overall

RATINGS: 526   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.36   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
The rich amber color and caramel flavor of this beer are derived from the generous amount of caramel malt in our recipe, with just a dash of roasted unmalted barley for a subtle toasted flavor in the background. The sweetness, body, and mouth feel tell you that this is an all-malt beer. The finish has a balanced edge of Willamen and Casade hoppiness which cuts through the malty character, leaving a clean palate which beckons for more. Note: the terminology of "stein" refers to the appropriate drinking vessel and not to a type of beer made with hot rocks.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jcalbi (378) - New Jersey, USA - NOV 11, 2002
Murky amber color with a thin but persistent off-white head. Aroma of caramel malt and almonds. Flavors of chocolate toffee and a slight astringent finish. No hop feel that I could detect.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
howie (549) - DeForest, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 7, 2002
Great malty aroma, roasty caramel flavors, smooth and easy to enjoy. Great clean, hop-balanced finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - NOV 1, 2002
Lively Vienna/Marzen, beutiful amber with amazing clarity. Flavor is a superb malt-hops balance (malt almost flawless). Good stuff-reminsicent of Victory Fest-Dominion Octoberfest.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
HighGravity (926) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - OCT 26, 2002
(Bottled First Week Of September) These lakefront beers have great clarity. Nice malty nose, it is like I stuck my head into a bag of grain. Sweet, but not too sticky. I like it but I find it hard to categorize.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - OCT 25, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 16, 2003 Bright glowing amber in color, nice frothy head that cling to my glass. Light caremel malty aroma, flavors of sweet caramel, very balanced, smooth clean finish, great for the vienna style, great session brew.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
JohnC (3000) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - OCT 5, 2002
crystal clear amber color, very simple smooth taste. A good session beer

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
heykevin (1276) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - SEP 23, 2002
Nothing like the changing of seasons to get me revisit styles I haven’t in a while, well that and access to a hyped beer. This guy is definitely work the effort to find. Attractive (if subdued) malty aroma. Flavor is smooth and wonderful. I wouldn’t classify it as particularly complex, but it is a wonderfully nutty, slightly anisey flavor that is backed by a nice hop kiss. Nice mouthfeel, without being particularly thick in the mouth, which for something short of a bock is definitley an advantage. I wish I had more easy access to this guy, as it would go wonderfully with many a fall evening.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Pjones6738 (500) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 14, 2002
Nice amber color, with a thick long lasting head. Malty smell, with a bit of fruit. Fantastic mouthfeel, light and crisp. The taste is subtle and hard to define...slightly caramelly, but with a sweeter bite to it. It feels like the opposite of the Belgians I’ve tried. While those club you over the head with a variety of flavors, here the flavors are in the background, blended together well. A laid-back beer, if that makes any sense. Goes down very smooth, and I could see making this one of my everyday beers.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
jayme9874 (756) - Hamburg, New York, USA - SEP 14, 2002
Deep,bright amber. Minimal head. Huge nose of malt, caramel, hops, touch of peat and others. Medium bodied that has a bit of a watery texture, lots of toasty malt flavors, caramel, cascades are there but the malts keep them at bay. I love malt:) A damn fine vienna but I think I like Elliot Ness a bit more. Thank you Psychprof.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 8/20
baseballguy (246) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 12, 2002
Explosively foamy out of the botle, in the exact manner of the Lakefront Cream City Pale Ale I recently rated. What little beer there was left in the bottle was moderately tasty, but I can see what others have meant about the Lakefront freshness problem. My Riverwest Stein was bottled in July (2002, presumably) and was purchased in Appleton, Wisconsin, so there really shouldn’t have been any problem with it. I’m disappointed in Lakefront so far; my apologies to my esteemed colleague muzzlehatch.