overall

RATINGS: 472   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.35   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
This formidable India Pale Ale has a hop aroma that demands attention. The bold, citrus hop flavor is balanced by a dry malt character making this refreshing ale a true classic.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Ed5388 (2538) - Forked River, New Jersey, USA - AUG 11, 2013
12oz bottle. Pours a clear dark copper color with one finger of white foamy head. Aroma of bready malt, caramel, with a little pine. Taste is bready, caramel malt, and pine.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BrianBeerGod (12) - Niagara Falls, New York, USA - JUL 29, 2013
Okay, so I was given this IPA as a gift, because when I haven’t had a beer and a friend has one… they usually save one for me. Did I say that I love my friends!? And even as a gift I like to be honest. He had given me warning that “with a name like Hop Hog it was disappointing,” so I was curious. Being a self proclaimed hop head, I opened this to a nice hoppy aroma that was quickly snuffed out by some nice malty touches. It poured a nice hazy orange like all of my hop-heavy IPA’s do with a nice hazy off-white head. At first sip the hops are there, but not as pronounced as I would have hoped. As I let it linger for a moment I was overcome by its maltiness. The description of the beer says that it’s massive hops are balanced with its malts, but I think that they went a little overboard with them on this brew. I’m not saying that this is a bad thing, just not what I was envisioning with such a hop heavy name as “Hop Hog” For big hop IPA fans, I would shy away from this one. Even with it’s big ABV, it’s a malt heavy IPA. Now… with that said, if you have a chance to try one, I would. It’s an interesting taste, and some people may actually enjoy this. So with this beer, I almost created a new category for my reviews, because I “approve” of this beer, but I would put an asterisk because it’s only for the malt heavy fans.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Beergeek23322 (2602) - Chesapeake, Virginia, USA - JUL 21, 2013
March 2010. Bottle. A decent IPA with citrus, caramel, and pine aromas. Nice hoppy balance with a lingering finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
MadRobin (2392) - Silver Spring, USA - JUL 8, 2013
Poured from 12 oz. bottle. Clear, bright rusty-orange with a tan head and very good lacing. Aroma of herbal hops, iced tea, light fruit and bread. Taste of bread, toffee, prunes, sweet preaches, brown sugar and mild herbal hops. Medium/light body and medium/low carbonization. Not very hoppy or bitter and slightly sweet for an IPA. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
obeast (15) - Alabama, USA - JUL 7, 2013
Disappointing IPA. Has almost a fortified alcohol taste to it. Complete loss of Hops taste due to the bitter almost vodka taste.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
shrubber85 (9004) - Greenville, Indiana, USA - JUN 16, 2013
Bottle. Orange and metallic orange peel aroma. Amber with moderate head. Sweet clementine malt and lightly bitter orange peel flavor. Not bad.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
queenholly (3502) - South Whitley, Indiana, USA - JUN 9, 2013
Bottle. Sweet orange and bready caramel malt aroma. Clear copper with a huge creamy ivory head. Roasty caramel malt and earthy hops flavor. Body on the light side of medium, soft carbonation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Beerathon (1558) - Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 7, 2013
Burnt orange in color with 1 finger head. Hop flavor is a but citrus but mostly earthy. Oily mouth feel with lingering bitterness.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
BigFam (1) - Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 31, 2013 does not count
Their hoppiest to date? No way. I am a big time hop head and I can’t detect any hops in this at all. Big disappointment. If this were a blind taste test, it would be a wheat beer all the way. I was actually wondering if I got a mislabeled case. Bummer...now I have a whole case to get rid of.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
DunkelElvis (2) - Jefferson, USA - MAY 24, 2013 does not count
Too sweet......almost like a malt liquor with a chaser of hops. It definitely marches to a different beat than other IPAs. I like the bite and sharpness of most IPA styles but this one is not top shelf.