RATINGS: 736   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.11/5   EST. CALORIES: 192   ABV: 6.4%
This unique stout combines the flavor of roasted malts and Milwaukeeís reknown FUEL CAFE coffee. The fine balance of mild hops, the gentle acidity of choice cofee and the sweetness of the barley makes this an unforgettable brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Bockyhorsey (2610) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - OCT 24, 2005
Has a great coffee ground aroma which matches the beer name/ Black body witha tan head. The flavor was weak like watered down coffer with some bitterness. Leaves a coffee aftertaste on palate.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Juelze (1141) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 4, 2005
Pours a dark brown color. Smells of dark chocolate, coffee, roast. Taste is dark chocolate more then anything with coffee supporting it from the background. The chocolate was too over the top in my opinion.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
MilkmanDan (1943) - Eagan, Minnesota, USA - SEP 23, 2005
Very dark with a tan head that fades away to nothing. Nose coffee, molasses, and wood smoke. Flavor is reasonably rich, coffee is definitely there but not overpowering, balanced with deep molasses sweetness. Somewhat astringent and bitter. Reasonably full body, but feels a bit undercarbonated.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - SEP 10, 2005
Poured a very dark brown with a medium tan head. Aroma of ash, tangy smoke, and light notes of chocolate. I drink black coffee 2-3 times a day and I donít smell any in here. Roasted malt flavor with more of the tangy smoke. Flavor is watery and body is light. I was happy about opening this beer. The label made it very appetizing. Big disappointment.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Doppelganger (1388) - Dry County, Arkansas, USA - SEP 1, 2005
Pours a deep red tinged black, with a nice dense dark tan layer of head that lingers in a nice skim. Some coffee roasted notes, but something else is taking my attention. Something that on one hand makes me think ginger bread, and on the other hand makes me think soy sauce or terriyaki. The soy/charred meat kinds of smells are winning. Flavor is sour and unpleasant. If I swish it around in my mouth I can pick up some nicer flavors--some creaminess, som light coffee roast. But the sourness is the dominant characteristic. The palate could be nice, if the sourness werenít so distracting. Hard to completely seperate them. I realize I am rating a bad bottle here, and maybe that isnít fair. But I bought this bottle stored chilled, just a few miles from where it was brewed, and I have kept it cool and dark since then. It is just unacceptable to have this beer be infected, and I think my lousy rating is justified. Though I will give it another taste next time I have the the oportunity.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
frankenkitty (1984) - Oak Lawn, Illinois, USA - AUG 16, 2005
Boy! What a head! My first pour was 1/2" of beer under a full pint of thick & sudsy, big-bubbled, brown head. Took awhile to fill the glass with liquid, which was black, oily and dense. Aromas were strong coffee, sweetish prunes and raisin. <font color=red>Wowie-zowie! <font color=black>The flavor is bit-TER! Heavy burnt-coffee bitterness all the way through with a touch of plum and a metallic ending that (for some reason) made my mouth water. Mouthfeel was slick but a little thin and the burnt coffee lingered for quite awhile. Good, in a "once-in-a-while-I-like-an-espresso" kind of way.

<font size=-4><a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Liquors, Chicago, IL<font size=-1>

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
1FastSTi (3357) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 6, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 17, 2006 Pours to a huge, thick, rocky an head with excellent lacing. The aroma comes off as musty and dank. Light chocolate and vanilla. The flavor has dark chocolate and grass hops. Coffee. Itís not even a sweet stout, unfortunately. The palate is very light and weak. This needs some body! 5, 5, 7, 2, 13 = 3.2
Well, I resampled this and arrived at the same total. It pours to a dark black/brown body with a lasting creamy light brown head. Decent lacing. The flavor is a nice dark roasted coffee and light bakers chocolate. The aroma is too light. Very faint coffee roastiness. The palate is bitter, medium bodied, roasty, lightly astringent. Lively carbonation. 5, 4, 7, 3, 13 = 3.2

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Tubbfan (147) - Joliet, Illinois, USA - JUL 28, 2005
Opaque dark brown/black appearance with small head, multi-sized bubbles that didnít last and almost no lacing. Canít smell much either other than some coffee. Taste is rather watery with prickly carbonation, some dark chocolate, coffee, malt and slight hop bitterness as an aftertaste. Something is there thatís REALLY tart it makes my mouth pucker, but I canít figure out what it is. Very dry finish. Donít think Iíll try this one again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 11, 2005
Deep, dark brown but translucent with a silky tan head. Big cold coffee aroma with little detectable malt underneath. Roasty, coffee flavor with a pleasant aftertaste but insufficient stout character comes through the coffee. Not bad, but I prefer more depth and balance in a coffee beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
SoLan (1550) - Florida, USA - JUN 7, 2005
Black. Tan, quick-dissolving head. A wiff off coffee as I poured, nose also has roasted chocolate. Coffee flavor right up front, slight hop character in the finish-just enought to balance. Sweet and roasty malt and coffee. Pleasant aftertaste. Medium body. Good stuff.