overall
Serve in Shaker, Tumbler

RATINGS: 417   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.1   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
An all-sorghum beer. New Grist, a beer for Celiacs brewed from sorghum and gluten-free yeast grown on molasses. New Grist is the first “official” gluten free beer in the U.S., although it cannot technically be called “gluten-free” until established governmental guidelines are determined for all products claiming “gluten-free” status. In the interim, this Celiac-safe beer can be called “barley-free,” and is a welcome product to those who need to live on restricted diets due to intolerance to gluten, a protein found in common brewing grains such as barley, wheat, rye, oats, spelt, kamut and triticale.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
jzzbassman (1516) - New Albany, Mississippi, USA - JUL 24, 2006
Bottle from Santa: Poured a pale yellow with a head that was gone before I could sit down. Very sweet and fizzy, not horrible but nothing I would really try again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
DYCSoccer17 (3328) - Woodland, California, USA - JUL 24, 2006
12 ounce bottle purchased at Manchester Wine and Liquors. Aroma is doughy, a bit sweet with some honey notes. I also detect some floral notes present as well. Relatively faint, though. Transparent pale pale yellow color with a small, quickly dissipating white head. Flavor is very fizzy, lightly sweet. Some doughy flavors are present in the middle. Pimento olive flavors present in the finish. Lots of olives, yup. Some mild acidity. Not really a fan of this. I’m so lucky I don’t have Celiac disease (although I’d be skinny and not fat if I did have it :- )

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
kmeves (1098) - Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 21, 2006
I really respect Russ and Jim for making this beer for Celiacs but this is by no means a beer that a Ratebeerian would enjoy IMHO. Minimal head, almost clear color. Has a light grainy/fruity sweetness. Hop profile difficult to pin down. Very light in body.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Nuffield (3691) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - JUL 20, 2006
I really like the thought behind the beer--I’ve known a person or three who have been gluten intolerant, sometimes seriously so--and it really throws down a challenge to brewers. Sorghum has potential--see Guinness in Nigeria--but the hurdle must be pretty high, I’d guess (though I’m not a brewer). Yellow and very plain looking, this beer brings a sweet front though with a white-wine sensibility. Fruity in a mild way--think pear juice, green grapes. The palate tingles a bit, not entirely of carbonation (seems like the alcohol effervesces on the tongue on contact, or something impossible like that). In the end, this isn’t a beer worth drinking on a regular basis if you’re not Celiac. It’s more of an alternative beer for mainstream Macros.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
aracauna (3094) - Georgia, USA - JUL 17, 2006
This bottle looks a lot like the one on the photo, except it says Brewed from Sorghum and Rice extract on the label. I’m not expecting much going in. The color is a nice gold with possibly a slightly pinkish cast. The aroma is really pretty fruity, bubblegum and fresh grapes. There’s not a lot of flavor other than this big fruit, but I’m not sure if it’s from the yeast or the sorghum. Makes me interested in trying some sorghum in my homebrew.

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
RCL (2030) - Waltham, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 16, 2006
To everyone who is gluten intolerent: I’m sorry, you poor bastards, look into wine and hard liquors. No one should be subjected to this, no matter what. Wierd thin palette and flat, bad, slightly sour flavor.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Cletus (6354) - Connecticut, USA - JUL 10, 2006
Pours yellow/water with a thin white head. Smells mildly fruity. Tastes of watered down fruit juice with hints of apples and pears. Not a whole lot going on here.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Headbanger (3325) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - JUL 5, 2006
12oz beer-An aroma of sourness on a golden yellow body with a head that dissipates quickly. A light body. there is no taste on the front end but a very sour one on the back end.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 7/20
dwyerpg (4579) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JUL 5, 2006
Not great smell. What is a ’traditional’ ale? Just the slightest head. Initial taste is semi-decent, but then wow, it gets a bad honey flavor that is at the same very ricey. I wouldn’t call it a session beer like the label. It would take me a whole session just to get through it. If I was intolerant to gluten I think I would just choose not to drink anything than be forced to drink this.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 14/20
IPAndy (120) - minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JUL 5, 2006
High overall for being gluten free. My fiancee has Celiac, so we tried this one. Hopefully some of the other gluten free brews will less mistakeable for carbonated water...