overall

RATINGS: 94   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%
4/20 Special Double IPA

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
GIJOE (574) - North Berwick, Maine, USA - APR 23, 2014
Pours golden amber with a thin white head; copious lacing. Nose is hops; heavy notes of grapefruit pith. Taste is bitter with a great malty backbone. Medium body. Lively carbonation. Very nice IPA. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
notalush (4763) - Denver, Colorado, USA - APR 21, 2014
Tap at Freshcraft - dark gold - lively pour, with a thick, lasting head - very well-executed double ipa - malts are sweet, but clean and not sticky or dense - just enough to give fhe dank, citrusy, piney, perfumey hops something to cling to - this really lets the hol profile shine - no astrigency or abrasive bitterness - a little alcohol heat to finish, but otherwise clean and enjoyable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
crossovert (6927) - Illinois, USA - APR 21, 2014
Draft. Amber/gold poor, decent lacing. Smell is sugary with some tropical notes. The flavor is sharp bitter and dank. Carries a bit of booze and sweetness. Slight tropical notes lingering in the finish. Love the bitterness but the yeast and malt characters could be cleaner.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
WillDunn (28) - - APR 21, 2014
Exactly what you'd expect given the holiday; full of dank hops from start to finish.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
mililani (24) - - APR 21, 2014
I just got this off of a fresh tap yesterday. First, the aroma from the beer is just amazing. I could smell it throughout the bar as they were tapping it and serving everyone. It smells like Pliny the Elder or Younger from afar, and it filled the room with lovely scents of pine, citrus, and fruit. It was just amazing, and I was already full of anticipation. The appearance also got me really excited to try this out. Based on the reviews here and the picture, I thought this would be a very malty IPA reminiscent of DFH 90 min IPA (which I’m not a big fan of). But, when I saw it pour, it came out to be much more clear and blonde with tinges of orange hues. Almost like Pliny the Younger I had earlier this year. So, I was ready for a mouth bomb of citrus and hops. The taste was interesting. It wasn’t malty at all, and finished very dry and clean. This is what I look for in an IPA. So, it’s a very West Coast style of IPA as opposed to DFH’s 90 min malty style of IPA. It finished SO dry, that I sometimes had to chase the IPA down with water. It left my tongue and palate very clean. There was a lot of that hop bomb aroma, and they really got that 4/20 dank bong water dialed in. But, that’s where I didn’t like it so much. The taste had way too much aspirin like bitterness that sat on the palate way too long. If I could change something, I would add dextrose to this to balance the over powering astringent bitterness with dry sweetness to balance out the flavor profile. But, so far, all I get is over powering bitterness on the finish. However, I felt the same way about Pliny the Younger. So, if you like that, then this is the beer for you. It also had too much onion like dank from I think CTZ hops. And, I don’t like IPA’s with too much CTZ. Overall, it was a good West Coast style IPA to try. But, I think I’ll stick to my favorite double IPA bomb: Pliny the Elder.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
raphael (865) - Portland, Oregon, USA - APR 20, 2014
tapped at the green dragon an hour before we got there, looked good. aroma a little subdued. flavor resiny with a little citrus and enough sweet to balance. didn’t do any hop analysis. good overall, but given it’s publicity I expected a little more distinct. the alcohol is well-concealed.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Alextricity (509) - Michigan, USA - SEP 9, 2013
Served on-tap at One-Eyed Betty’s in Ferndale, Michigan. Appearance: A light brown color with a nice bubbly film on top -- lacing’s decent, but nothing extraordinary. Smell: As others have described it, quite dank... malts, fruitiness... interesting smelling beer, no doubt. Taste: Like the aroma, but holy hell the alcohol is very noticeable... not just in the flavor, but in the warmth as well. It was masked in the aroma, but that 10% definitely comes through on the taste buds. The warming sensation works well with the aromas and rest of the flavors, and makes for a pretty solid sipping beer. The feel is solid as well, no complaints there. Overall, after having it side-by-side with something like Kuhnhenn’s DRIPA, I found it to be ALMOST forgettable, which is a shame, because it was still a damn good beer. It smelled great, and tasted very good. The ABV is pretty insanely high on this, and it’s an excellent example of the style. I hadn’t even heard of this beer before having it, but I trusted Lagunitas, and it didn’t fail me. Incredibly solid beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
rader58 (774) - Leawood, Kansas, USA - AUG 6, 2013
Pours a dark copper color. Aroma of heavy hops, pine, spruce, citrus, caramel. Flavor of pine, spruce, caramel.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jbrana (378) - NASHVILLE, Tennessee, USA - JUL 26, 2013
I enjoyed this one quite a bit. It’s very sweet and smooth with an overwhelming amount of hop presence. There are strong floral, citrus, and resinous notes with quite a bit of grapefruit and dank flavors.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Dogbrick (7575) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JUN 16, 2013
Sample at the brewpub. This brew pours a slightly hazy dark orange color with a medium foamy off-white head that recedes gradually. Small patches of lacing on the glass. Aroma of hops, ripe fruit and malt. Medium to full body with flavors of dank hops, earthy malt and pine. The finish is moderately bitter with a resiny hops aftertaste. Pretty good all around.