overall

RATINGS: 991   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.2   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
Okay, this one isn’t for everybody – yet. Over the years we’ve been asked to brew a year-round IPA, but have balked at the idea because of the flood of American IPAs currently on the market. If we couldn’t make an IPA that was different what was available, that we personally liked to drink, and one that we could put our personal signature on and be proud of, we didn’t want to do it. So, last fall we brewed a single batch IPA on our new brewhouse and sent it out to 5 different markets around the country to test the response. Which turned out to be pretty positive. So, here we are in 2009, and we’re back playing again with a few new test batches that we’re sampling here in Colorado and a few select markets around the country. What’s in a name, you ask? Well, back in February of 2007, there was an article in there titled ‘Extremely Boring’. Go back and find that issue, and that specific article, and you’ll see why we named the beer 400 Pound Monkey. Happy sleuthing!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
ExpendableHero (774) - Florida, USA - JUN 27, 2010
Interesting take on the style. Golden beer, minimal head. The aromas are weaker than the typical IPA, still grassy and floral. The taste is spicy, tiny bit citric, hoppy(but less than most IPAs), and there is even a tiny hint of banana in my opinion. I can see why some people gave it lower ratings for an IPA, but the fact that it is so unlike an IPA works out fine for me. An interesting beer, I would not mind having it again.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
Frank (3340) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 25, 2010
From the commercial description, it sounds like left hand was trying to make something a bit different w/ 400 Pound Monkey and they sure did. This stuff kind of smells like cheese. What the hell? It would not be a bad smell for cheese but it is not anything like what I look for in an IPA. The otherwise hoppy nose tends more towards grassy and earthy which really aren’t may favorites either. This is not actively foul just really strange Flavor is more towards a hop leaning pale ale and is actually quite reasonable and nice all things considered. There are pleasant citrus notes around the edge complimented by a nice sweetness. The texture is decent as well, pretty middle of the road w/ its medium to light body and moderate carbonation. But, seriously, this smells kind of like cheese. How good could it be?

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
mixmasterob (970) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - JUN 22, 2010
UPDATED: JUN 24, 2010 Bottle. Poured a clear light golden color. Head was minimal with some lace left on the glass. Aroma was of some muddled Amarillo hops. Quite subdued, nothing special. Taste was all over the place. Some hops mixed in with some bread like malts. Not the most balanced IPA I have tried. Needed some hop flavor, lacked the goodness. Ended up being a drain pour.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
keepersj12 (2932) - Sicklerville, New Jersey, USA - JUN 21, 2010
Not my favorite IPA. It has a little bit of aroma, all bitter hops. Pours nice enough, clear amber with a decent head. The flavor is all hops. No balance. to it. Finish is nice and dry as expected. A real hop head might think differently.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jkwood04 (4772) - Connecticut, USA - JUN 19, 2010
Sampled at American Craft Beer Fest 2010. Pours golden amber. Aroma of hops, breadlike malt, and cheesy yeast. Flavor pretty much the same. A decent beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
RPKLove (105) - Astoria, New York, USA - JUN 17, 2010
Subtle citrus on the nose, definitely bread-like malts, not much in the way of hops. Amber in color, very transparent for an IPA, with a minimal white head. A little bitter at first, slightly metallic, not a whole lot of bite. More of a strong pale ale more than an IPA. Average IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
badlizard (5535) - Berkeley, California, USA - JUN 16, 2010
Clear dark golden with a fluffy white head. Hop aroma of citrus, marijuana, and subtle pine. Taste is big and bready with notes of barley and oats and a decent hops presence. Pretty good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Nuffield (3835) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - JUN 16, 2010
The label is really awesome--I don’t think it is inconsequential when a brewer puts a little extra into their produce in that way. I prefer the softer IPA style; very much more like a British IPA. But like British bitters and IPAs there is a little that is grassy and uncomfortable about this. Some murkiness. Better with food.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
derekbrown (106) - Greenville, North Carolina, USA - JUN 15, 2010
I had a video review of this beer, along with the crazy label, but alas, Twiddeo didn’t capture my video correctly. Boo. You’ll have to take my word for it: it was good. Not overly hoppy like American-IPAs (it’s a traditional British IPA), slightly more bitter (a good thing), with some definitive straw and grass undertones (also a good thing). Would go great with anything spicy (Vindaloo, Szechuan). I don’t tend to gravitate towards IPAs, but if I do, I grab a traditional IPA…like this one. I also made some notes about it in the video review for Saison Dupont.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
hatchattack (255) - Virginia, USA - JUN 15, 2010
Bottle. Poured a yellowish brown color. Aroma of citrus/grapefruit and hops. Taste: carbonated grapefruit juice at first, then a good bite of hops to finish. not as good as I was expecting it to be.