of this that had been brought.... Awesome.

Pours a perfectly clear golden color with a medium head that leaves some lacing on the glass.

The aroma is dank and just purely hoppy, herbal, citrusy, hoppy, hoppy, and hoppy. The beer is endlessly pungent and just a pleasure to stick your nose in front of, it is anything but complex but it doesn’t need to be complex it smells great doing exactly what it does.

The flavor follows the "simply hoppy" theme. Some resiny notes work well alongside the citrus and melon character of the beer & the beer displays that wonderful tongue wrenching bitterness without a note of astringency that is as much a physical sensation as it is a flavor. The beer is largely dry but gives a perception of sweetness from all the fruit forward hops.

Welp, at least I got to try it. How is this listed as an "American Strong Ale" when it is one of the clearest examples of a west Coast India Pale Ale I’ve tried in ages? Poppycock!

Smurf2055 (1399) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 20, 2011
There’s no way this isn’t an ipa. Crazy citrus, powerful bitter taste, great beer to have on tap at Uber. It’s honestly a little bit weaker version of Pliny the Elder. Super balanced, great beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
EvilHomer (1) - Alabama, USA - DEC 19, 2011 does not count
Well for me this was just below Pliny the Elder that I got the chance to guzzle on tap in Estes Park. Didn’t suck that they had Russian River Barrel-Aged Sours way below retail. ... Anyways. This was Mind-Blowingly good and nearly faultless. Huge apricot, mango, coconut, pinesol, lemongrass, basil and lemon oil. It’s just a ridiculous beer out of the blue. Made me open a Rate Beer account.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Lagunitasfan (1313) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 19, 2011
UPDATED: JAN 14, 2012 12 oz bottle. I was sad to have missed this on tap, but I’ll keep a lookout since I’ve been a (relatively) good boy this year. I was shocked by the light orange, almost pink-tinted pour. I was still lightly under the impression this was going to somehow be a Christmas ale, of the traditional sort. Nose is typical Lagunitas hoppy goodness, with a bit of the typical Lagunitas farmhouse funkiness. The taste has the first burst of hoppiness, but a bunch of livliness and high fruit behind. Bit of Hop Stoopid, bit more of Sumpin Sumpin, and a hint of the "wild". I like it a bunch. The more I drink it, the more I like it. It’s very similar to what Iremember the first batches of Hop Stoopid being.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
SDalkoholic (2156) - Linda Vista, California, USA - DEC 19, 2011
Bottle from BevMo: For the aroma, a danky scent of hops, citrus, pine and perhaps a whiff of medical kush. The liquid is magnificently crystal clear while a thick fluffy pillow of head puffs up instantly and then retreats slowly. The flavor comes across as semi sweet while also being bitter with a thick taste of sticky green hops that are just oozing oils and suggest flavors of pine and citrus fruit juice. Too bad Brown shugga wasn’t being produced this year cuz I always like to drink a bottle around Christmas time, but at least Lagunitas made a new recipe in its place to hold us over.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
DocLock (7912) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 19, 2011
Draft at Capone’s. Poured dark straw with off-white head that retained well. Nose was huge grapefruity hops, with notes of black pepper and tangerine. Tasted hoppy, complex, with the hops bursting off the tongue. This one was a hop lover’s wet dream.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
kassner (1354) - Wexford, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 19, 2011
On tap at fat Heads in Pittsburgh. Not huge in hops but really fresh and complex. Like a really hopped pilsner. golden look, very slightly cloudy with not much head

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
milewide (1535) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - DEC 19, 2011
Pine aroma and taste were outstanding! Solid body and creamy head. Great brew that should be year around!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
jredmond (5451) - Manhattan, New York, USA - DEC 19, 2011
Backlog. Might has well start updating these while I’m sober for the next 3 months. Had this a little while back with Pat. Bottle pours slightly hazy yellow golden body with nice white head. Aroma is full of fresh fruit - pineapple, mango, citrus, and a little apricot, great citrus hops and pine notes as well. Mouthfeel is slightly dry, but very refreshing with notes of pine and citrus hops, citrus fruits, pineapple and grapefruit. One of the best Lagunitas.