overall

RATINGS: 917   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.2   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Okay, this one isn’t for everybody – yet. Over the years we’ve been asked to brew a year-round IPA, but have balked at the idea because of the flood of American IPAs currently on the market. If we couldn’t make an IPA that was different what was available, that we personally liked to drink, and one that we could put our personal signature on and be proud of, we didn’t want to do it. So, last fall we brewed a single batch IPA on our new brewhouse and sent it out to 5 different markets around the country to test the response. Which turned out to be pretty positive. So, here we are in 2009, and we’re back playing again with a few new test batches that we’re sampling here in Colorado and a few select markets around the country. What’s in a name, you ask? Well, back in February of 2007, there was an article in there titled ‘Extremely Boring’. Go back and find that issue, and that specific article, and you’ll see why we named the beer 400 Pound Monkey. Happy sleuthing!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
22415brewery (371) - redmond, Washington, USA - MAY 15, 2010
A good english ipa, not necessarily true to form however a very quaffable ale overall. Neutral flavor profile with no distinguishingly unique characteristics. I do not see any reason to go out of my way to find this beer. Could use a little more body and more finishing hops, however smooth malt is a plus.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
gpekar (463) - Florida, USA - MAY 15, 2010
Poured a lightly hazy golden amber waith a tall creamy white head. There was a good amount of carbonation bubbles rising in the glass. The initial aroma was floral, then a good bit of malt sweetness followed by what I thought to be apricots. The texture of the beer was slightly creamy and it had a good bit of carbonation. The initial taste had a nice mellow hops bite followed by a malt sweetness along the lines of toffee that balanced well with the hops. The bitterness remained for awhile and reminded me of the white part of a citrus rind. The hops and malt married well for a nice smooth finish that faded away slowly. The head left a nice bit of lacing. A very nice IPA true to the English style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
dmac (3999) - Toms River, New Jersey, USA - MAY 14, 2010
12 oz bottle from EZ. Pours a clear orange amber with a small frothy white head. Aroma of grass, nutts, citrus, fresh hops, English toffee and bread. Medium bodied with lively carbonation and a slightly creamy full mouthfeel. Flavor of grain, nutts, citrus rind, crust and fresh hops. Good stuff for a slightly different take on an IPA.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
bhensonb (10935) - Woodland, California, USA - MAY 12, 2010
Bottle from Malt & Vine. Pours amber gold with a slight white head. Aroma suggests celery? Medium body with mild carbonation. Flavor is astringent and weird. It seems thinnish and herby. And malty. However, whatever this is comes together fairly well. It is tasty, but it’s difficult to sort out the flavors. Definitely a bitter finish. Goes pretty astringent. Almost puckering. Whatever it is, it’s good. But pretty different.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
dirt55 (198) - Washington, USA - MAY 11, 2010
Bottled crystal clear yellow with foamy white head, balanced floral hops with sweet bready malt aroma, big hop flavor up front with toasted malt followed by nice presence of hop bitters, light/med body with medium carb and residual hops on palate

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
gracefullypunk (667) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 9, 2010
Bottle. Pours clear golden yellow with rising bubbles and a rapidly disappearing off-white head. Dough, yeast, floral, and sugar in the aroma. Lively, bubbly palate. Tastes quite different from the standard west coast IPA, which is why I think I like it. More of a spicy and floral profile rather than the extreme grapefruit finish, although there is a slight citrus linger.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
travita (3930) - Frisco, Texas, USA - MAY 9, 2010
Bottle thanks to angrypirate. The look is clear, golden in color, and has a white colored head. The smell is fruits, sweet, candy like, and yeast. The taste is some hops, bitterness, sweet, and fruits.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Tmoney99 (10576) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAY 7, 2010
Bottle. Poured a clear copper color with an average white head that lasted and produced fair lacing. Medium citrus and yeast aroma. Medium body with a smooth texture and soft carbonation. Medium metallic bitter hop flavor with a medium bitter finish of moderate duration. My expectations where not met.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Damico (2562) - Royersford, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 6, 2010
I really don’t enjoy British IPAs too much. The aroma is vague, slightly sweet malty and wheaty. The color is honey with a very small head. The flavor is crisp, falls short with that clean hop bitterness typical of the British IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
gutowski (3) - USA - MAY 5, 2010 does not count
I don’t have a lot of experience with English pale ales, so here goes. Color is dark clear gold with a white head that dissipates quickly. Taste is medium bitter on the front end, then a hint of pineapple?? toward the back of the tongue. Maybe pine. Body is light to medium; carbonation is has a nice bite; finish is bitter. I tend to like bitter beers more than sweet, so this one isn’t bad. Overall, I’d rate this beer pretty good, but I think I’d rather load up my fridge with other varieties. Also, cool label.