Serve in Snifter, Tulip

AKA Holiday Leftover Ale
AKA Brown Sugar Substitute

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
climberbob (314) - Virginia, USA - MAR 22, 2013
Bottle. Golden beer. Not much head. Hoppy aroma. Taste of grapefruit, resin, raisins. Slightly sticky mouthfeel. Hoppy finish. Considering I am not a fan of crazy hops I am surprised I like it. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Voodoo (475) - Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 21, 2013
Pours a dark golden color with a thicker white head which laces well. The aroma......overwhelming citrus and most definitely grapefruit is the most dominant aroma with slight piney notes being drowned out. Taste is grapefruit, then grapefruit, then a touch of malt and very slight bitterness, and the grapefruit lingers with a thick mouthfeel on the palette. Though very citrusy it does not have that normal sour bitterness in the aftertaste. Over the top but put together well.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
HighWine (955) - Whalezbro, Illinois, USA - MAR 20, 2013
Bottle to narrow chalice. Honey colored pour with a splotchy white head. Big tropical fruit nose; mango, papaya, and guava nectar coupled with grapefruit and other citrus juices. Taste is as hoppy as the nose but with a little more resin and alcohol heat. It’s like a mini-Pliny the Younger. Very hop-forward. Moderate mouthfeel and the finish is the only thing you taste: hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BrownALEx (374) - Portland, Michigan, USA - MAR 20, 2013
Pours a crisp gold with nice white head. Smells of hops, citrus hops. Taste is nothing more than the same. Palate starts sweet and ends bitter, reminds me of Two Hearted but as we all know, not as good. No, but really this is an outstanding beer. Alcohol is there for sure. I have no idea what Brown Shugga’ tastes like but this is one helluva substitute.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
shellym810 (2) - West Sacramento, USA - MAR 20, 2013 does not count
Aroma: piney goodness, bright hop smell, citrus - hard time picking up malts over all the orange citrus/hop smell. Maybe some dry hay malt. Appearance: light orange copper, white head, clear Taste: bitter hops up front, balances out midpalate, sweet citrus finish, and it all beatifully lingers together once it’s down. Palate: long finish - and I mean that as a good thing. Light body (tingly carbonation), oily sticky texture Overall: this is one of my favorite beers. I was initially worried that it was going to be a one time thing - literally just a Brown Sugga substitute for one year, and I was ready to throw myself off a bridge accordingly. I couldn’t live in a world where I knew this once existed, only for it to be no longer. Dramatic? Yes. True? Yes.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Mrthekidd (55) - Dallas, Texas, USA - MAR 19, 2013
I hope this is not a 1 and done. Fantastic aroma. Bitter taste but balanced with the sweetness of the malt. Delicious. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Concealer (1005) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAR 19, 2013
UPDATED: SEP 10, 2014 Pours a golden orange hue with a nice carbonation bubbling up to the top. The head is a pale white that is fairly thick. Nose is a wonderful combination of hops with spice and pine and fruit notes; most notably grapefruit. It is a smooth brew when next to most IPAs especially one from the west coast. I like it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
UDBeernut (2312) - Between JAX and SGJ, Florida, USA - MAR 19, 2013
Bottle pours golden with off crader rock off white head that coats my glass with lacing. Nose of malt, tangerine, pineapple, and pine cone. Taste is slightly bitter with solid malt presense. Hop flavors on finish coat my tongue. He what’d ya know.... an IPA thats actually an IPA. What a great marketing scheme.... Take note Founder’s.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
seymour (1750) - Maplewood, Missouri, USA - MAR 18, 2013
Tasted from a 12oz brown bottle into tulip pint glass, thanks gregwilsonstl! It poured a clear, orangish amber colour with fast upward streams of bubbles, HUGE, everlasting sudsy off-white foam which, after many slow pours you finally manage to fill the glass and perhaps hours or days later (that’s what it felt like, okay?!) you drink it down to the point where you see all the beautiful Belgian lace glued to the sides, too. It looked like a fuck!ng magic bubble bath which never dissipates. Aroma was profoundly strong citrusy/resiny American hops and not much else. I was prepared for this to be just another grapefruit bomb, but I was wrong. Thankfully, the flavours were much more complex than the aroma. Still extremely hops-forward, obviously, but I tasted layers of English marmalade, dried apricots, cranberries, mamosas, lemoncello...I could go on...but then held in balance by a crisp, firm, husky grainbill which reads like a Belgian farmhouse ale. Peppery, earthy, woodsy...getchasome! Light body, moderate carbonation, with a well-rounded mouthfeel, and harmonious hoppy tang that just wouldn’t go away. Smooth not harsh, with high alcohol content completely hidden as well. Man, oh man, I gotta hand it to Lagunitas, this is another ridiculously well-crafted beer. I’m not even a big fan of IPAs, but this is like a hop-bursted Saison, which I can most certainly get behind. Cheers!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
MaBeer1972 (1560) - Taunton, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 17, 2013
I had this on tap at Doherty’s last week. This rating is from the bottle. Pours out a light golden color. Fine carbonation with a foamy white head that settles to a heavy lace. Aroma is bright and hoppy. Flavor is of honey malts with a blend of citrusy-spice hops. Lingering bready and bitterness.