overall

RATINGS: 889   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.2   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Okay, this one isn’t for everybody – yet. Over the years we’ve been asked to brew a year-round IPA, but have balked at the idea because of the flood of American IPAs currently on the market. If we couldn’t make an IPA that was different what was available, that we personally liked to drink, and one that we could put our personal signature on and be proud of, we didn’t want to do it. So, last fall we brewed a single batch IPA on our new brewhouse and sent it out to 5 different markets around the country to test the response. Which turned out to be pretty positive. So, here we are in 2009, and we’re back playing again with a few new test batches that we’re sampling here in Colorado and a few select markets around the country. What’s in a name, you ask? Well, back in February of 2007, there was an article in there titled ‘Extremely Boring’. Go back and find that issue, and that specific article, and you’ll see why we named the beer 400 Pound Monkey. Happy sleuthing!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Kingi (448) - - SEP 23, 2013
Good english style ipa. Has the ipa charesteristics but very subdued compared to the american style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
PhilJackson80 (254) - Oklahoma, USA - SEP 22, 2013
UPDATED: APR 20, 2014 12 oz Bottle. The beer pours to a dark golden / copper color with a small white head. The aroma has a floral & bread notes to it. The taste is light in body with a very slight bitter aftertaste. Overall a good IPA.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
cards04 (1459) - Steinbach, Manitoba, CANADA - SEP 22, 2013
Not overly impressive. Pours a nice cloudy yellow. Some sweet aromas. Flavours are a bit malty and there is some hops at the end... but it was kind of dull.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
suprchunk (1955) - Crestview, Florida, USA - SEP 11, 2013
Golden colored pour. Soapy white head that fades quickly. Little patches of lacing as it recedes. A corky aroma mixed with a slight bit of malt. Not much in the aroma at all. An earthy taste of malt and slight taste of hops. A dry finish. Not bad, but I wouldn’t say IPA-ish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MattShizzle (532) - Bernville, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 10, 2013
Bottle. Golden color and clear. Aroma is of hops and malt. Really good - strong hops with a bit of malt in the finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Alextricity (509) - Michigan, USA - SEP 9, 2013
Best by 9/06/13. Bought for $2.19 a single and poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint on 6/20/13. I bought this beer just because it was the first time my bottle shop got it (to my understanding), and I hadn’t been let down by anything Left Hand had put in my belly. I thought the label on this was kind of cool, and I figured I’d give it a shot. It pours a slightly hazy yellow color with a two-finger head. It doesn’t last long, but I get some really nice lacing. The nose doesn’t have much going on, for me -- slightly malty with a BIT of a "funk" that I can’t quite pinpoint. There also seems to be a trace of citrus... oranges or something. The front of each sip on this beer is not good at all, to me. Picture one of those scented garbage bags with trash that’s been sitting in it for a few days... this beer tastes like that smells, at least on the front. If you don’t know what that smells like, it tastes like sweet rubber bands and Band-Aids. After that unpleasant taste goes away, there’s a spicy maltiness on the finish with a decent amount of hops. Being an English IPA, it’s not incredibly hoppy. 400lb Monkey does have a bit more bitterness than other English IPAs that I’ve had, for sure. A decent beer... an odd beer. If you like "dirty" beers/beers that have bizarre flavors that most people would find off-putting, this is the beer for you. The initial flavor on this beer is strange, strange, strange. After having a number of sips and working my way down the glass, that flavor went away a little bit, but I’m not forgetting that it was there. Given the price point and other tasty beers Left Hand makes for the same price point, I’m not sure I’d have this one again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
gruberm (315) - - SEP 4, 2013
Sweet Yeast smell. Doughy. Very contrasty taste to the smell. Peppery hoppy. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
HeadyDE (426) - Delaware, USA - AUG 30, 2013
Bottle pour..light orange golden color..ring like head sits atop..quite a lot of suspended particle action when held up to light..nose is mostly earthy..grassy hops.bit of rye like spice..mouthfeel is clean and crisp..ok offering..light to medium bodied..

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
bax (1049) - Hasselager, Aarhus, DENMARK - AUG 29, 2013
(tap 29/08-2013) low white head, clear orange color, light hoppy aroma, good bitterness, long hoppy taste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sureshpa (274) - Maastricht, NETHERLANDS - AUG 25, 2013
Aroma: Passion fruit, mango, hint sweet, bit of malt Appearance: Gold, orange glow, clear white head, medium lace Taste: