overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 1396   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.73   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 74   EST. CALORIES: 292   ABV: 9.75%
We brewed this especially bitter ale in dedication to all the world’s would-be astronauts, in remembrance of the 2005 St. Patrick’s Day Massacre on the Brewery Party Grounds and also in joyous celebration of our 20-day suspension that following January. Do the crime. Do the time. Get the bragging rights. Cheers!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
mikedevilsfan (131) - Tennessee, USA - AUG 13, 2013
Hop bomb explosion- old ale or not! Caramel malt backed up by hops approaching a barley wine. Very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
dliberto (128) - Hampstead, Maryland, USA - APR 1, 2014
Drank from bottle. Nose is citrus, hops, and resin. Taste has a heavy orange presence a little sweet on the tongue with a dry and mildly bitter finish that doesn’t linger. Amazing beer

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
BeerGuyTWMore (128) - Florida, USA - MAY 9, 2010
Appearance is intriguing: a mahogoney wih ruby tinge; off-white smooth head. Honey notes overwhelm pine, grapefruit, rose petal, caramel/toffee (some burnt molasses maybe) and some wood on the nose. Flavor characteristics follow suit (lot of resinous citrus) but also some plummy notes-nice creamy medium body. Exceptional!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
bseribeer (128) - Illinois, USA - SEP 16, 2011
Good concoction from Lagunitas. Pours a beautiful amber with a thin, tan head. Aroma is a bit piney and a tad punget. Taste is bitter with good, strong hops hops. Heavier body with a dry finish. It’s an American Strong, but to me it’s more of an Imperial ESB, if there is such a thing. Less on the sweeter, caramel, more on the hops and bitterness. Enjoyable, and the 9.87% will creep up on you.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
jackamackson (127) - USA - JUL 8, 2006
on tap at horsebrass. sweet and carmelly with a touch of citrusy hops. pretty light tasting and deceiving in alcohol content. very tasty.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
aaronbr (125) - Palo Alto, California, USA - JUL 11, 2010
Love the sentiment behind this ale as well as the story that it owes its existence to. Also really like the beer itself. A nice orange-red with a creamy head. Hoppy, with a toasty finish. Perhaps a little nutty on the malt, which isn’t my favorite, but all in all, I’m giving this one a thumbs-up.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BeerNeedy (125) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - AUG 18, 2011
If you like strong ales you’ll probably like this one. Pretty well rounded with good malty backbone and a strong alcohol finish. This would be a great winter warmer!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
taffurs888 (124) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 4, 2007
Nice beer, very hoppy I felt, with a nice blend of caramel malt taste. Had a nice body too it. Reminded me of other Lagunitas though.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Bronzan (122) - Windsor, California, USA - JUN 9, 2010
A nice, sweet, inviting aroma with a hoppy character...pours a deep, dark, clear amber. The taste has a tad more sweetness than I generally prefer...I pick up some fruits, tropical-like. Overall, pretty nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
dphoxie (118) - North Carolina, USA - JUL 22, 2012
My first impression was it poured a little darker than I expected it would pour. The hop aroma was the next thing i noticed. I enjoyed the strong hops taste and smell, but it also balanced very well. I usually enjoy Lagunitas, so it didnt take much for another regular at my favorite bottleshop to convince me I shouldn’t leave without this one. All in all a very good ale, I’ll continue to purchase Lagunitas beers to drink when I don’t feel like thinking too hard at the shop.