overall

AKA Holiday Leftover Ale
AKA Brown Sugar Substitute

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
cfrancis (2671) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 15, 2012
Thanks to Matt for this. Pours a bright golden with a thin white top and great lacing. Aroma is big grapefruit hops and light malt. Taste is well balanced with a strong grapefruit hop bitterness. I love the stereotypical Lagunitas hop presence.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
1FastSTi (3343) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 15, 2012
Tap. This beer was excellent! Pours to a glowing golden body. A sweet looking starched white head sits atop with some beautiful lacing. Vibrant body. The aroma is pineapples and some sweet candi sugar. Mild grass. The flavor is sweet pineapple and mango with candi sugar and papaya. The palate is sweet but balanced. A nice sugary texture.

DuffMan (7622) - the land of bitumen, beef & beer, Alberta, CANADA - JAN 14, 2012
Bottle. Aroma is big and hoppy, lots of grapefruit rind, perfumey pine. Aromatic hop-driven palate, really nice and fresh, heaps of citrus, some pine resin, crisp and bitter. I’m torn-- I love the Brown Shugga, but now I love this too...son-of-a...!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Gregis (1281) - Shawnee, Kansas, USA - JAN 14, 2012
Bottle. Pours a clear gold with a fluffy white head that slowly drops leaving sticky lace upon the glass. The nose is an enticing blend of big grapefruit and softer piny hop notes over a sweet pale malt. Medium-bodied and soft with a big tongue-squeezing bitterness at the finish. Like the nose, the flavor is a big hit of grapefruit hops over pale malt with a lingering slightly resinous finish. This is some tasty stuff. I hope they screw up their brewing schedule again next year.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
sherm1016 (1234) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 14, 2012
12oz bottle from Discount Liquor Milwaukee, Leftovers packaging. Pours a crystal clear, bright yellow color with a white head and some lacing. Aroma is hoppy, citrus, grapefruit. Citra hops. A little heavy on the palate with average carbonation. Flavor is sweet, malty, the mixture of grains comes through, nice Citra hop taste, with a nice, clean, bitter hop finish. Very tasty.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
sneagrams3 (2337) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JAN 14, 2012
Tasted 1/14/12. 12oz bottle. Pours filtered with a lively golden hue. Tight bubbled white head. Aromas of candied grapefruit hops and other assorted citrus fruit. Full bodied and definitely hop dominant. Nicely sweet and fruity. Good complexity of palate with the sweet, tart and bitter being the most noticeable. Grassy and grapefruity hop flavors with notes of oranges and tangerines. The malt bill is seemingly complex but still overshadowed by the hops. The alcohol is well blended and adds to the overall aesthetic of the brew. Quite nice for a one off.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
rob6239 (671) - Ontario, CANADA - JAN 14, 2012
From growler. Pours light gold with little head and slightly resinous. Strong beautiful hop aroma. Slight bitterness at the end

cbkschubert (2900) - BFE, Arizona, USA - JAN 13, 2012
12 oz. bottle from Plaza Liquors - Pours a clear golden color with a one finger thick off white head. Light lacing. Aroma is floral and pine hops. Flavor is also floral and pine hops with some malt sweetness in the background. Finish is somewhat bitter. Medium body. A good beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
killjoy966 (677) - Washington, USA - JAN 13, 2012
Pint @ Chuck’s. This is just meh. Smells a little bit like weed. A lot of hops and bitterness up front, but then all those malts start to muddle things. Tastes viscous and slightly like a communion wafer. I’m a lot of people are going to love this beer but it kind of bores me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheCorkStops (53) - Connecticut, USA - JAN 13, 2012
Despite the interesting name, and the even more interesting story behind the name, I’ve heard some very nice things about this limited offering and I’m curious to try it. The Lagunitas Sucks Holiday Ale is classified as an American Imperial IPA according to beerAdvocate, which isn’t typically my style. But, I’ll give any beer a try at least once. The Lagunitas Sucks pours out a brilliant golden amber color, with plenty of off-white foam on top. As the head retreats it leaves behind quite a bit of sticky lacing, generally an indication I’m getting myself into something a little too hoppy for my tastes. The nose reveals plenty of hops, but more reserved than just the typical grapefruit variety. There’s also an interesting layer of citrus hops aromas, as well as some subtle floral hops. The aromas keep me guessing as well, something else in there is hard for me to put my finger on. I’m thinking its a some sort of bready or yeastiness, but I can’t say for sure. The flavors are, in no uncertain terms, incredible. The flavors follow the aromas nicely: lots of complexity in the hops, with something unique that I cannot nail down. There’s a decent amount of hop-bitterness, but it’s much softer than expected. The alcohol is fairly obvious for being only about 8% abv. There’s a nice little bit of malts in the background, but the hops still take charge and lead the way. Of the dozen or so winter releases I’ve had this year, so far the Lagunitas Sucks is my favorite.