overall

RATINGS: 732   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.66   IBU: 82   EST. CALORIES: 291   ABV: 9.7%
At Left Coast Brewing Co. we pride ourselves on being one of the pioneers of Double IPA style craft beer. This hop monster uses Premium American 2– Row and a touch of light crystal malt to create a solid malt foundation. Five different Hop Varieties are used in the Hop Juice. It spends two weeks dry hopping in fermenter contributing to its great hop aroma. Starts out sweet and finishes with the crisp bitterness of a Double IPA. This drinkable blend will have you HOPPING till nights end.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Boutip (4920) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - SEP 11, 2008
Bottle courtesy of Bu11zeye: Poured a deep cloudy orangey color ale with a small foamy head with average retention and some good lacing. Aroma consists of a sweet malt base with loads of grassy hops with a dominant bitterness. Taste is an unbalance mix between some grassy and extremely bitter hops with a malt base that I just too sweet for my liking. Body is full with some great carbonation and no alcohol could ever be perceptible over this much hops and malt. I am not sure if my expectation where too high or what, but I didn’t enjoy this as much as expected – the balance between the sweet malt and the bitter and grassy hops is hard to digest…

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
SP23 (10) - Jurupa Valley, California, USA - SEP 9, 2008
Bottle. Pours a very pale orange, with a slight head that has decent lacing. It has a very strong vanilla and honey smell, not a bad thing. Not very hoppy, but still fulfills my hop jones. The finish could be cleaner, I am getting a lingering sweet hop taste. Overall I am enjoying this beer and will try it again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ThomasE (5174) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - SEP 5, 2008
Hazy orange colour with a very small white head. malty, caramel and vanilla sweet aroma with fruity and alcohol sweet notes. malty, caramel sweet and light dusty flavor with notes of vanilla.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Hophead22 (2879) - Redlands, by way of Wisconsin,, California, USA - AUG 31, 2008
22oz. bottle. Poured a dark gold, nice lacing white head. Big piney/citrus aromas, great aroma. Very hoppy, not as well balanced as some DIPA’s, but still very good, very nice effort.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
arondee (586) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - AUG 24, 2008
Maybe I got a bad bottle but then again maybe I just don’t like the taste. I’ve had tons of double and even triple IPA’s. I love a good bitter beer but this beer is just wrong. It smelled delicious out of the bottle, lots of honey. I couldn’t stop smelling it. Then the first sip...dirt, bitter dirt. Actually it wasn’t all that bitter, it just tasted like a beer gone bad with dirt in it. Tastes nothing like any other IPA I’ve ever drunk in the past. Arrogant bastard, dogfish head 90 minutes, stone, etc.. I love them all. This beer is just plain foul. Maybe I need to get another bottle, because based on the reviews I should have like this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
mabel (7015) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 4, 2008
[1307-20080418] 22floz bottle. Fresh multi-grain bread aroma with dull malty woods and an evergreen background. Hazy, medium orange body with a quick creamy off-white head. Super malty bitter grainy bread flavour with a balanced hop "infusion" as an aftertaste. Medium-full body has a very bitter finish. Handles the alcohol well, "That’s a double."
(w/ blankboy, HogTownHarry, jerc, tupalev)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
puggy211 (711) - cordova, Tennessee, USA - AUG 2, 2008
pours copper thin white head,nice hop aroma,though not that strong,sweet on front of the tounge,bitter finish leaves the pallet fast.Hides the alachol very well,very easy drinking double ipa.I like this beer,but I feel that for an double IPA it is not quite as good as some others I have had.Dont get me wrong this is a good beer,but I was expecting more.

Angeloregon (2055) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUL 29, 2008
22 ounce bottle from Oggis in San Diego, CA--Poured a West Coast Style pale amber-copper body with a fluffy thick whitish head. Nice hoppy, floral, piquant nose. Very citrus and grapefruity! Sticky, gripping with a hearty malt underpinning. Very delicious!!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
aleyin (14) - Murrieta, California, USA - JUL 28, 2008
22 oz bottle. Copper/white head. Hops, citrus, pine aromas. Extravagant & in your face use of hops. Balanced and intricate flavors with small malt. Citrus. Bitter but not too offensive. Flavor stays with you.Could drink all night long but 9.4% says you wont be doing too much else.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
bb (7051) - Alamo, California, USA - JUL 18, 2008
Draft. Amber beer with a nice off-white head. Grapefruit aroma with caramel and some pine. Rich caramel flavor with grapefruit and somoe resin. Lingering caramel and citrus. Lots of malt, needs a bit more bitterness.
Earlier Rating: 7/27/2005 Total Score: 3.7
Draft. Rich dark amber beer with a nice off-white head. Hoppy aroma (grapefruit/pine) with a lot of sweet malt. Flavor has tons of caramel to back up lots of citrus/pine hops. Velvety/creamy/rich mouthfeel very good. My only complaint was there was too much caramel malt in the flavor - I wish it was toned down a little to let the hops ompletely overpower.