overall

RATINGS: 459   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.34   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
This formidable India Pale Ale has a hop aroma that demands attention. The bold, citrus hop flavor is balanced by a dry malt character making this refreshing ale a true classic.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
Westchesterco (831) - mclean, Virginia, USA - DEC 8, 2013
Poured from s bottle it is aclear golden Ipa with a slight head. The aroma is of citrus. The taste is of sour pickles and the bitterness lingers on the palate

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Iphonephan (3028) - McLean, Virginia, USA - DEC 8, 2013
From a 12 oz bottle shared at home. Pours a clear gold with an off white head. Grassy nose. Vinous flavors with a hint of tropical fruit. Medium bodied, smooth light finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
guzzler67 (1490) - Hanover, Maryland, USA - OCT 29, 2013
Hazy bronze appearance with an average size beige head and modest lacing. Aroma of soft fruit, caramel and a dusting of floral hops. Flavors of citrusy, floral hops edge out sweet malts through to the aftertaste. Medium bodied, nicely carbonated mouthfeel with an average length finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
emacgee (3958) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - OCT 14, 2013
From BMart. Pours a soft and slightly hazy orange amber and one finger of sudsy off white head. Nose is interesting, notes of candy-ish fruit and spicy citrus. Lots of sweet caramelly notes. Flavor is meh. Round and caramel sweetness upfront with a zesty and dry note.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
flying_pig (898) - SCOTLAND - SEP 25, 2013
355ml bottle as a gift from Virginia:
Strong & sweet malt smell straight away. Biscuit & caramel next with citrus & a faint smell of alcohol, hardly any hops though.
Caramel brown with a 1cm, creamy looking head with great retention.
Sweet caramel and some light citrus with some malts. A few light fruits sitting in the background with a hint of orange and some pear. More hops than came through in the nose but I still wouldn’t class it as a particularly hoppy beer. Very nice though.
Medium bodied beer with a sweet beer that has lively carbonation and the beer is surprisingly smooth. There is some bitterness and the finish is somewhat dry with further sweetness as well.

Labelled as an American IPA but it seemed more pale ale to me. A few hops coming through but for the most part it was the sweet malts and caramel that dominated. The beer has perfect carbonation and was sweet throughout with a good balance and was one that I quite enjoyed.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
JulienHuxley (2854) - Hilversum, NETHERLANDS - AUG 24, 2013
Bottle. Dark copper pour with white head. Aroma of muddy cooked veggies, caramel, light vegetal hops. Taste of caramel, off fermentation notes and cooked veggies. Yuck.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Imaena (1791) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - AUG 15, 2013
Malty and viscous. Sweet doughy brew. Then the wallop of hops bowls you over.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Ed5388 (1972) - Forked River, New Jersey, USA - AUG 11, 2013
12oz bottle. Pours a clear dark copper color with one finger of white foamy head. Aroma of bready malt, caramel, with a little pine. Taste is bready, caramel malt, and pine.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BrianBeerGod (8) - Niagara Falls, New York, USA - JUL 29, 2013 does not count
Okay, so I was given this IPA as a gift, because when I haven’t had a beer and a friend has one… they usually save one for me. Did I say that I love my friends!? And even as a gift I like to be honest. He had given me warning that “with a name like Hop Hog it was disappointing,” so I was curious. Being a self proclaimed hop head, I opened this to a nice hoppy aroma that was quickly snuffed out by some nice malty touches. It poured a nice hazy orange like all of my hop-heavy IPA’s do with a nice hazy off-white head. At first sip the hops are there, but not as pronounced as I would have hoped. As I let it linger for a moment I was overcome by its maltiness. The description of the beer says that it’s massive hops are balanced with its malts, but I think that they went a little overboard with them on this brew. I’m not saying that this is a bad thing, just not what I was envisioning with such a hop heavy name as “Hop Hog” For big hop IPA fans, I would shy away from this one. Even with it’s big ABV, it’s a malt heavy IPA. Now… with that said, if you have a chance to try one, I would. It’s an interesting taste, and some people may actually enjoy this. So with this beer, I almost created a new category for my reviews, because I “approve” of this beer, but I would put an asterisk because it’s only for the malt heavy fans.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Beergeek23322 (2133) - Chesapeake, Virginia, USA - JUL 21, 2013
March 2010. Bottle. A decent IPA with citrus, caramel, and pine aromas. Nice hoppy balance with a lingering finish.