overall

RATINGS: 625   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.2   IBU: 16   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
Southern Pecan Nut Brown Ale is the first beer in the world, to our knowledge, made with whole roasted pecans. The pecans are used just like grain and provide a nutty characteristic and a delightful depth to the flavor profile. This beer is very lightly hopped to allow the malty, caramel, and nutty flavors shine through. The color is dark mahogany. Southern Pecan won a Bronze Medal in the 2006 World Beer Cup in the Specialty Beer category.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
dra31 (5) - Memphis, Tennessee, USA - SEP 28, 2006 does not count
On tap at Old Venice in Starkville, MS. Pours nice nut-brown color. Moderately sweet, more so than I was expecting. Great local treat.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
biggmike (480) - Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA - SEP 8, 2006
Pours an attractive copper-brown, without much head or retention. It is an acquired taste for me as I was not crazy about it at first, but it really grew on me. Lazy Magnolia’s microbrews are the only made in this area since Hurricane Katrina destroyed the Brew Pub at the Beau Rivage Casino. Mostly balanced leaning towards sweet.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
Willison101 (3) - Biloxi, Mississippi, USA - SEP 6, 2006 does not count
One of the few micros that are available down here after the storm...quite a few local pubs and eateries have this one on tap...perhaps that’s why I’m partial to it...love the aroma and rich flavor.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
garmonbozia (423) - Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA - AUG 30, 2006
All Lazy Mags are on tap or in a pig. They do not have bottles at this time. Pours a nice reddish brown color with no head. Smell of possibly brown sugar and pecans. Taste is about the same as smell, but a bit watery. I find that all of the Lazy mag beers I’ve tasted are on the watery side. But I do enjoy this beer on occasions with a nice meal or a hot summer afternoon.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
BeerandBlues2 (9071) - Hanover, Maryland, USA - AUG 18, 2006
UPDATED: AUG 15, 2008 On tap at High Cotton in Gulfport, MS. Pours coppery nut brown with a small foamy and creamy head, some creamy lacing, not much retention. Aroma is nutty malt (meal, cereal), sweaty yeast, caramel notes and trace hops. Medium acidity, mild bitterness, buttery and nutty malt, sweaty yeast with some light sweetness near the end. Light bodied and fizzy palate.

jodyperkins (78) - Mississippi, USA - JUL 27, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 30, 2006 Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan is available in party-pigs (2.25 gallon self-pressurized mini-kegs) and 1/2 gallon bottles (called growlers). It’s currently only available in MS but hopefully they’ll expand soon. It is an amber beer with a creamy head (if you pour it slowly). It has a slighly nutty taste and is excellent with seafood or steak.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
cazort (497) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 24, 2006
I normally don’t like flavored beers but this one wins my approval--the pecan flavour really does blend well with the beer. This tastes like a fairly rich, slightly nutty beer. It’s hard to distinguish the nut from the malt, which I think is a good thing. My only complaint is that this beer has a creamy, lager-like sweetness that I could do without. Besides that it’s pretty good; if it were made less sweet it might be greatly improved, in my opinion.

mmurray (3) - Bay Saint Louis, Mississippi, USA - JUN 25, 2006 does not count
The original Pecan Nut Brown Ale. The conventional wisdom is that nuts and beer don’t mix. Maybe it’s something about the water here, and maybe it’s just the smooth toasted flavors in Southern Mississippi pecans, but our pecans help make what we consider to be one of the best beers we have ever tasted. We consider pecans to be a perfect addition to this nut brown ale. Smooth and mild with a malty sweetness accentuated by a rich finish. A finely balanced ale destined to become a southern classic

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
BrockLanders (770) - Panama City, Florida, USA - JUN 13, 2006
On tap at Beef O’Bradys in D’Iberville, MS. This one was served a bit too cold also. Nice nutty brown ale. Sweet malt nose...I guess pecans, but unsure. Dark brown, sorta translucent. Flavor is sweet malts with a prevailing earthy nuttiness. Light hop bitterness toward the end. Nice beer..though nothing that would have you standing on the table for more. At a place like O’Bradys you’re glad you don’t have to stick with the standard macro swill.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
21iceman40 (1731) - vienna, West Virginia, USA - JUN 12, 2006
I had this shit at sams lounge in the middle of a run down hotel bar that was under construction. The people, the fish tank, the stuffed bobcat all scared me, but this beer was actually good. I have no fucking clue why it was on tap there though. Solid thick off white head. Decent body to it, nutty aroma to the malts. Not the thin shit micro you would expect from a bar of this caliber, very decent beer.