overall

RATINGS: 97   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.29   EST. CALORIES: 195   ABV: 6.5%
Our interpretation of the American red ale style. Unlike most other examples of the style, ours is a dark, robust red from the use of 5 different malts. A blend of 3 different hops from 4 additions gives our Mesabi Red a full hop character.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
junkeee (22) - Edina, Minnesota, USA - FEB 29, 2008
Bought a six pack while staying on Superior North Shore. A very good red. Strong alcohol, it has some teeth but still but goes down smooth. The dominant flavor is roasted malt, with enjoyable hopped accents. I tend to favor crisp clean lagers, but when I go for a red, this is just what I’m looking for.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
GaltScat (195) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - FEB 20, 2008
Opaque dark amber-brown. Finger of light brown foam. Sweet fruity & malty aroma with just the slightest hint of roasted nuts. Light medium, somewhat chalky feel. Flavor is toasty and malty but the fruitiness does not quite come through. Finish was earthy.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Haslinger (853) - The World of Beer, Texas, USA - DEC 31, 2007
Rather unexciting beer. One of my friends works at this brewery and he gave me one. Nothing special

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
IlanMan (1015) - Appleton, Wisconsin, USA - DEC 29, 2007
I wasn’t as impressed by this beer as some may have been. Tasted bland for the description. Not a bad beer, don’t get me wrong, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Mrthirstyneck (341) - Minnesota, USA - OCT 17, 2007
great red way better then leinies. nice flavor nice color as well very drinkable too. try one today mostly good

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
sthlm (1224) - Iowa, USA - SEP 29, 2007
[Bottle, ABR ’07] Someone came around and poured this while I was waiting in line for Surly BA Darkness. Taste is malty and sweet. A very weak aroma. Medium thickness. A very average beer that I am glad I did not invest much time in trying.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Headbanger (2978) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - SEP 26, 2007
12oz bottle (2/02)-Pours a dark amber body with a decent off white head and an aroma of roasted malt, caramel, and some hops. Taste of all of the above with no real balnce between them but not a bad tasting amber.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Ughsmash (7003) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 26, 2007
Bottled, thanks to Skyview. Poured clear medium-to-deeper orange with a short, well-retained creamy beige head. The aroma picked up sweet toasted caramel and candy sugars, semi-sweet chocolate, and some leafy/herbal hop presence. The flavor had more of the candy with some artificial sweetener.. still some caramel throughout.. herbal and medicinal bitterness was tacky and kind of ugly at the finish. Light-medium bodied with an OK flow, but tacky at the back-end. Decent and drinkable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
gws57 (1274) - Saint Charles, Illinois, USA - AUG 5, 2007
Found this bottled at the Cashwise in Duluth, Minnesota. Hazy copper pour with a hacy tan head, sweet malts and piney hops, dry and alcoholic. Good!

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
thomasacross (129) - Edina, Minnesota, USA - JUN 29, 2007
Draft at Black Forest Inn. Looks nice enough but I found the aroma reeked of bad floral perfume and that smell permeated the flavor. Like with Leinie’s Sunset Wheat, I know that this is what some people want -- but I just have no tolerance for it.