overall

RATINGS: 419   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.42   IBU: 38   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Our flagship beer, this English Strong Ale is available throughout the Adirondacks and greater Northeast. Deep garnet red in color, Ubu weighs in at 7% alcohol by volume (ABV) but is known for its fantastic taste. It features dark fruit and roasted malt flavors, with a slightly bitter finish. 43 SRM.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
matty (204) - Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 17, 2014
12 oz bottle. Pours a deep ruby red/brown color with a slightly off white head that settles to a film. Aroma is mostly malt, roasted malt/burnt caramel, some alcohol and a touch of hops. Taste carries some of the caramel/malt aroma with it. I get a little bit of a roasted malt taste as well. I think it could use a bit more body to it, it seems a little watery. Finish carries more of a pronounced roastedness to it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
willblake (2653) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - JUN 21, 2004
Brewtopia’04. Reddish-brown, clear; fluffy head. Earthy aromas, bready. Not much to body for a strong ale. Alcohol not very prominent. Tasty but too mild, I thought, and falling short of the mark.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Boutip (4775) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 22, 2005
Bottle: Poured a medium black color ale with a nice foamy off-white head with standard retention. Aroma of roasted malt is kind of weak and I could not find anything else really. Taste is also a bit thin with some roasted malt and not much else going on. As mentioned, body is thin and carbonation is low I’ve had much better beer form that style to truly care about that one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Glouglouburp (6078) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 31, 2006
Clear brown with a small white head. Nose is earthy, tobacco and horse. Taste is very malty that’s, sweet, woody, maybe a bit nutty and also… well… “hairy”!?! Something about the taste reminded me of wet fur or something of that nature. Decent beer but I like my beer like I like my women, not too hairy.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Brandman (2108) - Helsinki, FINLAND - AUG 24, 2009
355 ml bottle. Bark brown redish body wiht light brown head. Malty, little sweet aroma. Bitterness is mild and balanced, sticky mouthfeel.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
SudsMcDuff (5866) - .....Manchester United.........., Texas, USA - JAN 17, 2013
12oz bottle .. . pours a medium brown .. abv was done well .. mild all around, nothing to special but non offensive .. . mild grain and bread, slick mouthfeel .. . . sit ubu sit, good dog!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
EithCubes (5011) - New Jersey, USA - FEB 24, 2013
Bottle. Nose showing etoh, otherwise caramel and spicy grain, a little honey and sweet chocolate malt. Very old, dulled copper penny color with a dense but short beige head. Taste is sweet, a little ashen roast sliding in under slippery malt, some caramel and laid-back chocolate, heavy without being aggressive, alcohol well-integrated (which I did not expect right out of the bottle). Faint tang, faint hops, little bit of a pilsner squeal, hint of floral notes. Medium-full body is not flat, but the taste is. Not quite sure what this is aiming for; strict style adherents would reject this straightaway, but I see it as more of a ditzy, confused Brown Ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - MAY 16, 2003
This beer was so enjoyed by President Clinton during his visit to Lake Placid that he had Lake Placid Brewing send more to him at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. However, I'm not Bill Clinton and I'm less enamored with this beer. It has considerable bitterness, particularly noticed after the malt taste has faded. Also, it's a bit roasty. Reminds me how at the end of watching TV's "Family Ties", they would say "Sit Ubu, sit! Good dog."

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
madsberg (10309) - Søborg, DENMARK - SEP 20, 2005
Bottled: Amber coloured. Unclear. Brown coloured head. Light spiced, light grassy aroma. Flavour of liqourice sweetness and spice. Ends on a light sweet note. Strange brew.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
obxdude10 (2046) - Pottstown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 11, 2010
Judging by the previous ratings and the overall scores of this beer, it looks as though I’m in the minority. The Ubu Ale didn’t sit well with me at all. I enjoyed the dark reddish brown color, but the beer couldn’t keep a head on it and there was no lacing left behind on the glass. The nose was very malty and bready, but not much else. The flavors and body were also very malty, with some caramel and rye notes. The finish featured a bit of chocolate and alcohol in it, as well. I can’t really put my finger on it, but this beer just missed the mark for me.