RATINGS: 994   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.2   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
Okay, this one isn’t for everybody – yet. Over the years we’ve been asked to brew a year-round IPA, but have balked at the idea because of the flood of American IPAs currently on the market. If we couldn’t make an IPA that was different what was available, that we personally liked to drink, and one that we could put our personal signature on and be proud of, we didn’t want to do it. So, last fall we brewed a single batch IPA on our new brewhouse and sent it out to 5 different markets around the country to test the response. Which turned out to be pretty positive. So, here we are in 2009, and we’re back playing again with a few new test batches that we’re sampling here in Colorado and a few select markets around the country. What’s in a name, you ask? Well, back in February of 2007, there was an article in there titled ‘Extremely Boring’. Go back and find that issue, and that specific article, and you’ll see why we named the beer 400 Pound Monkey. Happy sleuthing!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
scrizzz (2223) - Bothell, Washington, USA - APR 8, 2010
Floral, herbal Simcoe nose. (guessing) Bright gold, light lacing. Crackermeal malt, more Simcoe hops, and a touch of honeysuckle. Tasty but kind of simple.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
markwise (4882) - North of Tampa, Florida, USA - APR 7, 2010
Am I the only one that thought this beer was ok? I am all for relatively sessionable IPAs, but I thought this one was so-so. Pours slight hazy gold with a white head. Nose is malt, biscuit, grass, and citrus hops. Flavor is similar with a fair amount of malt and some hops. Light to medium body and ok.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
HOPSHUNTER (742) - Tampa, Florida, USA - APR 5, 2010
Bottle courtesy of jbye4334. Poured a clear, light golden color with a large, lasting, soapy white head. Very good looking beer. Toasted grain and floral hops drive the nose, light spice note is also present. Medium body with a crisp mouth feel and lively carbonation. Flavor is toasted biscuity malt with really earthy hops which provide note of pine, grass, herbs, and flowers. Light notes of caramel and bread are there as is a astringent aspirin like bitterness which I do not care for. Finishes with more of this aspirin or bile like bitterness. meh...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
dionysus (1473) - Arizona, USA - APR 4, 2010
First off, i’m truly shocked at the number of people who get tunnel vision when it comes to IPA’s for some reason. Apparently if it doesn’t decimate your tongue, or rip the enamel from your teeth, people don’t feel that it’s a "good" IPA. Being an American, i blame it on our aggressive lifestyle and inability to deviate from what’s trendy and popular. Well i’m gonna climb off my soapbox now and get down to the real deal. Bottle pours orange with a fair size off white head that leaves some lacing. Aroma shows biscuit, butterscotch, orange peel, tea leaves, wood, pine, and some nice florals. Flavor shows all the same, and more. I only had 1 bottle of this at the time and I would like to sit down with at least several more to fully appreciate what’s in there. Overall it starts lightly sweet, and finishes dry and light to moderately bitter. Bravo, it’s nice to see an IPA that isn’t just citrus, caramel, and pine.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
BBB63 (6507) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - APR 4, 2010
Bottle and served in Imperial pint glass: Crystal clean golden hue topped by a lovely fluffy white head which left sheets of lacework upon the glassware. The aroma has notes of grassy, herbal, floral and slight spicy classic British hops, Maris Otter or Golden Promise malt it appears, touch of honey, and some light fruity and hard Burton mineral water vapours. The taste does not hide the moderate English bitterness either and when combined with the minerals and malt profile makes this a wonderful olde world IPA, not overly fruity, spicy or resiny. The mouth feel is a tad too lively IMO but hardly much of a concern unless on tap, very dry bony finish. I happen to like this quite a lot, I nice attempt on a style that is often boring or bland when attempted by American brewers. I like how it appears that Left Hand modified the water to make this truer to the expected style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
bu11zeye (12364) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - APR 4, 2010
(12oz, bottled 02/03/10, courtesy of angrypirate06) Pours a clear golden body with a medium white head. Aroma of caramel, bread, florals, grapefruit, and herbs. Flavor of herbs, caramel malt, pine, and grass with a bitter finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Elwood (3336) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - APR 3, 2010
Serving: 12 oz. bottle from Fireworks. It pours a deep gold color with a sizeable foamy white head. The nose is decidedly fruity with notes of perhaps English malt. The taste is hard to figure out. Pale malts, a bit of eraser, burnt plastic (but not in a bad way if that makes any sense). Floral and fruit notes are there, but I am not sure I would consider this an IPA. Perhaps my bottle has a bit too much age on it. The random mix of flavors doesn’t necessarily play together well either. Medium body with medium carbonation and a medium, odd finish. I would say skip this one but I will seek out another, fresher bottle to rerate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
GranvilleTim (1778) - Granville, Illinois, USA - APR 2, 2010
Amber pour with a white head. Aroma of hops and sweet malt. Taste is sweet malt, the hops are well-balanced with everything. Very tasty. Mild carbonation.-goes down easy. I am not on ethat knows specific styles- I am one that likes a beer regardless of whatever. I like this beer. Well done.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
HonkeyBra (3833) - Lemont, Illinois, USA - APR 1, 2010
UPDATED: APR 2, 2010 Deep orange pour with sparse head. Doughy aroma with powdered sugar sweetness, noticeable leafy bitterness. Nice, leafy, weedy hop flavor with caramel and toffee malt. A bit of spiciness. Basically, it’s a well-balanced IPA. Some resiny bitterness. Medium mouthfeel with an almost creamy mouthfeel. A lot of carbonation. Almost no apparent alcohol. Finishes long and bitter.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
fidelis83 (2213) - Clinton, Iowa, USA - APR 1, 2010
Pours amber with a 1 finger chunky off white head that has great retention and leaves very nice lacing. Aroma is light caramel, biscuit, citrus, English-y (fuggles?) hops, a little sulpher and some herbal notes. Flavor is loaded with biscuit, some caramel, light citrus, dried grass, straw, toffee and a light hop bitterness to finish with a toasty fade. Palate is light to medium bodied with a moderate, though a bit overly sharp carbonation, a little slick on entry and somewhat dry to the finish. Not a bad take on the English-y style of IPA, but I might be able to mistake it for a regular pale ale. Could definitely use some work on the aroma and palate too.