RATINGS: 999   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.2/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
Okay, this one isn’t for everybody – yet. Over the years we’ve been asked to brew a year-round IPA, but have balked at the idea because of the flood of American IPAs currently on the market. If we couldn’t make an IPA that was different what was available, that we personally liked to drink, and one that we could put our personal signature on and be proud of, we didn’t want to do it. So, last fall we brewed a single batch IPA on our new brewhouse and sent it out to 5 different markets around the country to test the response. Which turned out to be pretty positive. So, here we are in 2009, and we’re back playing again with a few new test batches that we’re sampling here in Colorado and a few select markets around the country. What’s in a name, you ask? Well, back in February of 2007, there was an article in there titled ‘Extremely Boring’. Go back and find that issue, and that specific article, and you’ll see why we named the beer 400 Pound Monkey. Happy sleuthing!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
mixmasterob (1004) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - JUN 22, 2010
UPDATED: JUN 24, 2010 Bottle. Poured a clear light golden color. Head was minimal with some lace left on the glass. Aroma was of some muddled Amarillo hops. Quite subdued, nothing special. Taste was all over the place. Some hops mixed in with some bread like malts. Not the most balanced IPA I have tried. Needed some hop flavor, lacked the goodness. Ended up being a drain pour.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
keepersj12 (2985) - Sicklerville, New Jersey, USA - JUN 21, 2010
Not my favorite IPA. It has a little bit of aroma, all bitter hops. Pours nice enough, clear amber with a decent head. The flavor is all hops. No balance. to it. Finish is nice and dry as expected. A real hop head might think differently.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jkwood04 (4963) - Connecticut, USA - JUN 19, 2010
Sampled at American Craft Beer Fest 2010. Pours golden amber. Aroma of hops, breadlike malt, and cheesy yeast. Flavor pretty much the same. A decent beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
RPKLove (105) - Astoria, New York, USA - JUN 17, 2010
Subtle citrus on the nose, definitely bread-like malts, not much in the way of hops. Amber in color, very transparent for an IPA, with a minimal white head. A little bitter at first, slightly metallic, not a whole lot of bite. More of a strong pale ale more than an IPA. Average IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
badlizard (5535) - Berkeley, California, USA - JUN 16, 2010
Clear dark golden with a fluffy white head. Hop aroma of citrus, marijuana, and subtle pine. Taste is big and bready with notes of barley and oats and a decent hops presence. Pretty good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Nuffield (3912) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - JUN 16, 2010
The label is really awesome--I don’t think it is inconsequential when a brewer puts a little extra into their produce in that way. I prefer the softer IPA style; very much more like a British IPA. But like British bitters and IPAs there is a little that is grassy and uncomfortable about this. Some murkiness. Better with food.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
derekbrown (106) - Greenville, North Carolina, USA - JUN 15, 2010
I had a video review of this beer, along with the crazy label, but alas, Twiddeo didn’t capture my video correctly. Boo. You’ll have to take my word for it: it was good. Not overly hoppy like American-IPAs (it’s a traditional British IPA), slightly more bitter (a good thing), with some definitive straw and grass undertones (also a good thing). Would go great with anything spicy (Vindaloo, Szechuan). I don’t tend to gravitate towards IPAs, but if I do, I grab a traditional IPA…like this one. I also made some notes about it in the video review for Saison Dupont.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
hatchattack (255) - Virginia, USA - JUN 15, 2010
Bottle. Poured a yellowish brown color. Aroma of citrus/grapefruit and hops. Taste: carbonated grapefruit juice at first, then a good bite of hops to finish. not as good as I was expecting it to be.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jimhilt (2490) - Bow, New Hampshire, USA - JUN 14, 2010
Pours a two finger white head that fades quickly to a thin layer leaving a good lace. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Clear pale amber color. Nose is light grapefruit hops. Flavor is sweet grapefruit with a lingering hoppy aftertaste. $2.15 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, MA.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
EithCubes (5307) - New Jersey, USA - JUN 10, 2010
Bottle. Juicy tropical fruit nose with crackery crystal underneath. Clear golden body with a large creamy, lacing white head. Taste is very bitter with an aftertaste of English hops, out of balance with malt but not extreme. Medium-full body. Sharp and sort of unredeeming.