overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 1358   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 63   EST. CALORIES: 235   ABV: 7.85%
AKA Holiday Ale
AKA Holiday Leftover Ale
AKA Brown Sugar Substitute

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
MattH (659) - California, USA - DEC 20, 2011
Bottle. Light orange pour with one inch head that quickly recedes. Aroma of pineapple really jumps out at you. Aroma also includes pine, sweet red grapefruit, and sugar. Taste is brown sugary sweet with a little hop bite. I can see why this is classified as an American Strong Ale, as the taste really is not that hoppy. This was really good. I want more.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
italianjohn (2435) - Penndel, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 20, 2011
UPDATED: FEB 9, 2014 Clear golden/copper pour thin white head light lacing .... aroma is of pungent floral hops and resiny citrusy/piney hops .... taste is piney with sweet resiny citrusy hops pungent floral hops and bitter spicy rye with some light sweet malts on the backend .... finish is dry and bitter with a spicy kick that lingers for a while ... mouthfeel is of hop oils and lively from the spices, slick and oily .... ibu’s def well represented ... abv hidden well not a bad brew

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
FudgeSociety2 (311) - Florida, USA - DEC 20, 2011
Pretty much a double ipa. Big citrus, with bitter pine or peel notes; melon/peaches. Similar to a good Southern Tier 2xipa. Good lead in to Hopslam next month. Leaves a great resiny hue on the palate.

joeneugs (3817) - Livermore, California, USA - DEC 20, 2011
Bottle. It pours very clear yellow/gold with a small white head. The aroma is super pungent with pine, cat pee, dank, and tropical fruit. Love it. The flavor is more of the same with insane hop flavors balanced nicely with some sweet maltiness that does not distract from the hop character or gum up the body. In fact it is very light and drinkable considering the ABV. My only complaint is about the very confusing packaging. Nothing about this beer suggests "holiday" to me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
zizzybalubba (1565) - Elizabeth City, North Carolina, USA - DEC 20, 2011
12 oz. bottle from SoHo Organic Market in Elizabeth City, NC. Copper colored pour with an off-white head. Floral and citrus hop aroma. Juicy grapefruit flavor with tons of bitter pine and grassy hop flavor as well. This is pretty much a DIPA even though the style on this site suggests otherwise. A really nice substitute that I hope will become their standard holiday ale.

tmongoose (1547) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - DEC 20, 2011
12oz pours golden yellow color with a quickly disappearing white head. the aroma is of citrusy/resiny hops and the fruit...yep i said fruit, mango’s jumped out of the glass at me. the first taste was like an incredible experience. the flavor of the citrusy hops climbs all over your tongue and then slowly disappears into this fruity concoction of mangos, possibly peach or some other fleshy type fruit. there is no bitterness in the hops this beer just seems to slide down nicely and it very good. personally i am glad they messed up this year and made this beer. thanks guys.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
CanIHave4Beers (3524) - Pouring Bus, Iowa, USA - DEC 20, 2011
Ask and ye shall receive I suppose. Just yesterday I was ruing not being able to try this.... I show up to my homebrew club’s Christmas party last night and lo’ and behold there were multiple bottles of this that had been brought.... Awesome.

Pours a perfectly clear golden color with a medium head that leaves some lacing on the glass.

The aroma is dank and just purely hoppy, herbal, citrusy, hoppy, hoppy, and hoppy. The beer is endlessly pungent and just a pleasure to stick your nose in front of, it is anything but complex but it doesn’t need to be complex it smells great doing exactly what it does.

The flavor follows the "simply hoppy" theme. Some resiny notes work well alongside the citrus and melon character of the beer & the beer displays that wonderful tongue wrenching bitterness without a note of astringency that is as much a physical sensation as it is a flavor. The beer is largely dry but gives a perception of sweetness from all the fruit forward hops.

Welp, at least I got to try it. How is this listed as an "American Strong Ale" when it is one of the clearest examples of a west Coast India Pale Ale I’ve tried in ages? Poppycock!

Smurf2055 (1400) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 20, 2011
There’s no way this isn’t an ipa. Crazy citrus, powerful bitter taste, great beer to have on tap at Uber. It’s honestly a little bit weaker version of Pliny the Elder. Super balanced, great beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
EvilHomer (1) - Alabama, USA - DEC 19, 2011 does not count
Well for me this was just below Pliny the Elder that I got the chance to guzzle on tap in Estes Park. Didn’t suck that they had Russian River Barrel-Aged Sours way below retail. ... Anyways. This was Mind-Blowingly good and nearly faultless. Huge apricot, mango, coconut, pinesol, lemongrass, basil and lemon oil. It’s just a ridiculous beer out of the blue. Made me open a Rate Beer account.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Lagunitasfan (1321) - San Diego, California, USA - DEC 19, 2011
UPDATED: JAN 14, 2012 12 oz bottle. I was sad to have missed this on tap, but I’ll keep a lookout since I’ve been a (relatively) good boy this year. I was shocked by the light orange, almost pink-tinted pour. I was still lightly under the impression this was going to somehow be a Christmas ale, of the traditional sort. Nose is typical Lagunitas hoppy goodness, with a bit of the typical Lagunitas farmhouse funkiness. The taste has the first burst of hoppiness, but a bunch of livliness and high fruit behind. Bit of Hop Stoopid, bit more of Sumpin Sumpin, and a hint of the "wild". I like it a bunch. The more I drink it, the more I like it. It’s very similar to what Iremember the first batches of Hop Stoopid being.