overall
Serve in Shaker, Tumbler

RATINGS: 426   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.1   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
An all-sorghum beer. New Grist, a beer for Celiacs brewed from sorghum and gluten-free yeast grown on molasses. New Grist is the first “official” gluten free beer in the U.S., although it cannot technically be called “gluten-free” until established governmental guidelines are determined for all products claiming “gluten-free” status. In the interim, this Celiac-safe beer can be called “barley-free,” and is a welcome product to those who need to live on restricted diets due to intolerance to gluten, a protein found in common brewing grains such as barley, wheat, rye, oats, spelt, kamut and triticale.

0.9
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
kujo9 (1094) - North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA - DEC 22, 2005
12 oz bottle: If I saw someone just pour this out of a bottle, and didn’t know it was beer, I’d thought someone was pouring me a ginger ale! Lots of white fizzy head at first, then it dwindles to nothing in no time! Butter cream apple cider aroma and flavor! Thin, fizzy, and overall un appealing! And that’s all I have to say about that! I’m out!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - DEC 20, 2005
Pours a pale, almost hazy yellow that rises up to create a short fluffy head and the body ends up looking like apple cider. Light sweet aroma. Taste starts off with a fizzy carbonation and then lemon and sugary sweet, not thick but it tastes like there’s a syrup running thru it. Finish is dry and odd. I guess there is the taste of sorghum within - I evidently don’t like that flavor very much.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
Ernest (6597) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - DEC 19, 2005
Head is initially small, frothy/fizzy, off-white, fully diminishing. Body is clear medium yellow. Aroma is moderately malty (cereal/corn), trace hops (flowers). Flavor is moderately sweet, lightly bitter. Finish is lightly sweet, lightly bitter. Light to medium body, watery texture, lively/fizzy carbonation. Had I rated blindly, I totally would have guessed this was an ordinary adjunct heavy beer (smells just like sweet corn). Sorghum isn’t exactly an ordinary adjunct, but even so, knowing what it is hardly affects my rating...it’s hard to enjoy in any way as a novelty beer or otherwise. Sweet, simple.

0.7
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
tiggmtl (4545) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 10, 2005
Sweet, buttery diacetyl and fruit in the aroma. Clear blonde body with a low white head that recedes to ring. Full on diacetyl flavour almost obliterates the underlying fruitiness. Very dry medium body with sharp pointy carbonation. Obviously not one of my preferred beers of the festival. Bottle sampled at GABF 2005.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
twindadplus2 (626) - Wisconsin, USA - NOV 14, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 12, 2008 Nearly colorless but has a faint gold tinge and a small head that completely vanishes in short order. Aroma is very weak but brings to mind a honey wheat bread and a hint of buttered crescent rolls. Taste is sweet, cookie malt, grains and peaches. The finish is the strongest part of this beer, a creamy, buttery finish that’s actually quite nice. After being very put off by this beer at first it grew on me a little, but only a little. It’s not bad, the palate is just so watery that it doesn’t seem entirely satisfying. I have no problem drinking it and would even enjoy it but I won’t go out of my way to find it again.

1.2
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
kramer (5347) - Sunbury, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 14, 2005
12 oz bottle. I know that some folks showed this "beer" some love simply because it was sorghum based, and maybe in an ideal world where I would be able to rate this beer "true-to-style" then maybe I would be able to do that as well. Unfortunately I can’t do that. Poured the palest color I’ve ever seen with no head at all. Aroma can be summed up in one word - butter. Tasted like I was drinking liquid marjorine. Very thin and watery as well as fizzy. This ain’t beer people. Run from anything that has sorghum listed on the label.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
JCapriotti (1379) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 3, 2005
Coppery amber body, moderately sized fizzy white head that fades. Aroma seems like a Miller with caramelly and slightly lactic chocolate hints. Taste is sweet grassy grain with an odd slightly bitter grain finish. Also kind of a leafy "weed" character late in the finish too. It is not as bad as I expected overall, though, it isn’t very interested (aside from being gluten free). To me, it certainly isn’t offensive, aside form the awkward taste adjunct in there.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
1FastSTi (3343) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 31, 2005
Pours to the clearest golden body imaginable. Looks like watered down white wine. No head. I’ve seen more attractive mainstream beers. The aroma is like a honey and peach concoction, almost like fruit salad, but it’s missing the pineapple. Nectar sounds like a good analogy. It doesn’t smell bad, just not like beer. The flavor is canned peaches and the juice with a dash of lightly buttered biscuits. Weird. I suppose, if I couldn’t eat wheat/grains/gluten due to food allergies... but then again, there’s gotta be something other than beer to drink (not like I could live with that). I understand the need for this beer, but why! The palate is watery and weak. They almost need to create a new beer style that is gluten-free beers. This would probably be pretty high up on the list, but... I agree with StewardofGondor. I gave a 10 overall because it seems like a decent attempt at producing a gluten-free beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 31, 2005
Extremely clear and nearly white in color with a small splash of ammonia to tint it yellow. Honey whole wheat bread with oats on the crust is the first waft to register, followed by sugary lemons, low fat crescent rolls, nectar and sweet clover. Peculiar flavor, immediately imparting a watered down characteristic, but it spins into something that gets me thinking about lemon-flavored Propel fitness water. Palate’s remotely pathetic with an odd effervescent sprits, aligning the flavor to something now more akin to lemon seltzer water. Honey biscuit dough finish. Although the rating says 2.7, it’s not that bad - it’s just that the sum is worse than the parts. Hopefully the gluten-free group will be more pumped about this one.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
heemer77 (5158) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - OCT 26, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 1, 2006 Medium gold body with a thin white head. The aroma is waffles with some light peaches. The taste is nasty canned peaches along with a coppery and buttery finish. There is also some light glazed ham in the finish. I have had better gluten free beer, but this is a decent attempt. Thanks for the beer, MrFacto.