Lawson’s Finest Brettzilla

Lawson’s Finest Brettzilla
     click to upload

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 3.63/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.04   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 261   ABV: 8.7%
Hopzilla Double IPA with brettanomyces.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Glouglouburp (6010) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 15, 2013
In short: An intense sweet, bitter, nourishing and semi-funky blond beer. Fun all-over-the-map beer.
How: Tap at Prohibition Pig, Waterbury VT. (Lawson’s takeover day)
The look: Cloudy orange blond body topped by a medium white head with medium retention.
In long: Nose is coniferous upfront with grapefruits and brett not far behind. Despite its name this far from a brett bomb, at least not this fresh batch I had on tap. Taste has lots of bread socked in some kind of grapefruity piney sweet mixture, a lot of dry fruits. A finish that is both sweet and very bitter. Brett shows up in the after-taste an cleans everything up with a rake. Nice mouthfeel with lively carbonation that is more like a true Belgian ale than an American IPA. I’m quite a brett-head and also quite a hop-head but I would not drink many pints of this beer. This is quite an intense and filling beer, all over the place, one full serving was enough for me. I’m so glad I could use my wife as a designated driver to attend this Lawson’s takeover at Prohibition Pig, having a designated driver is essential for a beer lover like me, I’m so afraid my wife eventually finds me useless and dumps me that every time we come back home I go into the kitchen and tighten all the lids.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
AdamJackson (2565) - Enfield, New Hampshire, USA - NOV 17, 2012
On tap at prohibition pig. Saw Sean Lawson on my way in. 10 ounce serving for $8. Dark brownish amber and cloudy. 2 finger fluffy white head that fades slowly leaving nice lacing. On the nose, bread and pine hops. Hint of grapefruit and tangerine. Honey as well. Taste is up front very bitter. In the middle, dry earthy notes with a mild and slight Brett finish. It’s not over powering but the breadlines and chewy notes are strong and enjoyable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
MartinT (7797) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 19, 2009
My Bottom Line:
Coniferous brettanomyces wilderness amazingly melds into the grassy and spicy hop character of this funkified Double IPA, building a very dry and highly engaging flavor profile.

Further Personal Perceptions:
-A slice of foam tops the hazy blond.
-The finishing hop bitterness is levelled, fitting perfectly with the chosen hop signature.
-Effervescence increases drinkability, as does the fact that alcohol is nicely hidden.
-At times it is difficult to dissociate the wild yeast and the hops, which is why this flavor profile works so well, imho.

On tap at the Vermont Brewers’ Fest.