overall

RATINGS: 445   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.1/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
An all-sorghum beer. New Grist, a beer for Celiacs brewed from sorghum and gluten-free yeast grown on molasses. New Grist is the first ďofficialĒ gluten free beer in the U.S., although it cannot technically be called ďgluten-freeĒ until established governmental guidelines are determined for all products claiming ďgluten-freeĒ status. In the interim, this Celiac-safe beer can be called ďbarley-free,Ē and is a welcome product to those who need to live on restricted diets due to intolerance to gluten, a protein found in common brewing grains such as barley, wheat, rye, oats, spelt, kamut and triticale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
puzzl (3259) - New York, New York, USA - AUG 13, 2006
Actually a rather nice aroma. Very subtle, floral, perfumy and lightly fruity, much like a BDG. The pour is an ugly honey yellow with little head, although what head there is still laces a bit. In the mouth, unfortunately, it is rather vile, with a slight fruit start that succumbs to a putrid yeastiness, rice, and a long, never-ending finish that is pretty rotten but has an ever so slight touch of mint. Iíd much rather a crappy aroma than crappy flavor... oh well. I still gave this a decent score because itís good to see beers like this being made, both because celiacs (and I know one) can drink them, and because traditional styles are always neat.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
hopscotch (10563) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - AUG 11, 2006
Bottle... co-rated by Duff... Clear, very light yellow ale with a small, wispy, white head. Lots of acetaldehyde I suspect. Smells and tastes watered down with lots of green apple bubblegum and spent grain. Light-bodied and fizzy. Short crisp finish. Neither of us liked this one much. Not at all good. If youíre going gluten free, go with Dragons Bard at this point.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
keoki182 (305) - West Bend, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 10, 2006
Smells like a Sam Adams Boston thatís been skunked. The taste is really different. Itís certainly not a favorite of mine, but I have to say that the flavor of the sorghum and gluten-free yeast is not awful. Itís a weird sourness that I canít pinpoint. Even the aftertaste is sour. Iím glad Iím not a Celiac because of what they have to go through on a daily basis, but I commend Lakefront for attempting to give them a better option than many gluten-free beers.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
ABUSEDGOAT (2564) - California, USA - AUG 5, 2006
When I read ímade from rice extractí on the bottle, I had to buy this. Not even Budweiser has those kind of balls. At least this one is from Milwaukee, a place known for great beers. Oh, and thereís a sun on the bottle, and sunlight is awesome for beer. Finally, the bottle says itís crisp. How could I not buy this? My expectations were low, I expected a lackluster pale lager. I uncapped it, and first put my nose to the bottle for a preview. Nothing. It coulda been Dasani. I poured it and got an extremely pale yellow body with a dishwater head that rapidly diminished. My father laughed as he saw this. Crystal clear, no lacing. I checked the aroma again. Well, it smells like something, but I wouldnít call it beer. I got some vague fruity notes with some cardboard. Really empty, and what is there is not good. The flavor lingers a little longer than Iíd like on my tongue. Again this flat fruit flavor with something that just doesnít belong. Interestingly, itís more likely that something should belong that isnít. Well, at least I didnít have to change the numbers up above.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
maniac (3800) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - AUG 2, 2006
Clear fizzy golden color with a thin white head. Faint sweet aroma. Sweet fruity flavor, almost hints of candi sugar.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Numenor (871) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - AUG 2, 2006
Golden yellow body , very carbonated with minimal head. Sweet citrus, orange and grapefruit aroma. Sweet, fruit body, not like a normal lager. Spicey ending.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
BuckNaked (1230) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - JUL 28, 2006
Bottle: Pours to a clear, pale light yellow body with a thin, quickly receeding white head. The aroma is distinctly differnt from a typical pale lager, showing the same kind of sweet vegitable scent but it somehow seems more earthy to me, thereís a mild sweet candy cane-like scent that seems to become more apparent when swirled. The taste is and interesting sweet at first, kind of like a soy-milk soaked burlap bag with sugar, come youíve all had those, followed by a light earthy bitterness, some mild toasted toffee, and hints of rice. Though at first sip it does taste very similar to a shitty pale lager, itís actually not that bad once you get used to the off flavors. Light bodied, medium carbonated, finishes with vegitable taste. Ok when I say itís not bad I was expecting it to be terrible, so itís not as bad as I was expecting but itís not something I would pick up again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
BeerandBlues2 (12045) - Escondido, California, USA - JUL 28, 2006
Pours a pale gold with very little white head that almost immediately fades away. Aroma is yeast (sweat, earth), sorghum, malt (grain, meal), rice and flowers. Rice, honey, sorghum and buttery biscuit malt flavor, yeast notes. Light bodied and dry palate.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
jzzbassman (1580) - Arlington, Texas, USA - JUL 24, 2006
Bottle from Santa: Poured a pale yellow with a head that was gone before I could sit down. Very sweet and fizzy, not horrible but nothing I would really try again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
DYCSoccer17 (3620) - Woodland, California, USA - JUL 24, 2006
12 ounce bottle purchased at Manchester Wine and Liquors. Aroma is doughy, a bit sweet with some honey notes. I also detect some floral notes present as well. Relatively faint, though. Transparent pale pale yellow color with a small, quickly dissipating white head. Flavor is very fizzy, lightly sweet. Some doughy flavors are present in the middle. Pimento olive flavors present in the finish. Lots of olives, yup. Some mild acidity. Not really a fan of this. Iím so lucky I donít have Celiac disease (although Iíd be skinny and not fat if I did have it :- )