overall

RATINGS: 912   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.2   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Okay, this one isn’t for everybody – yet. Over the years we’ve been asked to brew a year-round IPA, but have balked at the idea because of the flood of American IPAs currently on the market. If we couldn’t make an IPA that was different what was available, that we personally liked to drink, and one that we could put our personal signature on and be proud of, we didn’t want to do it. So, last fall we brewed a single batch IPA on our new brewhouse and sent it out to 5 different markets around the country to test the response. Which turned out to be pretty positive. So, here we are in 2009, and we’re back playing again with a few new test batches that we’re sampling here in Colorado and a few select markets around the country. What’s in a name, you ask? Well, back in February of 2007, there was an article in there titled ‘Extremely Boring’. Go back and find that issue, and that specific article, and you’ll see why we named the beer 400 Pound Monkey. Happy sleuthing!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
alexanderj (3297) - Gilbert, Arizona, USA - MAR 7, 2010
Bottle; poured a rich orange/caramel color with not much head. Aroma of earth, citrus, pine, caramel and bread/sugar/yeast. Really have to dive your nose into it. Flavor was more English in style to me, than what I expected. Hops reminded me of thos produced in the Pacific NW. Fruity and earthy. Solidly hopped. Backbone was pretty mild. Overall I am not sure what to make of this; some very enjoyable moments, but also some that are underwhelming. I guess on the whole it was good to really good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
durhambeer (2500) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - MAR 5, 2010
Bottle from Total Wine. Pours dark golden, almost orange. Small white head. Nose of British hops and mild grains. Hint of baby powder. Tastes more hoppy and sweet. Seems closer to 6% abv. Not bad, but nothing for me to get excited about.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
uilliacc (20) - Texas, USA - MAR 4, 2010
According to the BOD this beer is a month old.... Bottle pour, pint glass-- easy-pour head from the 12OZ bottle just crested the pint glass and subsided to a rocky - white pumice stone head with no overflow. 1/4th inch head stays with it to the bottom. Old gold with a pretty rain of bubbles heading to the top... lots of lace. Bubbles still in steady release an inch from the bottom. A good looking beer. Clean aroma, spring time wind around Two-Rock Ca., Grassy, sea breeze filltered over 3 miles of meadow. Nice, wish it was stronger, more obvious. Tastes kind of like kent goldings smells... maybe willamette... not overpowering. Sometimes I like big hops, sometimes I like good hops. This is good hops. I like this... didn’t expect to, but I do. Best analogy I can give, is that in good cooking while a touch of garlic can make a dish pleasant, three heads of garlic will make you remember the garlic... this beer uses the hops to make good cooking... I think this beer makes my session list-- I hope left-hand can keep it consistent...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
jcwattsrugger (11076) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - MAR 3, 2010
12oz bottle-pours a tight white head and yellow/gold color. Aroma is bready-light malt, lemon/herbal. Taste is sweet bready-light malt, overtaken by herbal hops bite, pepper.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Hopper (827) - San Antonio, Texas, USA - MAR 3, 2010
A golden beer with a 1 finger head that was very low carbonated and virtually flat. If you smelled real hard you may be able to smell a light hop presence. The taste is very mild and malty & it is shocking that it is 7%ABV with little to no hop presence. This definitely is a British style IPA with less hops & more a balanced brew but this is a very boring beer. The little to no carbonation makes for a bad mouthfeel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
VitaminR (540) - Colorado, USA - MAR 2, 2010
Intense caramel and fruit floral nose with hints of mint resin. Deep golden color with hints of orange, Thick long lasting spongey head with great lacing. Sweet caramels and malty, slow building and great balancing bitterness. Medium carbonation, medium to full body, soft malty finish with minty hops. This is an excellent beer. So nice to see a well-balanced and restrained IPA option in the market.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ansermadide (1511) - Kyle, Texas, USA - FEB 28, 2010
What a label! An ode to Hanuman? This delightful out-of-the-norm beer is visually normal, with a frothy white head and moderate carbonation and an extremely clean appearance. Let me tell you, however, this is one unique beer. Thanks to Ana’s observation of it smelling like blue cheese, well, I can’t help but to agree. The flavor is a real head-scratchingly hoppy, but clean and fresh, yet... earthy and herbal with a mysteriousness that really holds on. Very complex. A nice, clean IPA finish with a lingering characteristic of henna. Very impressive!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
mar (4784) - Dallas, Texas, USA - FEB 27, 2010
bottle thanks to angrypirate06. poured yellow with no head. caramel, fruits and light hops. watery on the palate, some caramel but i couldn’t really find the hops.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
SoLan (1550) - Florida, USA - FEB 25, 2010
Bottle. Orange/copper, white carbonation. Balanced english ipa. Bitter, spicy, grassy, herbal hops and grainy, toasted bread malt. Subtle hints of diacetyl on the finish. Medium body, balanced, biting bitterness on the end. Okay, would like to try it on cask.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
doomfistinc (82) - New Mexico, USA - FEB 24, 2010
12oz bottle from Susan’s in Santa Fe, NM. First tried at a beer tasting about a week ago. Pours a surprisingly light golden color with a slightly off-white head. Smells of florally hops. Taste is an almost perfect balance of hops and malt. They instantly cancel the other out leaving you with a pleasant aftertaste that I can’t quite describe. VERY light for a 7%. Good stuff.