overall

RATINGS: 889   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.2   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Okay, this one isn’t for everybody – yet. Over the years we’ve been asked to brew a year-round IPA, but have balked at the idea because of the flood of American IPAs currently on the market. If we couldn’t make an IPA that was different what was available, that we personally liked to drink, and one that we could put our personal signature on and be proud of, we didn’t want to do it. So, last fall we brewed a single batch IPA on our new brewhouse and sent it out to 5 different markets around the country to test the response. Which turned out to be pretty positive. So, here we are in 2009, and we’re back playing again with a few new test batches that we’re sampling here in Colorado and a few select markets around the country. What’s in a name, you ask? Well, back in February of 2007, there was an article in there titled ‘Extremely Boring’. Go back and find that issue, and that specific article, and you’ll see why we named the beer 400 Pound Monkey. Happy sleuthing!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Thewade (275) - USA - MAR 17, 2014
Not for me. Tried a month apart, thinking that I might’ve had a bad bottle. Golden in color. Tastes too "earthy" to me. Kind of funky.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Christpuncher (708) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 11, 2014
A very bitter ipa with a dry finish easy to drink and pours a dark brown in color Ha at whirleybawl in Lincoln park ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
MarcoDL (1521) - NETHERLANDS - MAR 11, 2014
I expected more from this beer. It’s hoppy and fruity and all, but a bit plain.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Cousin_Larry (240) - - MAR 7, 2014
With a name like 400 pound monkey I was expecting.much more. A little bitter and just underwhelming

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
Pizz5116 (55) - Bayville, New Jersey, USA - MAR 7, 2014
Pale clear golden pour. No head. Earthy floral piney scent. Oily earthy taste. Not very enjoyable. Very dry on the palate

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
motelpogo (6130) - Plzen, CZECH REPUBLIC - MAR 2, 2014
bottle, thanks to skykob. pale golden with a lingering white head; slightly belgian character to the aroma with some honey and spice; medium bitterness, lightly floral. balanced and drinkable but unexciting

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
MartzMimic (52) - Oklahoma, USA - FEB 24, 2014
Pours a clear copper with a nice bubbly head. Slight pine, bread and spice smell. The caramel malt really comes through with a bit of fruit in the background. A nice touch of bitter aftertaste. A medium-light mouth with some carbonation. Very pleasant.

0.7
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
EyeAmBaldman (122) - Illinois, USA - FEB 22, 2014
I don’t like IPA’s so take this with that in mind. I got this in a Left Hand Brewery variety pack. I gave two away and tried this one. Again, IPA’s are not my thing but I would rather drink a 6-pack of Chain Breaker than drink this. It smells like steamed cauliflower...seriously. Doesn’t taste as bad as it smells but it finish with a metallic taste. So far this is the worst beer I’ve ever had.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
574deadzone (885) - North Central, Indiana, USA - FEB 17, 2014
Pours a hazy sunny golden with a thick khaki head that settles to a thicker ring and leaves some dripping, hanging lace. Nose is subtle and English, doughy yeast, lighter citrus notes, some peach, some dust, some herbal and floral stuff. Lightly sweet, quite bitter. Lighter bodied, oily, tannic and drying, with a lengthy herbal hop finish. Very enjoyable, quite underappreciated based on the ratings. Incredibly drinkable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
cfrancis (2153) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 16, 2014
Pours clear copper with a small white head. Aroma light grain and small caramel and noble hops. Taste is light grain, light caramel and earthy hop.